Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multiple warnings suddenly appearing

M

MarkRubinstein

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Today, having not used the van for a week there were several warnings on the dashboard.

1. A yellow warning light that apparently relates to the exhaust system
  2. The adblue warning went from 3,000 miles to 650 miles and there is a spanner and adblue yellow warning
  3. an oil warning light and the message
Can anyone suggest what this might be?
IMG_20221016_161718.jpg

IMG_20221016_162316.jpg

I had the oil warning light come on on one of our work T6, it was a damaged wire underneath the van.
For all of the lights to come on at the same time is there any chance rodents have got into the engine bay and had a chew?

ANCEL VD500 OBD II Diagnostic Scanner for Volkswagen VW Audi Skoda Seat Diagnosis Check Engine Light EPB ABS SRS Code Reader Oil Throttle Position Adaption Brake Pad Reset Tool https://amzn.eu/d/3dGNpQ6
If you’re planning on keeping your van for a while I can recommend getting a code reader or similar.

Today, having not used the van for a week there were several warnings on the dashboard.

1. A yellow warning light that apparently relates to the exhaust system
  2. The adblue warning went from 3,000 miles to 650 miles and there is a spanner and adblue yellow warning
  3. an oil warning light and the message
Can anyone suggest what this might be?
View attachment 100592

View attachment 100593
Phone VW Assistance. It is run by the AA but insist on a VW Assistance technician. They have priority with VW Dealers if they cannot fix themselves.

Phone VW Assistance. It is run by the AA but insist on a VW Assistance technician. They have priority with VW Dealers if they cannot fix themselves.
Our local garage can’t see it until early November and Eurovans Crawley not until mid November so at Eurovans suggestion we called AA (before I saw the recommendation from @WelshGas to ask for a VW technician. His diagnostics are below and he agree with @Kevthegas that a rodent or fox could have nibbled some wires
2B6BF28D-D5D3-4A4B-AEAF-46339C20D144.jpeg

Now I need to find someone near Brighton who can fix it this month. Any suggestions?

It might be a near empty battery. We has lots of errors on our van first years but after solar panel install with charging of all batteries never an error. First, measure voltage of starter battery, should be 12.7 V. If less charge it for 24 hours with a proper charger.

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.
I’m tried disconnecting the battery but no Chang. Now, after a few weeks waiting it has been looked at and @Kevthegas was correct; some rodent, probably a squirrel, had eaten at wires. Over £500 to fix but at least we know what it is.

Any suggestions of ways to detract rodents ?

Mark

I’m tried disconnecting the battery but no Chang. Now, after a few weeks waiting it has been looked at and @Kevthegas was correct; some rodent, probably a squirrel, had eaten at wires. Over £500 to fix but at least we know what it is.

Any suggestions of ways to detract rodents ?

Mark
You can deter rodents from chewing wires by fitting anti rodent Tape, it is impregnated with Chilli extract.
search on line

I used this after it happened twice

Hasn’t reoccurred.

Hell of a job applying it. Drove the van up onto chocks and then wrap around all cables while lying under the van. Better than £500 a month bill.

Hasn’t reoccurred.

Hell of a job applying it. Drove the van up onto chocks and then wrap around all cables while lying under the van. Better than £500 a month bill.
The garage just called as they have found more wires chewed. £1,300. Apparently it is third vehicle this month with rodent damage

The garage just called as they have found more wires chewed. £1,300. Apparently it is third vehicle this month with rodent damage
I was never sure if it was rats, squirrels or foxes. It was £350 my first time with ABS wires replaced and then a week later happened again but garage patched it together for £100. Mechanic showed me the chewed wire.
I was dumbfounded about what to do. Van has to be parked there.

The tape worked for me but quite a DIY job. Garage may do for you.

Supposedly the wires contain Soy which the critters like a lot. If you search top right for ‘rodent’ you will find a lot of discussions and solutions v

Last edited:
Spray on anti rodent lacquer is also available.

3600F7BE-1A53-433F-A8BA-461E6182D359.png

I forgot to say, if you chose to do it, please don’t jack up the van to put on the tape. I’ve had my VW Golf jack snap and car collapse narrowly missing my arm a couple of years ago. I wouldn’t get under a jacked up vehicle unless it was a professional jack.

I forgot to say, if you chose to do it, please don’t jack up the van to put on the tape. I’ve had my VW Golf jack snap and car collapse narrowly missing my arm a couple of years ago. I wouldn’t get under a jacked up vehicle unless it was a professional jack.
Wise words. You could use levelling ramps to gain some height. I work under My van and car but I have some huge lumps of timber in the garage which I always use to back up the jack. I swiped it off the railway so you can imagine how sturdy and big these blocks are. Don't just use a crappy old pallet

Hasn’t reoccurred.

Sorry to hear of this happening, fingers crossed it continues to deter your local pests. Unfortunately it didn't work for me, after spending hours under the van wrapping everything in the tape, after about a year another (expensive) attack where they've chewed the spicy wire and had to have adblue and nox sensors replaced.

chewed.jpg
I've even got a K&K Marderabwehr M9700 fitted - by VW at their expense, after *lots* of playing up about the fundamental design failure to protect the controls of the vehicle - but nope

https://www.kuk-marderabwehr.de/en/kaufen/high-voltage-devices/m9700-the-autonomous-device/

I've since spent more time underneath wrapping wires with metal scourers, zip ties and chilli. Bit of a mess
new_deter.jpg

However I've not been able to do everything and as such just yesterday by exhaust system & adblue sensors lit up and I can see tubing under the van so another trip to the workshop awaits

I think only a physical barrier will stop them so without possibility of having a garage in London will have to make something to go underneath the van to stop them getting under there.

Back