Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mystery 3rd rail on a 4Motion

Ian Maddocks

Ian Maddocks

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
My 2019 4Motion doesn’t have a 3rd rail but since adding carpet I’ve seen odd scrapping where it would have been.

Is it normal? Glad I didn’t buy the expensive Brandup carpet!

50369145-8D09-420B-B62C-07CB28E5A6EF.jpeg

The third rail is for fitting another seat. We have a 2015 se and that had the third rail as standard..To me it’s a bit of a pain but if you need the extra seat it’s there for you...Maybe they don’t fit then as standard any longer..Doubtless someone will correct me.

Thanks Peter.

What I’m trying to determine is if my bench seat is incorrectly scrapping the carpet? is it normal to see a line in the middle of the carpet?
At this rate (10-20 moves back & forth) the carpet won’t make it to 1yr.

Pre-carpet, there are some marks on the plastic floor but not as pronounced.

If you put a sheet of thin cardboard down and opened the draw it might give more of an idea if there was a roller or what it was making the mark on the carpet.

Probably the roller.
9c159bffeb46a7acc7130338a91a93a7.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Probably the roller.
9c159bffeb46a7acc7130338a91a93a7.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Oh well there’s the answer I’ve just had a look myself on my van and fair enough there is a roller which runs down the centre rail. Because we have the centre rail we have a carpet with 3 cutouts so have never really took any notice...You would think the roller would flatten the carpet sooner than raise the pile

My 2019 4Motion doesn’t have a 3rd rail but since adding carpet I’ve seen odd scrapping where it would have been.

Is it normal? Glad I didn’t buy the expensive Brandup carpet!

View attachment 65047
As has been said above, it’s the roller But check that it is actually turning and not sliding, because it should flatten rather than raise the carpet pile.

Unbelievable...A roller ....Well well well. If the roller was working correctly I would have thought that it would FLATTEN the pile NOT raise it..
It did flatten it. Wasn’t expecting the carpet to get ‘marked’ but glad to find out it a roller rather than something sharper.

Back