Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My first experience in a Cali - road trip from Kent to Isle of Skye and back again via North Wales

Niborn

Niborn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi Everyone ,

I thought I would keep a mini blog going here of what I am discovering on my very first trip , my Cali is still on order, however as I could not wait I hired a Ocean 150 DSG from Kamper Hire for 2 months and off I went yesterday to the North with my dog Hugo ! I intend so stay on Isle of Skye for a week or so and then head south to North Wales.

So far I discovered I have taken far too many things in the van, I would have preferred to travel much more light but got carried away. I have no idea how a family cope, although I have not used the storage areas yet as everything is still in bags and cases , Hugo has a huge basket behind the front seats .

Incredible but my average MPG is 48 !!!, really more than I expected , although I think my 204 4wd will not get anything like this - grateful to hear what a long trip can be like MPG with a 204 4WD T6. The first drive from Southampton where I picked up ' my ' cali from Kamper I thought the drive a bit bumpy and not so good , but I had just driven my 350cdi Mercedes which seems to lose all the little bumpy feelings. However from Kent to Cambridge I started to appreciate the van more and rather liked it . Its powerful enough , but a bit more would be nice , so I don't regret the 204 decision if the MPG is slashed . The 7 speed DSG is WONDERFUL and I would not like a Cali without . The visibility front and sides is fabulous and the driving position comfotable , vision at the back a little less good, but the mirrors and very good. It has standard lights and they were very poor. Terrible in fact . I am glad I have ordered the LED lights and the rest that goes with it. The Voice command on the SAT NAV was very good and almost as good as my 350 command module.

Last night although I stopped off at my daughters near Lincoln I decided to try out the bed plus the heating and stay in the van for the first time with Hugo. So I popped up the roof and Hugo stayed in his basket. No a noise from him he was very happy.

The heating was very easy to use although the difference in temperature between downstairs and upstairs ( it was a cold and windy night , was a lot , so I left it on 2 or 3. I could smell the fumes sometimes if the wind blew them in the vents. I decided to just use sleeping bags and they were warm but my head was very cold. Next time I remember a hat ! . The little lights are handy upstairs . Getting undressed upstairs was tough and with all the stuff in the van to negotiate plus having to go outside , put on shoes , for a pee at 5.30 ish I quickly decided not again this way. Any suggestions very welcome . think I would like to try and sleep downstairs and might try that tonight, but I will have to lose some cases, maybe Hugos bed can go on top of the cases in the center area and then he has the bonus of being able to see out , which he is missing ? Because of the dog bed it is very hard to get to the kitchen too. I cant take it out when I stop because it is raining.

I am heading off now and will try and find a place to stop half way of there abouts between Lincoln and Isle of Skye , any suggestions very welcome.

Hope some comments here might be useful for Newbies like me :)

Best wishes

Hi Everyone ,

I thought I would keep a mini blog going here of what I am discovering on my very first trip , my Cali is still on order, however as I could not wait I hired a Ocean 150 DSG from Kamper Hire for 2 months and off I went yesterday to the North with my dog Hugo ! I intend so stay on Isle of Skye for a week or so and then head south to North Wales.

So far I discovered I have taken far too many things in the van, I would have preferred to travel much more light but got carried away. I have no idea how a family cope, although I have not used the storage areas yet as everything is still in bags and cases , Hugo has a huge basket behind the front seats .

Incredible but my average MPG is 48 !!!, really more than I expected , although I think my 204 4wd will not get anything like this - grateful to hear what a long trip can be like MPG with a 204 4WD T6. The first drive from Southampton where I picked up ' my ' cali from Kamper I thought the drive a bit bumpy and not so good , but I had just driven my 350cdi Mercedes which seems to lose all the little bumpy feelings. However from Kent to Cambridge I started to appreciate the van more and rather liked it . Its powerful enough , but a bit more would be nice , so I don't regret the 204 decision if the MPG is slashed . The 7 speed DSG is WONDERFUL and I would not like a Cali without . The visibility front and sides is fabulous and the driving position comfotable , vision at the back a little less good, but the mirrors and very good. It has standard lights and they were very poor. Terrible in fact . I am glad I have ordered the LED lights and the rest that goes with it. The Voice command on the SAT NAV was very good and almost as good as my 350 command module.

Last night although I stopped off at my daughters near Lincoln I decided to try out the bed plus the heating and stay in the van for the first time with Hugo. So I popped up the roof and Hugo stayed in his basket. No a noise from him he was very happy.

