Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Natural progression? Family tent camping to Campervan....

jMacdent

jMacdent

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi Everybody, I've followed the forum for a considerable time, being an avid tent camper with a young family. We finally took the plunge two months ago and ordered an Ocean 4Motion in Indium Grey through Autoebid. Thought it would be the perfect moment to join the club this morning having read about the official VW peace of mind price protection promise for orders place before 2nd December!!! Trying unsuccessfully to suppress the anxiety and excitement involved in the long arduous wait for delivery..... but really pleased to actually be involved.

Hi Everybody, I've followed the forum for a considerable time, being an avid tent camper with a young family. We finally took the plunge two months ago and ordered an Ocean 4Motion in Indium Grey through Autoebid. Thought it would be the perfect moment to join the club this morning having read about the official VW peace of mind price protection promise for orders place before 2nd December!!! Trying unsuccessfully to suppress the anxiety and excitement involved in the long arduous wait for delivery..... but really pleased to actually be involved.
Welcome to the club!
A big relief, that No-deal guarantee isn’t it? I felt lighter yesterday when I heard (on this forum).
Wishing your fingernails well whilst you wait...
Just to say I wish I’d spec’d the tow bar so I could carry bikes on a ball mounted carrier that allows you into the boot...
I’d say you’ve got 2-3 weeks to make sure your options are spot on... I added the 80L fuel tank (£80ish) after reading on this forum the heater runs of diesel in the tank, and thinking we’ll do some slogs across Europe where extra range might be useful sometimes (hacking back to the ferry?)
Good luck with it all

Welcome to the club!
A big relief, that No-deal guarantee isn’t it? I felt lighter yesterday when I heard (on this forum).
Wishing your fingernails well whilst you wait...
Just to say I wish I’d spec’d the tow bar so I could carry bikes on a ball mounted carrier that allows you into the boot...
I’d say you’ve got 2-3 weeks to make sure your options are spot on... I added the 80L fuel tank (£80ish) after reading on this forum the heater runs of diesel in the tank, and thinking we’ll do some slogs across Europe where extra range might be useful sometimes (hacking back to the ferry?)
Good luck with it all
Thanks 66tim99,
Funny you should mention the options. spent weeks deciding...did get a tow bar as we currently have a tilting bike rack. Didn't get the 80l fuel tank which I wish we had now!!!!!

Thanks 66tim99,
Funny you should mention the options. spent weeks deciding...did get a tow bar as we currently have a tilting bike rack. Didn't get the 80l fuel tank which I wish we had now!!!!!
If you’ve just ordered you will be able to add it now...just give Autoebid a call

:welcome At least most of your camping gear will transfer, enjoy your Cali when it arrives.

We moved from camping to camper ten years ago when the kids were 5 and 9. We didn’t look back - you won’t regret it! The lesson we learned early on was the with camping, one fills the vehicle ram full of stuff (our car wasn’t that big) and empty it out into tent. However far less stuff is needed in a camper but the golden rule for us was everything in the van needs to be “away” in its place, otherwise one spends the whole time shifting things around whilst camping. We do not use an awning, preferring simplicity, and the “place for everything, everything in its place” maxim is definitely rule number one. Also, I spent far too much on accessories whilst waiting for the van - better to use the gear you already have whilst working out what’s really needed for your style of camping.

We moved from camping to camper ten years ago when the kids were 5 and 9. We didn’t look back - you won’t regret it! The lesson we learned early on was the with camping, one fills the vehicle ram full of stuff (our car wasn’t that big) and empty it out into tent. However far less stuff is needed in a camper but the golden rule for us was everything in the van needs to be “away” in its place, otherwise one spends the whole time shifting things around whilst camping. We do not use an awning, preferring simplicity, and the “place for everything, everything in its place” maxim is definitely rule number one. Also, I spent far too much on accessories whilst waiting for the van - better to use the gear you already have whilst working out what’s really needed for your style of camping.
Erbster...you caught me churning through campervanbits mulling through the permutations for sleeping accessories! Classic timing. I fully appreciate the experienced input as I was obviously heading in completely the opposite direction. I WILL FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE. It's not dissimilar from what I normally hear from my wife...:mad:

BTW...we have two kids (boys) 8 and 6.

