Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multivan based California Announced

owen_h

owen_h

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Article on Autocar reporting that next California will be based on the Multivan. To be revealed later this year (2023):

No idea what "digital services for the California community" as referenced in the article would mean. Direct link to this forum or list of campsites on the satnav perhaps?

Most info they have released for a while but still says very little in reality. Hybrid was always the way to go and it is how most manufacturers are getting around the upcoming (although may be delayed, some EU countries already sending signals they won't comply) ICE "ban".

It effectively means most are developing ICE engines with tiny electric motors strapped to them and calling them hybrid.

Be interesting to know what modifications they will make to the Multivan because without any sizing changes it's an effective 3/4 sized Cali, which makes it a 1 - 2 person van at best. But of course, it doesn't elaborate.

Digital services is twaddle. We had the same when the second Qashqai was launched. There were spreadsheets floating about showing the millions to be made from sales of these services. They all bombed. At this point in time it's marketing spiel inserted by a PR person to a speech.

Last edited:
If this is true I’m pleased I ordered a T6.1. The Multivan (unless significantly modified) is far too much like an MPV with a lower driving position. Can’t beat a proper van! I should probably reserve judgement though until I see it…

Last edited:
If this is true then I’ll be placing an order for a hybrid version.
As long as it functions as a Campervan for a minimum of 2 then I’ll be more than happy. Electric for short trips to the shops in our advancing years and long distance without range anxiety and car dimensions and 2m or less height. Function over Form is more important as far as I’m concerned.
Others will disagree but the writing is on the wall. The Transporter based California is dead. The California Surf is the last gasp. A full electric California with a reasonable range is for the future.
At least a Multivan based California will be a VW, and it has been said in the past that the SE/Ocean is based on the Caravelle and the Multivan is the new Caravelle.

Yes, if you can live with the compromises then this Multivan version might be of interest to some.
If there are compromises. We will have to wait and see, because whatever transpires in the future the Surf is the last gasp and the T6.1 California is on the way out and that's a given.

If they were to do a long wheel base version it could work well. I can’t see a substantially smaller van than the Transporter working - unless it replaces the Caddy Cali.

If there are compromises. We will have to wait and see, because whatever transpires in the future the Surf is the last gasp and the T6.1 California is on the way out and that's a given.
There will undoubtedly be compromises with the MBQ platform, such as payload, towing, reduced internal area off the top of my head.

If this is true then I’ll be placing an order for a hybrid version.
As long as it functions as a Campervan for a minimum of 2 then I’ll be more than happy. Electric for short trips to the shops in our advancing years and long distance without range anxiety and car dimensions and 2m or less height. Function over Form is more important as far as I’m concerned.
Others will disagree but the writing is on the wall. The Transporter based California is dead. The California Surf is the last gasp. A full electric California with a reasonable range is for the future.
At least a Multivan based California will be a VW, and it has been said in the past that the SE/Ocean is based on the Caravelle and the Multivan is the new Caravelle.
FWIW, I do believe the 7 seater van called a Caravelle (T5,T6) in the UK, is named a Multivan in othercountries. And the Shuttle (<9 seats) in the UK is called a Caravelle in many other countries. Different names for different markets. Here we say the Cali is based on the Multivan...

Perhaps there was some copyright issue at the time with the name Multivan in the UK. In the rest of Europe a T5/6 Caravelle is a stripped down T5/6 Multivan (Kombi style seating without rails, etc.)

Last edited:
Maybe they will have a family on california? Caddy, multivan, Id buzz and the new van based on the ford transit.

It would work for me. I wanted a more fun and versatile car for weekend walk and hired a california for 2 days. It was not for me. I loved it once stationary but hated the drive. I swore all weekend at people saying it drives like a car ;-)

So I would love a cali based on a car not a van. The id buzz is a no. I keep my cars forever and battery do not work for me so multivan cali would fit the bill and is very exciting!

