Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My Factory Warranty has not been registered with VW .........................

Thanks JW so it does look like they still do the 2 year extended factory option - either capped at 80,000 or 150,000 miles

Got our van April 2019 and when I checked with VW to confirm our extended warranty ( been in with the deal) it took them ages to find it and eventually did .. they said it was on a different ‘database’ and referred to DB called ELSA !
This might be useful information - There are two databases as far as I know. They are called "SAGA/2 and Elsa Pro". Back in 2017 you had to be registered on both and only VWCS have access, the dealers do not have any access. I believe one is based in the UK and one in Germany and they are only updated every three months.

Were you referring to the extended factory warranty - years 4 and 5 - have amended my post (rather than referring to factory warranty as 'them' as I think there is more than 1 type of warranty in the original post I quoted ) ?
Yes. You could buy an extension for years 4 & 5, within .90 days of 1st registration, exactly the same Factory Warranty for about £390 and there was a milage limit as well.

If you don’t buy this extension then after 3 yrs VW offer an Insurance Warranty with an awful lot of conditions and exclusions for about £600+ for 1 year.

Its a nightmare. After all the problems with mine the only evidence I have is a photo of a screenshot brought up by the dealer. Its in for the first service within the extended warranty period next week so the moment of truth may have arrived if there is any warranty work required.

Just took one out yesterday and had receipt and certificate emailed back to me within a few hours - Liverpool van centre after giving up on Sheffield JCT (sent to the web by JCT , told it could only be done by VW directly not the dealer, promised an email link which did not show up - wasn't phoned back on the day, received a missed call next day, phoned back , service centre had no idea who rang and still couldn't tell me how to go about the process!). Cost £498 pounds for an extra 2 years or 80,000 miles.

Anyone taking out one of these and experiencing any problems / lack of understanding just give Josh a ring at Liverpool Van Centre. It doesn't have to be bought from where you purchased the van.

Last edited:
I’ve been chasing Chris at Liverpool for the best part of 12 months for my receipt for the extended warranty. Still waiting.

Just took one out yesterday and had receipt and certificate emailed back to me within a few hours - Liverpool van centre after giving up on Sheffield JCT (sent to the web by JCT , told it could only be done by VW directly not the dealer, promised an email link which did not show up - wasn't phoned back on the day, received a missed call next day, phoned back , service centre had no idea who rang and still couldn't tell me how to go about the process!). Cost £498 pounds for an extra 2 years or 80,000 miles.

Anyone taking out one of these and experiencing any problems / lack of understanding just give Josh a ring at Liverpool Van Centre. It doesn't have to be bought from where you purchased the van.

yep think the process is so much better now or that is what least Josh said : receipt and certificate sent back within a few hours. Would try again or maybe give Josh a ring. When I asked for Chris he said he was fairly busy ...

Last edited:
Well my fears and predictions came true today. My Cali is in a dealer for service and MOT. I’ve had issues with the infotainment from day 1. I was told today that there is a software update - but - I would have to pay because my Cali is out of Warranty.

Grrr.

They were adamant that because it is not ‘in the system’ I am not covered. Fortunately I knew to tell them to ‘check ELSA’. It did show up there and they reluctantly conceded that I am covered.

So it’s sorted - but frustrating that I had to fight. They would quite happily have taken the money off me.

Last edited:
Well my fears and predictions came true today. My Cali is in a dealer for service and MOT. I’ve had issues with the infotainment from day 1. I was told today that there is a software update - but - I would have to pay because my Cali is out of Warranty.

Grrr.

they we’re adamant that because it is not ‘in the system’. I am not covered. Fortunately I knew to tell them to ‘check ELSA’. It did show up there and they conceded that I am covered.

So it’s sorted - but frustrating that I had to fight. They would quite happily have taken the money off me.
It’s a pretty sad state when customers know more than dealers!

They would learn so much If only they would consult this site, California Chris is of course the exception to this rule.
Maybe the club should offer a consultancy service to VW, for a members discount!

