Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My Factory Warranty has not been registered with VW .........................

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
A warning regarding the factory extended warranty.

I bought and paid for the factory extended warranty when I took delivery in March last year. When I asked about documentation for the warranty I was told that there isn't any - it is all electronic and is registered on the VW system. When I spoke to the service department a few weeks ago I asked the receptionist to confirm that she could see that my vehicle is covered by an extended warranty - it looked to her as though it is just a standard 3 year warranty. Since then I have been trying to get some clarity from both the dealer and VW Customer Service. I do now have a copy of an invoice from the dealer showing that I paid for an extended warranty - the cost I paid is the cost for the 2 year 80,000 extension but the line on the invoice states "AA extended warranty" !!!!! (Not that an AA policy has been taken out on my vehicle either). I have queried this but am yet to receive any clarification from the dealer.

I have also raised a case with VWCS. They have also confirmed that my vehicle is NOT registered with an extended factory warranty. The case manager at VWCS has been extremely sympathetic to date and is going to raise this with the dealer. We'll see. I have evidence that I paid the money and an email trail from the salesman (now departed) that discussed the extended factory warranty. But I can see VW refusing to resolve this due to their requirement for extended warranties to be registered within 3 months.

Another sorry tale ................................................
In the meantime, I suggest that all those of you that have purchased the extended factory warranty ensure that you have evidence of this and that you are satisfied that it is registered on the VW system.

I'll won't name and shame the dealer yet (although many of you will know who it is from previous posts). But I will if this isn't resolved soon.

:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad

How about any paid upfront services?

How about any paid upfront services?
I paid for 4 services upfront. That seems to be fine. I received documentation confirming the service plan and the service department has confirmed that the plan is registered.

Thanks for the heads up - I had the issue on our Cali when I took delivery last year. I had the invoice but when I contacted VWCS they advised it hadn't been applied. Then got into dialogue with Dealer and VWCS and got email to confirm it had been applied from VVCS - I'll call to double check that it's on their system now though.

Reactions: DM
Thanks for the heads up - I had the issue on our Cali when I took delivery last year. I had the invoice but when I contacted VWCS they advised it hadn't been applied. Then got into dialogue with Dealer and VWCS and got email to confirm it had been applied from VVCS - I'll call to double check that it's on their system now though.
When did you get yours sorted - was it within the 90 days?

When I asked about documentation for the warranty I was told that there isn't any - it is all electronic and is registered on the VW system.
Sad to say but I don't believe you have been informed correctly. I have the 2 year extended 80k miles and was given a single sheet conformation stating just that, with Engine Number, VIN number etc., along with formal invoice (on proper tax dated stationery). Keep pushing they must have a record of the transaction - in my mind legally this would be the registration date of your extended warranty. I think I would be a little concerned that your invoice from the dealer says "AA Extended Warranty". You do need confirmation about what that means. All the best.

EDIT: My dealer was VW Van Center - Birmingham.

Sad to say but I don't believe you have been informed correctly. I have the 2 year extended 80k miles and was given a single sheet conformation stating just that, with Engine Number, VIN number etc., along with formal invoice (on proper tax dated stationery). Keep pushing they must have a record of the transaction - in my mind legally this would be the registration date of your extended warranty. I think I would be a little concerned that your invoice from the dealer says "AA Extended Warranty". You do need confirmation about what that means. All the best.
Thanks JW. I fear you are correct. I suspect this fell through a gap when the salesman I was dealing with left 2 days before handover. At the moment I will give them the benefit of the doubt that this is a genuine mistake. I have evidence that I paid the money. My concern is that VW will just say - tough it's a dealer error and warranties cannot be registered after 90 days. In which case I will be seeking legal advice. Watch this space.

ittle concerned
I'm VERY concerned. Not that an AA Warranty has been taken out on the vehicle either.

I'm wondering whether this is close to fraud - they have taken my money, told me I have a warranty, and banked it without purchasing anything on my behalf.

Thanks JW. I fear you are correct. I suspect this fell through a gap when the salesman I was dealing with left 2 days before handover. At the moment I will give them the benefit of the doubt that this is a genuine mistake. I have evidence that I paid the money. My concern is that VW will just say - tough it's a dealer error and warranties cannot be registered after 90 days. In which case I will be seeking legal advice. Watch this space.
I don't want to be alarmist but why did the Salesman leave? When you say you have paid the money did you check it was to VW Van Center name/number whatever they are?

