Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Myth or reality

greenfintry

greenfintry

Cometh the van cometh the hour
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We are about to have our first big Cali trip to Spain and France next month and have been reading the fora about campsites, wild camping and ferries. All most useful

One question that could maybe generate some sort of survey maybe? Lots of comments about vans being robbed, fittings stolen, occupants gassed by organised crime...... Has anyone on here actually been a victim of said crimes or are the stories all apocryphal?

Please help me sleep easier or with booby traps! :thanks

I recon its as just safe in France as here. Be sensible about where you park up, take normal precautions and you ll be fine.

Rob

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

We had a few trips in to Europe last year and didn't have any issues, hopefully what's left of this year will be the same. :thumb

Yes I think it's ok but use common sense. In my 15 month trip where I free camped 80% of the time I never had an issue although I did use common sense and was security conscious.

Careful of the coast though from south of Barcelona all the way through to Nice and also Southern Italy as these are hot spots of crime.

BerndRos said:
Yes I think it's ok but use common sense. In my 15 month trip where I free camped 80% of the time I never had an issue although I did use common sense and was security conscious.

Careful of the coast though from south of Barcelona all the way through to Nice and also Southern Italy as these are hot spots of crime.

I agree with Bernd here.
My daughter who is fairly savvy security wise having spent a year in Columbia and travelled a lot was driving through Barcelona about three months ago. Heard a bang at the rear of her car and got out. Two well dressed guys in a Merc behind got out and one came to talk to her at the rear of her car, meanwhile the other nipped into her car and took everything.
So make sure you either have someone in the vehicle or lock it if a similar situation occurs. Fairly common according to the Spanish police who incidentally were very helpful.

Back