• Haha
Reactions: DM
Great that it got sorted but if it didn't work from day one and the software did not have new functionality - i.e. it was to fix previous faults - then there is now way I would have been paying them to rectify it regardless of warranty

Grrr.

They were adamant that because it is not ‘in the system’ I am not covered. Fortunately I knew to tell them to ‘check ELSA’. It did show up there and they reluctantly conceded that I am covered.

I think that’s fairly typical of the factory extended warranty- I’m glad you got the right result eventually.

I think that’s fairly typical of the factory extended warranty- I’m glad you got the right result eventually.

There has been an ongoing problem with extended factory warranty from VW and dealers four at least 4/5 years of my ownership. Simple to fix you would think so come on Breeze, Liverpool van center(California Cris) state our case to VW.

• Agree
Sad to say but I don't believe you have been informed correctly. I have the 2 year extended 80k miles and was given a single sheet conformation stating just that, with Engine Number, VIN number etc., along with formal invoice (on proper tax dated stationery). Keep pushing they must have a record of the transaction - in my mind legally this would be the registration date of your extended warranty. I think I would be a little concerned that your invoice from the dealer says "AA Extended Warranty". You do need confirmation about what that means. All the best.

EDIT: My dealer was VW Van Center - Birmingham.
Same for us at Liverpool, the extended warranty sheet is kept with all the Cali docs.

Great that it got sorted but if it didn't work from day one and the software did not have new functionality - i.e. it was to fix previous faults - then there is now way I would have been paying them to rectify it regardless of warranty
Totally agree - the discussion was becoming strained!

I didn't receive anything other than the invoice line for the extended warranty and Lookers Van Centre Guildford aren't replying to my emails requesting the certificate.
Can I just phone up VW customer services to see if it has been registered? There are 10 more days before the 3 months is up so want to make sure it is registered

Surely the dealers must have access to some system which says yes or no for any vehicle otherwise they wouldn’t know if a job is chargeable.

All we have is an invoice from a dealer that inspires zero confidence in me and this thread is just reaffirming my concern at the outset.

I didn't receive anything other than the invoice line for the extended warranty and Lookers Van Centre Guildford aren't replying to my emails requesting the certificate.
Can I just phone up VW customer services to see if it has been registered? There are 10 more days before the 3 months is up so want to make sure it is registered
I would be contacting VW and getting confirmation ASAP, if they say it’s registered, get it in writing. If not raise a complaint and contact the dealer. If they play silly buggers and refuse to resolve I’d be looking at the legal route.

I have posted a number of messages under another message thread "Extended warranty...".

I was keen to extend my VW warranty towards the end of the initial 3 year term, but via the only email I received from VW, and using their website I was given the option to extend by 1 year only at a cost of £699.98

My Ocean is 3 years old with 31.8k miles

After reading all of the VW policy exclusions, I started to look at other options.

In the end I bought a 3 year (39 month) extended warranty with MotorEasy

Whilst the policy does not include the camper habitation items, it does cover more than that provided by VW.

Rather than me going in to all the details here, please refer to the other message thread.

Last edited:
  • Thanks

Recently Josh at Liverpool van centre was able to send me an invoice and receipt with the details of the extended warranty on it plus an actual "factory extended warranty certificate" branded VW commercial vehicles within a few hours of taking it out - would suggest you ask for the same and as suggested above by various posters ASAP.

For anybody about to go through the purchase process remember you can take this out with any van centre, which was why I went to Liverpool when I was given the run around by a different dealer

Surely the dealers must have access to some system which says yes or no for any vehicle otherwise they wouldn’t know if a job is chargeable.
The dealers have two systems for some reason. Mine has ended up registered on one (ELSA) but not the other (which is the one they routinely refer to). I had to insist on a printed screenshot of the ELSA record for my van to persuade them to undertake warranty work.

Well Lookers Guildford have ignored emails and failed to return 3 calls this week (can never speak to anyone in sales)

Back