Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mystery socket and G17 location

Vwolder

Vwolder

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello from Denmark :)

Just got my 1993 cali and loving it allready!!

A few question, if you dont mind:

What is this socket for?? See pics please

And I can’t find the G17 sensor for the outside temperatur. It is not at the bumper..! Does any one know where I can find the wirring for it? Then I might trace it

Thanks!

Søren

65FE6B5A-48B6-44CD-8DB6-7C60B1CD3FF5.jpeg

EC422967-07BD-4780-B866-A24E92BB20B6.png

F872EB03-940C-47E8-9536-8D88DBA1D60E.jpeg

Which Westy conversion do you have? Difficult to work out from your photos. A little more info and we may be able to work out what your mystery connector is.

The external temperature sensor is usually mounted in the front bumper, just under the number plate. Or at least that’s where ours is - 2001 model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry - it is a 93 poptup 2.4 D. I can see that socket unattached onther pictures...

I think I found the sensor. The wirring was put up behind the batteriet for some reason

Thanks.

Sorry - it is a 93 poptup 2.4 D. I can see that socket unattached onther pictures...

I think I found the sensor. The wirring was put up behind the batteriet for some reason

Thanks.

Not sure about your socket at the moment. Just trying to workout where in the camper your photo is - is it in the bottom of the wardrobe? The temperature sensor you found - is this near the leisure battery or the engine battery?

Yes it is in the wardrobe - rear left corner. Very close to the split relay.

The sensor is in the engine compartment - it is not the sensor in the battery compartment

Thanks

Søren

Yes it is in the wardrobe - rear left corner. Very close to the split relay.

The sensor is in the engine compartment - it is not the sensor in the battery compartment

Thanks

Søren

Seems odd that your temp sensor is inside the engine compartment. In most situations that would give a false reading as it’s not reading the external temperature.

Still thinking on the mystery connector. I’ll have a look in ours tonight. Later models don’t have the split charge relay mounted in the wardrobe, its under the fridge, nearer the charger.

No. I did look at this thinking it was the battery charger connector. Deffo not that.

The layout of the whole thing looks different to my 2.4.

There is another relay in there too which is a mystery?

No. I did look at this thinking it was the battery charger connector. Deffo not that.

The layout of the whole thing looks different to my 2.4.

There is another relay in there too which is a mystery?

Got me stumped. I thought all the gubbins for a pop top lived under the fridge. It features in the Parts diagrams but appears to have no purpose. Hey ho. As long as everything works it’s probably not worth bothering about.

Just looking at the wiring scheme, colours and number of pins, I think it’s something heater related. Odd place thought?

Just looking at the wiring scheme, colours and number of pins, I think it’s something heater related. Odd place thought?

Heater diagnostic socket had crossed my mind. With you in the location though. It looks genuine enough on that galvanised panel but feels more like where things would be in a LWB high top Coach. Our wardrobe doesn’t have such a large opening in the bottom. Not sure about the earlier models though.

I Do have the Night heater...?

I have seen this connector in other fotos. One of the fotos I posted was from the internet. It seems to have one or two more wires going in to it, though.

I’m sure the two relays are J7 and J229

I think the connector is J65 but the geographic location doesn’t support this.

Agree with you Fromage, the opening in the wardrobe is unusual.

I do not think that it is j65 as the Night heater (original mounted with timer) is working just fine...

Normaly the opening is covered by a removeable metal panel?

I do not think that it is j65 as the Night heater (original mounted with timer) is working just fine...

Normaly the opening is covered by a removeable metal panel?

We’re a little confused by what model of Westfalia you have. We have a poptop and yes the bottom of the wardrobe has a metal panel but doesn’t give anything like the access yours does. Post a photo of your camper perhaps?

Very nice. Looks in great shape. I wonder if the wardrobe was modified in the later models when the put the water tank inside the bottom rather than on the right side of the boot. This might explain why the electrics you’re enquiring about are in a different location. Is there a reason you want to know about the mystery connector? And the G17 location?

No specific reason - I was just wondering why is was laying unused. It's not like the Germans to add things just for the fun of it!!

I found the G17. It was hidden behind the battery in the engine compartment and not working as one of the wires was broke. Fixed it, and brought it back to its right place in the bumper. All is working well now :)

No specific reason - I was just wondering why is was laying unused. It's not like the Germans to add things just for the fun of it!!

I found the G17. It was hidden behind the battery in the engine compartment and not working as one of the wires was broke. Fixed it, and brought it back to its right place in the bumper. All is working well now :)

Very true. You’ve got me wondering now whether we’ve got one too. Mind you the electrical wiring was probably developed to fit a wide range of Westfalia VW conversions so the mystery socket maybe something for the long wheelbase models. They had the kitchen across the tailgate.

Glad to hear the temp sensor is now working. It’s usually the case they get tucked away rather being fixed.

Very true. You’ve got me wondering now whether we’ve got one too. Mind you the electrical wiring was probably developed to fit a wide range of Westfalia VW conversions so the mystery socket maybe something for the long wheelbase models. They had the kitchen across the tailgate.

Glad to hear the temp sensor is now working. It’s usually the case they get tucked away rather being fixed.

Should we not be able to find it in the diagrams still?

Very nice. Looks in great shape. I wonder if the wardrobe was modified in the later models when the put the water tank inside the bottom rather than on the right side of the boot. This might explain why the electrics you’re enquiring about are in a different location. Is there a reason you want to know about the mystery connector? And the G17 location?

Photos show the water tank still on the right hand side?