Good luck I'm sure you will be able to sort it as you have proof of pavement.
Your quite right you should have documentation. I have a PDF from dealer outlining the service plan and registration of the extended warranty against the VIN of the Cali.
For housekeeping reasons I keep a hard copy in the vehicle and on line in my Dropbox account along with scanned copies of all vehicle documents passports etc.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Thanks
No idea why the salesman left - he was a bit useless. I suspect he jumped before he was pushed. But he left before I paid for either the van or the warranty. The Dealer has acknowledged that I paid the them . So I'm ok on that bit.

No idea why the salesman left - he was a bit useless. I suspect he jumped before he was pushed. But he left before I paid for either the van or the warranty. The Dealer has acknowledged that I paid the them . So I'm ok on that bit.
A sound foundation from which to do battle!

DM your contract is with the dealer here, they have failed and it is for them to sort out. They have to honour the agreement.
A suitably worded letter should do the trick.

• Thanks
DM your contract is with the dealer here, they have failed and it is for them to sort out. They have to honour the agreement.
A suitably worded letter should do the trick.
You are absolutely right - but they need VW to cooperate to register the warranty late - they cannot do it on their own. Hence my twin pronged approach.

You are absolutely right - but they need VW to cooperate to register the warranty late - they cannot do it on their own. Hence my twin pronged approach.
Yes, the dealer needs a roasting from the centre...

• Agree
Not sure if it helps or hinders but I've not got any documentation for my extended warranty either...

Me neither, just told it's been registered on the system. You used to get a plastic card which you could keep in the service pack which was a better system but they will be trying to cut costs.

Me neither, just told it's been registered on the system. You used to get a plastic card which you could keep in the service pack which was a better system but they will be trying to cut costs.
False economy - I've cost them considerably more than the cost of a plastic card just on phone calls so far !

All correct the trail to finding your missing warranty is difficult and that seems to be the case for most people. In my case after several calls to VWCS they agreed to issue a covering letter.
A point to bear in mind is the extended warranty does not include breakdown cover. (to my knowledge)
After two years of chasing VWCS for information they still do not appear to have updated their system on documentation.
A receipt or proof of purchase is surely a given one would expect, after all its not for free.
So much for customer.

the extended warranty does not include breakdown cover
That's correct. The extended warranty is a continuation of the factory warranty for defects relating to the vehicle (inc camping interior). Breakdown is provided by VW Assist which is a separate breakdown service. 3 years is provided with the vehicle. I understand that it is extendable after 3 years but that this would only be done around the expiry time. Can anyone confirm?

That's correct. The extended warranty is a continuation of the factory warranty for defects relating to the vehicle (inc camping interior). Breakdown is provided by VW Assist which is a separate breakdown service. 3 years is provided with the vehicle. I understand that it is extendable after 3 years but that this would only be done around the expiry time. Can anyone confirm?
I believe you are correct but I would probably switch to another provider!

I have checked my documents and I have the invoice for the warranty extension and the cost of it has been clearly included in the payment made to the dealer but nothing from VW except for the service plan.

I just called VW to confirm and there is no trace of the extended warranty on their system, only for the service plan. A case has been opened and someone will be in touch in a couple of days. If its not registered, they want proof of purchase (invoice) to progress it.

I seem to vaguely recall that the salesman said that it will be registered with VW and that no documentation will be issued. This appears to be the case (not getting anything from VW) judging from all your comments. I cannot believe ALL dealers are pulling a fast one.

This post had me worried so I have just been into my dealer and ours also has no trace of an extended warranty on the vehicle even though it is on my final invoice, after some digging around he says the extended warranty was not available for the California and should not of been added. If this is correct I feel they need to honour the warranty still?

Why is everything to do with VW such a hassle !!

I've just spoken to VWCS and my extended warranty and service plan wasn't showing on their system. The lady phoned VW Van Centre Lancashire on my behalf and I've received two emails with my service plan contract number and a copy of my extended warranty registration. All in all it took about 15 minutes.

Back