So we are in agreement the old Multivan/Caravelle is/was the base vehicle for the California so it seems perfectly possible the New Multivan could be the base vehicle for a new California, maybe 2 rather than 4 berth and the new Ford/VW collaboration a slightly larger 4 adult berth California. That will do me as long as it is available as a hybrid.

Lots of ways to save weight. No need for the Engine Coolant heating with a petrol engine, likewise no DPF. Two 75amp AGM leisure batteries replaced by one 100 amp Lithium Leisure Battery increasing usable leisure power from 75 to 100 amps. Manual roof etc:, never mind lighter seats

Evolution, it’s inevitable. We’ll be content so long as whatever is available functions as a ‘Campervan’. We all have slightly different requirements, there’s always a compromise. For us, 2 adults and a dug.

So we are in agreement the old Multivan/Caravelle is/was the base vehicle for the California so it seems perfectly possible the New Multivan could be the base vehicle for a new California, maybe 2 rather than 4 berth and the new Ford/VW collaboration a slightly larger 4 adult berth California. That will do me as long as it is available as a hybrid.

Lots of ways to save weight. No need for the Engine Coolant heating with a petrol engine, likewise no DPF. Two 75amp AGM leisure batteries replaced by one 100 amp Lithium Leisure Battery increasing usable leisure power from 75 to 100 amps. Manual roof etc:, never mind lighter seats
@WelshGas you’re on a roll today! Saying it all for me! ……I’d have a Hybrid version of one of these……for 2 people who want big adventures but still need to ’run around the block’ in between road trips then what’s not to like?

Be interesting to know what modifications they will make to the Multivan because without any sizing changes it's an effective 3/4 sized Cali,
Was curious on size so I checked online. Multi van is wider, practically the same length and while shorter, has a lower floor so look like it could work unless I got something really wrong?

22324AD7-B6F5-4458-9B38-FFBC0B00ED1C.png

Was curious on size so I checked online. Multi van is wider, practically the same length and while shorter, has a lower floor so look like it could work unless I got something really wrong?

View attachment 106327
It's down to usable inside space and the front slope on the window. What you don't see from this angle is the Multivan window slopes a lot more that eats into the inside length quite a lot. Same in height. Go take 10cm off the inside of your Cali. It's very noticeable. As is the narrower top of a multi vs a Cali.

You can see on the Cali Chris video his attempt to sleep in it and the actual usable inside space. The Cali is so optimised that it's effectively morphed into exactly the perfect inside dimensions IMHO - anything smaller than that you're bouncing into Bongo territory. My understanding on floor space as well, from when we worked on Leaf, is a great big battery spread across the floor does remove some inside space as well, especially in the boot.

TBH I'm happy with my 3/4 observation, which for some might be fine.

Did a mock as well to check I was not a lunatic, assuming length about the same! I have raised the Multi up to match floor rather than wheels but will depend on the battery space used.

1679659601247.png

Last edited:
It's down to usable inside space and the front slope on the window. What you don't see from this angle is the Multivan window slopes a lot more that eats into the inside length quite a lot. Same in height. Go take 10cm off the inside of your Cali. It's very noticeable. As is the narrower top of a multi vs a Cali.

You can see on the Cali Chris video his attempt to sleep in it and the actual usable inside space. The Cali is so optimised that it's effectively morphed into exactly the perfect inside dimensions IMHO - anything smaller than that you're bouncing into Bongo territory. My understanding on floor space as well, from when we worked on Leaf, is a great big battery spread across the floor does remove some inside space as well, especially in the boot.

TBH I'm happy with my 3/4 observation, which for some might be fine.
Not disagreeing but figured the picture would help. Haven’t seen the Cali Chris video (yet) either but here you go, looks very close?

