Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My Insurance quotes (SPOILER ALERT - I'll be using 'Comfort')

Isaac Height

Isaac Height

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
So I think some of you may find this interesting?

I am just coming to insure my new bus soon to be delivered.

Quotes thus:

Adrian Flux (through Compare the Market)

£877.68
(£1000 excess) 30 days on Continent

Safeguard

£870.87
(£500 excess) 365 days on Continent Or £961.33 (£300 excess)

Comfort

£460.61
(£300 excess) – 90 days on continent

From what I was told by the phone operative Comfort sounded more tailored and also more comprehensive.

My Safeguard is £471 (£250 excess and parked on the street) but a 2008 van. I quite like them but I might get a Comfort quote come August.

I'll likely do the same. LV was a joke last year but I could not be bothered shopping about.

My brand new Beach Camper, OTR price £64K, invoice price unknown.
I just run quotes with my 2 friends as named drivers and I get £630 from Admiral Gold. No NCD on this car, business use, parking away from home on someone else's driveway (stone throw from home). 10K miles annually, just outside of Greater London, but still within M25. Excess £250 voluntary and £350 compulsory, 90 days abroad.

I'm going to call Admiral before buying, to make sure they add camper endorsement and will try to negotiate matching my previous NCD. They have history of that.

Just renewed with Comfort. Original renewal quote was £500, up from around £400 last year.
Dropped the annual mileage from 6k to 3k and reduced the vehicle value to a realistic but probably high £76k ….. recalculated quote £440. Relatively happy!

Setting a too high valuation on the vehicle doesn’t seem to make sense as it just increases the premium and won’t impact any write off payout which will be based on the market value?

So, FYI guys as it seems to have some relevance to some replies here, I put value at £91k.

First three years they do new for old.

Their max selectable NC is 9 years. A claim does not effect your NC and you will get it back whatever happens I was assured. If you don’t claim and use them for three years you will get 12 (assuming you stared with 9), for example.

As for premiums it's all relative of course. So whatever your premiums are going to be I think a call to comfort is a worthwhile exercise when you come to renew or take a new policy? Possible not on substantially less money but better camper cover. I believe it’s all they do so guess they are pragmatic and know the crack.

When asking for quotes before we got our new van, we also went the new for old route. What caught us out was the NCD allowed. Comfort wouldn’t allow us any, as we needed to have campervan/Motorhome NCD rather than transferring from a car.

The annual mileage declared has a reasonable impact on premiums. We had it at 12k or greater for 2023 as we had big plans. This year it’s at 8k to reduce the costs, and as we planned more modest trips.

Back