Erbster...you caught me churning through campervanbits mulling through the permutations for sleeping accessories! Classic timing. I fully appreciate the experienced input as I was obviously heading in completely the opposite direction. I WILL FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE. It's not dissimilar from what I normally hear from my wife...:mad:

BTW...we have two kids (boys) 8 and 6.
You know it makes sense ;)
But, there's no harm in knowing what's available ... looking is not the same as buying!!
I still find myself on those websites...
Your boys will have such great memories - such a fun age!

Started with a trailer tent when the kids were young, then the holidays in Spain. Once the kids got too old myself and the other half used to Eurocamp. Then we got a Moho/GW, great luxury. Then for multiple reasons: we are downsizing to a Cali: Storage on the drive, only need one vehicle as it will be the daily driver and when abroad more suitable for base camping and sight seeing trips out. Enjoy it will be fun and you could always get a driveway awning if space is tight.

Last edited:
Completely agree with @Erbster's rule 1. One of the most important things to keep in mind to make sure cali-life is enjoyable. I'd make it rule 2 though. Rule 1 being that you should look hard and long at everything you or your spouse or kids want to bring on a trip. Are you really really really going to use it a lot? If not, choose to leave it at home. Cali-life is so much more enjoyable when you bring as little stuff as possible. Unless perhaps you are one of those people that drive somewehere, setup camp and stay there the entire holiday.

Started with a trailer tent when the kids were young, then the holidays in Spain. Once the kids got too old myself and the other half used to Eurocamp. Then we got a Moho/GW, great luxury. Then for multiple reasons: we are downsizing to a Cali: Storage on the drive, only need one vehicle as it will be the daily driver and when abroad more suitable for base camping and site seeing trips out. Enjoy it will be fun and you could always get a driveway awning if space is tight.
I love hearing about these experiences. It can be hard to make great campervan choices without experience..which I don't have. Thanks for this. I sort of wish we had all this under our belt but then we wouldn't have had all the years of fun and mistakes.

Completely agree with @Erbster's rule 1. One of the most important things to keep in mind to make sure cali-life is enjoyable. I'd make it rule 2 though. Rule 1 being that you should look hard and long at everything you or your spouse or kids want to bring on a trip. Are you really really really going to use it a lot? If not, choose to leave it at home. Cali-life is so much more enjoyable when you bring as little stuff as possible. Unless perhaps you are one of those people that drive somewehere, setup camp and stay there the entire holiday.
This issue is probably my worst downfall. Taking too much stuff, every time, just in case we need it....and still haven't used it 7 trips down the line. The main reason we have decided to go the van route is the ability to go away for a spontaneous 1 or 2 night trip without the day spent packing the car beforehand and then the 3 and a half hours setting up on arrival....and the 4 hours packing up on departure, in the rain. I completely agree with what you are saying, just need to show restraint and put action into words. For me, it's the need to have the "home away from home' feeling but where's the limit??

Well, don't worry. What will happen imho is the following:

You bring a lot of stuff, because you want to make sure you have everything. But during the trip you'll find you've just brought too much stuff. It will annoy you that you're not able to set up fast and leave fast and that you have to keep moving stuff around all the time, just to be able to sit or cook or grab a drink. Along the way you will figure out what's the best place for each item you bring (including family members ;-)) and you will notice that each item will get a standard place to be and you will learn to find it there and put it back in the same spot. And with each trip you make, you will bring less and less stuff until you got it just right for your personal situation. It's a process. It starts with buying too many seemingly useful accessories and ends with the perfect setup ;-) It's part of the fun (for me).

