Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My first overnight in our Cali

oryx white

oryx white

Travelling hopefully
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Since we got our Cali at the end of November, we were a bit shy about trying out an overnight in the winter. But I finally plucked up the courage to try a 'pathfinder' as a solo exercise and used as an excuse a trip to the winter steam gala at the Great Central Railway.

Very pleased with the outing - and our Cali performed faultlessly. Kept me very toasty in my Duvalay downstairs in minus 3C with the parking heater on 01. Very nice to wake up in the dissipating gloom with hot porridge and a pot of coffee!

Station Master at Quorn extremely helpful and hookup/toilet/shower available for £10 donation a night for the gala events.

Now have a longer shopping list of kit to acquire - still not persuaded yet one way or the other on a topper ...

PS: Anyone with a T6 204 DSG - what is your experience with mpg? Getting 35-36mpg atm on a long run but I've less than 4,000 on the clock

P1271174 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Lovely looking bus.

At risk of reopening old discussions, I would personally not leave a hookup cable coiled up when in use. It stops them dissipating heat properly and they can on occasion overheat.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-15940837

Extension and hookup cables will have a coiled and uncoiled amp rating, (coiled being lower amps) under load they can get warm and even hot and worst case as per the article above. If the coiled amp rating is within the limit you will be fine but if unsure uncoil it. You should be fine with low use but if you had a heater or oven running it may cause issues.

Thanks Matt - appreciate your posting to keep me safe.

Yes - I was a bit lazy when I arrived at 10pm still in my business suit. I was only charging the fridge and a phone so thought I'd get away with it. Must get into better habits (uncoiling rather than wearing suits :)).

I also now realise why folk get tidy bags for their cables - it's to keep the boot clean when you get you cable covered in wet and, in this case, oily cinders from between the tracks*! Fortunately I had lashed out on one of these so could coil and forget!

*For the avoidance of doubt, the tracks were closed off for the weekend, so no risk of a train running over the cable!

Worth checking on the cable it will have a rating which may mean it is fine for using coiled but always worth checking. Always horrible when its wet and muddy.

Did you clean it after you arrived it looks spotless. I had a 50 minute drive to camper mart in my spotless bus yesterday by the time I arrived it was filthy lol :D

Worth checking on the cable it will have a rating which may mean it is fine for using coiled but always worth checking. Always horrible when its wet and muddy.

Did you clean it after you arrived it looks spotless. I had a 50 minute drive to camper mart in my spotless bus yesterday by the time I arrived it was filthy lol :D

No, it was pretty clean when I left and it was cold and dry on Thursday so remained in much the same condition 160-odd motorway miles later. Looks a fair bit grubbier after my trip back on Saturday in the rain. I'm expecting to have to clean it often given the 'colour'!

And good idea about checking the cable rating when coiled if I can. Looks like pretty standard 13amp garden-style cable to my amateur eye. But I don't want to be starting a "Cablegate" thread, do I? :headbang

PS: Anyone with a T6 204 DSG - what is your experience with mpg? Getting 35-36mpg atm on a long run but I've less than 4,000 on the clock

I can get over 40 - but only with no load and if I drive at 60mph. Mid to high 30s are more common. Two things which really kill fuel consumption are driving faster and a roof load.

Back