The heating was very easy to use although the difference in temperature between downstairs and upstairs ( it was a cold and windy night , was a lot , so I left it on 2 or 3. I could smell the fumes sometimes if the wind blew them in the vents. I decided to just use sleeping bags and they were warm but my head was very cold. Next time I remember a hat ! . The little lights are handy upstairs . Getting undressed upstairs was tough and with all the stuff in the van to negotiate plus having to go outside , put on shoes , for a pee at 5.30 ish I quickly decided not again this way. Any suggestions very welcome . think I would like to try and sleep downstairs and might try that tonight, but I will have to lose some cases, maybe Hugos bed can go on top of the cases in the center area and then he has the bonus of being able to see out , which he is missing ? Because of the dog bed it is very hard to get to the kitchen too. I cant take it out when I stop because it is raining.

I am heading off now and will try and find a place to stop half way of there abouts between Lincoln and Isle of Skye , any suggestions very welcome.

Hope some comments here might be useful for Newbies like me :)

Best wishes
Put the cases upstairs when you pop the roof, as long as you remember them when lowering the roof. Remember, when sleeping upstairs in windy conditions you will get wind blowing through the vents in the canvas. a Topper, internal or external, will cut down this blow through but still give the necessary ventilation which is important. The fumes from the heater lessen over time with use.

Why did you get undressed upstairs? why not just push the bed up so there is standing height downstairs get changed & pull the bed back down afterwards.

I am terribly badly organised and Hugo's huge basket is sitting taken up all the room between the front and back seats with him in it .. i didn't want to upset him ...by standing there ....I don't know I hadn't thought it through at all . Now thinking about it I wouldn't of taken cases too just packed things in the storage places . I really need a lesson how to work it out with a dog too. I suppose I'll get there in the end ...

I am terribly badly organised and Hugo's huge basket is sitting taken up all the room between the front and back seats with him in it .. i didn't want to upset him ...by standing there ....I don't know I hadn't thought it through at all . Now thinking about it I wouldn't of taken cases too just packed things in the storage places . I really need a lesson how to work it out with a dog too. I suppose I'll get there in the end ...
Hi , rather than a basket for Hugo , a different dog bed that is more flexible to fit either on driver / passenger / bench seat instead of the floor . We have a dog bed that just stays in Cali and leave the home one at home . Instead of suitcases , hold-all ? Still learning ourselves after 2 and half years !

Put the cases upstairs when you pop the roof, as long as you remember them when lowering the roof. Remember, when sleeping upstairs in windy conditions you will get wind blowing through the vents in the canvas. a Topper, internal or external, will cut down this blow through but still give the necessary ventilation which is important. The fumes from the heater lessen over time with use.
Hi , rather than a basket for Hugo , a different dog bed that is more flexible to fit either on driver / passenger / bench seat instead of the floor . We have a dog bed that just stays in Cali and leave the home one at home . Instead of suitcases , hold-all ? Still learning ourselves after 2 and half years !
yes that's sounds like a good idea .ive got a soft one with me too . I'll try and change the bed and see if I can put the other somewhere , I like the idea from Welsh gas, re storage but it's raining tonight and I didn't not want to put the roof up because it won't dry off . I think in the end the dog will be on his blanket on the bed with me LOL

yes that's sounds like a good idea .ive got a soft one with me too . I'll try and change the bed and see if I can put the other somewhere , I like the idea from Welsh gas, re storage but it's raining tonight and I didn't not want to put the roof up because it won't dry off . I think in the end the dog will be on his blanket on the bed with me LOL
I doesn't matter putting the roof up when it's raining or putting it down with a wet canvas if your using the vehicle on holiday. It's just making sure your canvas is dry when you put it away for weeks on end.

If you are not using the downstairs bed, can you take the rear shelf out & slide the bench back, you can double the downstairs space but obviously loose the boot space.

Incredible but my average MPG is 48 !!!, really more than I expected
:welcome
That really is remarkable, be interesting to hear how it pans out long term.

Look forward to hearing more of your trip :thumb

I doesn't matter putting the roof up when it's raining or putting it down with a wet canvas if your using the vehicle on holiday. It's just making sure your canvas is dry when you put it away for weeks on end.
I have only been twice but slept downstairs when it rained as I thought if it got wet and I closed the roof it may dampen or stain the mattress or the roof!

Have I got this wrong?

My assumption is because in a photo on this forum someone was showing a stained roof that had happened before they owned the van.

I have only been twice but slept downstairs when it rained as I thought if it got wet and I closed the roof it may dampen or stain the mattress or the roof!

Have I got this wrong?

My assumption is because in a photo on this forum someone was showing a stained roof that had happened before they owned the van.
1. I have a waterproof cover for the upstairs mattress from Comfortz.
2. I think the upper roof covering is a different material compared to the underside of the upstairs bed and haven't noticed any staining or marks on the roof lining after closing with a wet canvas.

Back