Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My first drive of a Cali

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Well this morning I had my first proper drive of a Cali. Spec is 12 plate SE 180 DSG in reflex silver - 64k on clock. One previous elderly owner from new. It has standard steering wheel and air con with standard radio. Cycle rack, soft close sliding door and tailgate, comfort extra mattress, privacy glass, fly screen on sliding door, safe, black awning and lane assist. Front and rear parking sensors. Full VW main dealer service history fully documented with loads of receipts - shows last service had cambelt and waterpump at £1250! All Michelin tyres with 2 new rear fitted by main dealers!!! It appears it was money no object to maintain it.

After a look around ensuring everything worked as it should the dealer put trade plates in and said to take for a drive but he wouldn't join me as part of their COVID 19 strategy. He told me to take it for a decent drive on various roads. No smoke on start up and engine quickly settled down; parking sensors worked fine. Driving off was very smooth and imperceptible gear changes to the point it was only looking at dash to see it say gear D7. I tried it in 'S' mode and manual and worked so smoothly I was surprised. I was really surprised how quickly it got up to speed and how smooth the ride truly was but the big thing was how quiet it was; it made my T5 conversion (which is a nice ride) seem like a builders van!!

So what to do? I can't see anything written down on any receipts about excessive oil consumption or any EGR issues - I must admit I didn't look under the bonnet to see if I could see what the ref number was on EGR. The only thing I did note was it seems to go through tyres as on possibly 3rd set at 64k and rears appear on MOT's as wearing on inside - perhaps something as simple as getting 4 wheel geometry checked.

Does this seem to be one of the 180's that has behaved and avoided the EGR and oil issue; could it be due to being DSG that revs have never really got that high and elderly driver never thrashed it......................................thoughts please as everything else seems to be fine and at £35k price seems about right - the original receipt is there showing new it was £48k inclusive of all the extras.......................................???????

BTW - reason for sale was owners age and I believe he has passed away after short illness

Unfortunately you had the chance to get, and supply us with, the crucial info (egr revision code) so we are all non the wiser. Plenty of those that fail are DSG. Can you ask the dealer to send you a photo of the egr (sticker next to the oil filter). Also search the invoices for mention of egr replacement.

Sounds good but who is actually selling it...A relation of the deceased elderly owner?. If not how long has the seller owned it and why are they selling it so quickly. (Unless of course it’s a car dealer).

You can check the forum threads about what needs checking on the EGR. I don’t think that driving style has any influence.

Adjusting the camber will fix the tyre wear.

Unfortunately you had the chance to get, and supply us with, the crucial info (egr revision code) so we are all non the wiser. Plenty of those that fail are DSG. Can you ask the dealer to send you a photo of the egr (sticker next to the oil filter). Also search the invoices for mention of egr replacement.
I've asked dealer for a photo - they are only 10 min drive so I could go back tomorrow. Is it ease to view when bonnet open?

I would visit and have a look at the EGR sticker myself and discuss your concerns with the dealer, a minimum requirement for me was a dealer compression test confirming no wear on the bores, in my case the dealer (Camper Van Sales) did this and replaced the EGR with the latest revision which was brand new as well as changing the cambelt and water pump. I was happy with this and went ahead with the sale back in January this year.

Good luck!

Regards

Goss

Sounds good but who is actually selling it...A relation of the deceased elderly owner?. If not how long has the seller owned it and why are they selling it so quickly. (Unless of course it’s a car dealer).

You can check the forum threads about what needs checking on the EGR. I don’t think that driving style has any influence.

It is being sold by a local garage that deal in VW Vans etc. They are well known and I understand the chap sold it too them and hence now they selling it. I asked, as I always do, reasons behind the sale and dealer said they bought it direct off the elderly gent - he didn't purchase a vehicle from them. Dealer said the chap had explained he was ill and could no longer drive it and shortly after he understands he has died (quite recently as they've only had it about a week). Chap said the old boy had even had a full extended VW warranty and it was money no object. Outside was spotless; inside a few marks here and there but nothing bad. Even had 2 fire extinguishers, half full gaz cylinder and 2/3rd full tank of fuel

I would visit and have a look at the EGR sticker myself and discuss your concerns with the dealer, a minimum requirement for me was a dealer compression test confirming no wear on the bores, in my case the dealer (Camper Van Sales) did this and replaced the EGR with the latest revision which was brand new as well as changing the cambelt and water pump. I was happy with this and went ahead with the sale back in January this year.

