Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Must have 5 accessories for newbie!

Barticus

Barticus

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
hi everyone

Sorry if this has been asked before but we were told by the dealer that our new t6 beach will be here in 6 weeks and not the end of August. You can imagine our excitement but also our trepidation as this means getting onto the forum and brushing up on essential hints and tips as a new CAli owner ASAP. There are a few things we are going to buy, a roof topper & screen cover, a bellows bungee, levelling ramps and a spare wheel protector. We already have a vango drive away awning and I have a builder friend putting in 2 x security drop post into our drive as the Cali will be kept in plain view for extra security too.

What must have accessories should we also consider. We would really welcome all your views from experienced 'dubsters.

looks like you have most avenue,s covered kettle and food

You got a good package there allready , you'l find out your needs after a few trips and then get some stuff , don't get to much in advance you'l end up trowing a lot in the attic or garage afterwarts.
And remember the clubshop has most of the things you need with discounts for VIP members .

Anyone got a good fridge option for a beach. We have a 3yr old so need something. The small ones that fit in between the front seats seem too small????

I guess "Need to haves" is very individual matter ;-)

My own game changers (in random order) are:
  • Booth drawer
  • Under sink drawers
  • Levelling blocks
  • Spare safe
  • Hook up cable
  • Bike rack
  • Roof bars
  • Roof box
  • Seat covers
  • Cali topper
  • Screen cover
  • Comfort mattress
  • Cadac Safari
  • Pegs and straps "tie down awning" kit
  • Protective foil for kitchen top
  • Wine glasses

Anyone got a good fridge option for a beach. We have a 3yr old so need something. The small ones that fit in between the front seats seem too small????
Any Waeco/Dometic fridge to suit your needs. They are excellent well made fridge/freezers that use very little power and don't make any noise. We use a Dometic CFX 35 in our Beach. It can be run off a 12, 24 or 240 volts power supply.
image.jpeg
When full up They are pretty heavy so make sure you strap it down well to the floor rails when traveling. We use two of the floor rail fixing eyes that the shop sell and a rachet strap.

Last edited:
:)Seat covers, mats and hook up cable along with a bottle opener

• Booth drawer
  • Under sink drawers
  • Levelling blocks
  • Spare safe
  • Hook up cable
  • Bike rack
  • Roof bars
  • Roof box
  • Seat covers
  • Cali topper
  • Screen cover
  • Comfort mattress
  • Cadac Safari
  • Wine glasses

Only the wine glasses are must haves , all the other stuff you can do without ...:D

Any Waeco/Dometic fridge to suit your needs. They are excellent well made fridge/freezers that use very little power and don't make any noise. We use a Dometic CFX 35 in our Beach. It can be run off a 12, 24 or 240 volts power supply.
View attachment 31836
When full up They are pretty heavy so make sure you strap it down well to the floor rails when traveling. We use two of the floor rail fixing eyes that the shop sell and a rachet strap.
Does it fit between the front seats?

Hi and welcome!
As far as I remember the nr 11 from waeco fits between (I guess someone knows exactly here).
Everything else is already written: go out, try what fits your needs, adjust your shopping list and enjoy a fantastic camper!

No, it's too big. We keep it immediately behind the front seats when traveling. It's also useful as a spare seat or foot stool.

No, it's too big. We keep it immediately behind the front seats when traveling. It's also useful as a spare seat or foot stool.
We do the same with our fridge.

In my opinion, a bellow's bungee is unnecessary for a Beach. Indeed, it can increase the risk of getting the canvass caught in the fastening clips.

We spent our money on Jackyards seat covers. Very expensive but easy to remove to wash. (We have already washed ours twice and they are in need of a third wash).

Sheets for the upper berth if using a duvet.

Sheets for the lower berth if using a duvet.

Solar panels for the roof. In the summer months we can camp indefinitely without hookup with 200 watts of solar power. (Fridge, internal lighting, external lighting, phone charging, tablet charging, MiFi, heater startup and pump, torch recharge.)

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Well, supposedly we are now in spring so perhaps offset a little by the weather but some form of roof insulation.
My 1st trip was easter and fortunately I bought the cali topper before hand. Frankly I cant imagine what it would have been like without it in the relentless rain but there are a few options out there internal and external.
OK thats not 5 things but as others have said keep your money in your pocket until you know you need something.

hi everyone

Sorry if this has been asked before but we were told by the dealer that our new t6 beach will be here in 6 weeks and not the end of August. You can imagine our excitement but also our trepidation as this means getting onto the forum and brushing up on essential hints and tips as a new CAli owner ASAP. There are a few things we are going to buy, a roof topper & screen cover, a bellows bungee, levelling ramps and a spare wheel protector. We already have a vango drive away awning and I have a builder friend putting in 2 x security drop post into our drive as the Cali will be kept in plain view for extra security too.

What must have accessories should we also consider. We would really welcome all your views from experienced 'dubsters.

Not an accessory as such but I'd really recommend that you take out the 5yr extended warranty. I believe that it has to be done in the first 90 days from registration.

hi everyone

I would try to attend a meet, if you can, and see what others have bought. People are very open about what they have found works and what was a waste of money. It's different things for different ways of using the vehicle. Ask people how they put, for example, the Topper on. I struggled with mine for a long time and only recently have had the "Eureka" moment when it is now straightforward.

• Booth drawer
  • Under sink drawers
  • Levelling blocks
  • Spare safe
  • Hook up cable
  • Bike rack
  • Roof bars
  • Roof box
  • Seat covers
  • Cali topper
  • Screen cover
  • Comfort mattress
  • Cadac Safari
  • Wine glasses
Thanks Kmann for your list. Helpful.
I'm collecting a T5 California in a couple of weeks. Got a number of the items on this list already.
Question: why protective foil for kitchen top?

Chris

Thanks Kmann for your list. Helpful.
I'm collecting a T5 California in a couple of weeks. Got a number of the items on this list already.
Question: why protective foil for kitchen top?

Chris

We found that many things land on the kitchen top, and despite carefulness, it is glass and will easily be scratched. So only from a esthetic perspective.

But this of cause only applies to OCEAN and COAST owners ;-)

We found that many things land on the kitchen top, and despite carefulness, it is glass and will easily be scratched. So only from a esthetic perspective.

But this of cause only applies to OCEAN and COAST owners ;-)
OK.
Mine's a 10 year old second hand model that has glass tops too, as I recall. I wanted to check if there was issues with the tops breaking. Clearly not, but a cover makes sense so the surface is as usable as possible.

Thanks

@Ajspicer sells some excellent self adhesive worktops that are cut to fit exactly and are excellent value.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/essential-accessories-for-a-new-california.14520/#post-154390

We've been undecided about the protector but decided to purchase and currently waiting for delivery. Our 62 plate SE has some minor scuffs so thought it was worth protecting from our four-year old boys. I think we might then put some stickers that we intend to collect during our travels on it to make it a bit more personalised.

View attachment 31836
We have been using this type of fridge on our year long tour round Europe. It has enough space to stock up with 3/4 day’s food for the 4 of us. (2 adults + 2 children). Use UHT milk instead of fresh milk to cut down the amount of fridge space needed. Even enough space to cool your evening’s bottle of wine...