6CAD78EC-DC65-484D-B64B-4B12BDFEC595.png

The sense of denial here (and elsewhere on the forum) is palpable. This new model is a game changer compared to any upgrade since 2004. T5 to 5.1, to 6 to 6.1 were minor fiddles in comparison.
They were all greeted with "I prefer the look of the older model" (me included), and "this will just firm up residuals of the previous model".... But it never happened.
A £75k t6.1 is going to look very old hat come October. Vw know that, hence the special offers and the 'new' Surf.
Demand has collapsed and has seen lead times coming in from 18 mths to 2 mths in less than 3mths.
I'd think long and hard about putting £75k in a diesel Cali. The amazing residuals have been based on them still being desirable at 40 years old. My 17 year old T5 is still worth nearly 2/3rds of its new price. What's the betting that's still the case in 2040 for a diesel T6.1?

My understanding is this will still be a full VW product, not the Ford that everyone was poo pooing.

We looked at the Multivan and it feels like a car inside or a MPV type taxi, very reminiscent of a Ford Galaxy or similar. It’s feels quite small inside for it’s size and felt completely wrong dimensionally for a camper. The T6.1 felt much larger internally. That’s why we ordered a new T6.1 before they discontinue them. Very pleased we did this now.

I've controversially said (so don't need correcting again) that a Cali only makes sense if you use it as at least a 2nd car. That if it was going to hang around unused waiting for holidays and high days, then you might as well have something bigger, with headroom and a toilet and shower.
I think a new Cali built on the 'car like' "smaller" multivan strengthens this argument.

The sense of denial here (and elsewhere on the forum) is palpable. This new model is a game changer compared to any upgrade since 2004. T5 to 5.1, to 6 to 6.1 were minor fiddles in comparison.
They were all greeted with "I prefer the look of the older model" (me included), and "this will just firm up residuals of the previous model".... But it never happened.
Not sure what you mean by sense of denial or game changer? It can only be as good as the Cali inside. VW have pretty much perfected that interior over the decades. So what is the game changer, the fact it is hybrid or electric? Diesel will be around a good few years after 2035. Many off us bought a new T6.1s well aware of what was around the corner. We just loved it when we tried it out. No range anxiety. If we get 15 great years out of our Cali then we will be more than happy. I don't care about residuals. My guess is residuals on Diesels might actually go up after 2035. An all electric might be the way to go. It will be interesting to see what the prices are of a new all electric are? Yes, let us hope it is an improvement, that way new owners will have an even better campervan to enjoy and I will be there to welcome them to the forum :)

Also, I would be really wary of hybrid. Many manufacturers are putting tiny electric engines in so they can avoid emission legislation by calling it a hybrid. My guess is hybrid will not be far behind Diesel in it's demise. Once diesel or petrol are no longer available a hybrid is toast too.

Finally, on the drivability of the Cali, I traded in my Jaguar F-type and am more than happy at the way the Cali drives. Ok it isn't a V8 JAG but I used to really struggle cooking and sleeping in my JAG.

Diesels might well be still around in 2035, BUT so will LEZ's. The Welsh District Council, sorry Assembly, is planning on passing the necessary Legal Instruments to convert the M4 around Newport and the A470 around Pontypridd into LEZ zones, and guess what they plan on charging £12.50 for each entry into the zone.

My view is that if VW want to keep selling a ‘mid size’ California camping vehicle for the next 2 to 3 years and ongoing then the Multivan is their only option that could be available in the short to mid term.
The collaboration with Ford is probably the most suitable base based on size and drivetrain options but as far as I know the vw version doesn’t even exist as a render yet let alone something that could be given to a development team to work out how to develop into a California.
The Multivan exists in the metal and development work (on conversion to a camper) probably started a while ago so it’s ready when supply of the T6 base vehicle stops. They will need to re tool the Cali conversion factory for the changeover but at least the supply of base vehicles is a more known prospect. There should then be a California for the dealers to sell in 2024/25.
The Buzz is almost something they are obligated to produce as a ‘camper’ for brand and heritage reasons. Even if it will be compromised in space and touring range. But again like the Multivan they have a real existing bit of metal to give to the development team.

Back