Good luck!

Regards

Goss
They are well respected so I'm sure they'd probably be happy to do this. I think this is first Cali they've sold as most of their business is van hire VW's. I think they'd also stand by the sale and not the usual car sales people. I spoke with the director.

Bit random, but is it this one?..if so they got it at auction:

That's interesting - yep that's the one. The story seems to confirm dates they've had it. Perhaps sold on behalf of the chaps family but now I know this I will let them know I know. I'm waiting for call from main dealer who bought from and serviced all the way through.

That's interesting - yep that's the one. The story seems to confirm dates they've had it. Perhaps sold on behalf of the chaps family but now I know this I will let them know I know. I'm waiting for call from main dealer who bought from and serviced all the way through.

If the EGR works checks out ok, then knowing they got it at auction should hopefully give you some leverage on the price.

Plus from the auction photos you can see the true condition that it was in before the dealer gave it a good clean.

Very random but how you find that?

The power of Google! - search year & colour, one came up n Norfolk and had full reg showing in dealers photos. Google the Registration plate and Auction was the 1st hit...

Quiet day in the 'home' office!

They are well respected so I'm sure they'd probably be happy to do this. I think this is first Cali they've sold as most of their business is van hire VW's. I think they'd also stand by the sale and not the usual car sales people. I spoke with the director.
Sounds good but remember the Cali is a complicated beast and a good dealer that knows them well will be cleaning fresh and waste water tanks, gas check (habitation) as well as leisure battery load testing with results printouts etc. Sorting geometry prior to selling too? All of these bits and pieces add up...It's a lot of money so take no chances and don't rely on "seems like a nice bloke" you have already been led to believe that they bought it from the previous owner which is misleading to say the least!

Goss

and a good dealer that knows them well will be cleaning fresh and waste water tanks, gas check (habitation) as well as leisure battery load testing with results printouts etc. Sorting geometry prior to selling too
Apart from the habitation check, I'd reckon most (even 'good') dealers do NONE of the above.

Thanks and will let you know what happens next!

Apart from the habitation check, I'd reckon most (even 'good') dealers do NONE of the above.
Thank God i purchased mine from Campersales in Burgess Hill then, attention to detail was excellent so since collection not having to call about the slightest of issues.

If the EGR works checks out ok, then knowing they got it at auction should hopefully give you some leverage on the price.

Plus from the auction photos you can see the true condition that it was in before the dealer gave it a good clean.
Looking at auction photos it looks perhaps like they had a mat in the back because it's all cleaned up really well; even the seats. Wheels look new so perhaps refurbed. I notice there's a sticker on dash to right saying height of 2.13m but that's been removed now. Shame as that includes the roof bars as useful reminder.

There are various bits of velcro around so wonder if they had storage bags around. There's something in the drawer in a cream VW bag feel like it has a flexible frame in it. Could that perhaps be inner insulation in the roof? Blinds seem to work but not shut out all the light so obviously not blackouts - there doesn't seem to be one on the small window behind the fridge - I couldn't feel anything but there are grooves there; what happens here?

The storage bag might contain the older style blinds for driver, passenger & windscreen.

Not sure about the missing blind as I have a beach, but if its the small window then you I assume you could buy the below to fill the gap and create some storage:

Velcro is most probably from old storage bags.

The storage bag might contain the older style blinds for driver, passenger & windscreen.

Not sure about the missing blind as I have a beach, but if its the small window then you I assume you could buy the below to fill the gap and create some storage:

Velcro is most probably from old storage bags.
Ah thank you.

Camber not adjustable only tracking.
It is possible with an expensive kit of eccentric poly bushes.

If you look at the pics on the auction site you will see the plastic blind behind the fridge pulled out.

Regards

Goss

On my T6 there is a plastic sliding shutter for the window between wardrobe and sink area. Case of put your finger round the corner and it should slide (presume T5 the same).

Camber not adjustable only tracking.
It is possible with an expensive kit of eccentric poly bushes.
It might be the rear are only slightly out on castor causing the wear unless 20k is pretty reasonable for 235 tyres?

On my T6 there is a plastic sliding shutter for the window between wardrobe and sink area. Case of put your finger round the corner and it should slide (presume T5 the same).
Ah ha from left to right and not down from top.

Back