This issue is probably my worst downfall. Taking too much stuff, every time, just in case we need it....and still haven't used it 7 trips down the line. The main reason we have decided to go the van route is the ability to go away for a spontaneous 1 or 2 night trip without the day spent packing the car beforehand and then the 3 and a half hours setting up on arrival....and the 4 hours packing up on departure, in the rain. I completely agree with what you are saying, just need to show restraint and put action into words. For me, it's the need to have the "home away from home' feeling but where's the limit??
Welcome indeed!

Similar to yourself we collected our 6.1 this July. Our kids are 6 & 8. During October half-term we went down to Cornwall. We took our Vango Faros drive away awning. Well it was very windy most of the week but otherwise dry. After the first night it was still blowing hard and it was obvious that if we left the drive away awning up, whilst we went out for the day, it would not be there when we got back. We packed up the drive away awning. Me and the Mrs were concerned how we were going to get through the rest of the week in such a small space with 2 fairly energetic kids! It was an utterly brilliant 5 days, one of those you will always remember. I think the drive awning will be sold, such a faff. What is the point in having a drive awning if it cannot stand up in rubbish weather?

So yes, less is definitely more. Everyone has different ways of operating and we are starting to refine what we need to store where.

The major plus of the Cali is that we also use it to a day out more fun. We will go to a National Trust site, and after we have been for our walk get back to the van and have hot chocolates. Similarly we will take the kids to the beach (West Wittering) for the day during the winter and just being able to hide in the van for lunch/snacks/tea will be brilliant.

Well, don't worry. What will happen imho is the following:

You bring a lot of stuff, because you want to make sure you have everything. But during the trip you'll find you've just brought too much stuff. It will annoy you that you're not able to set up fast and leave fast and that you have to keep moving stuff around all the time, just to be able to sit or cook or grab a drink. Along the way you will figure out what's the best place for each item you bring (including family members ;-)) and you will notice that each item will get a standard place to be and you will learn to find it there and put it back in the same spot. And with each trip you make, you will bring less and less stuff until you got it just right for your personal situation. It's a process. It starts with buying too many seemingly useful accessories and ends with the perfect setup ;-) It's part of the fun (for me).
haha. The process is definitely part of the fun for me too...but it's also frustrating as it's a common thread with everything I do, including a the previous few years of tent camping. It drives my wife completely mad!!! I tell her I need to work through a few permutations to get it right but it results in a garage full of relegated accessories that eventually get passed onto family and friends. I've joined the club in the hope to bypass this "fun" but I think you've got a great point. It's part of the journey and I should just avoid the really massive potholes!?!?

Welcome indeed!

Similar to yourself we collected our 6.1 this July. Our kids are 6 & 8. During October half-term we went down to Cornwall. We took our Vango Faros drive away awning. Well it was very windy most of the week but otherwise dry. After the first night it was still blowing hard and it was obvious that if we left the drive away awning up, whilst we went out for the day, it would not be there when we got back. We packed up the drive away awning. Me and the Mrs were concerned how we were going to get through the rest of the week in such a small space with 2 fairly energetic kids! It was an utterly brilliant 5 days, one of those you will always remember. I think the drive awning will be sold, such a faff. What is the point in having a drive awning if it cannot stand up in rubbish weather?

So yes, less is definitely more. Everyone has different ways of operating and we are starting to refine what we need to store where.

The major plus of the Cali is that we also use it to a day out more fun. We will go to a National Trust site, and after we have been for our walk get back to the van and have hot chocolates. Similarly we will take the kids to the beach (West Wittering) for the day during the winter and just being able to hide in the van for lunch/snacks/tea will be brilliant.
Your major plus is the sort of feedback which makes me feel really good and I'm so looking forward to having this stuff in our lives especially with everything that happening at the moment. I can't make my mind up about the drive away awning think. One day its yes. Next day it no. We usually take 4 bikes and put them in the tent when we go off in the car. I don't know how we'll feel about having to put the bikes back on the rack each time we go off. However, don't want to come back in bad weather and find it's blown away!!!! I'm getting the general consensus that less is more from everybody though. Thank you. It's not my normal mantra....

Started with a trailer tent when the kids were young, then the holidays in Spain. Once the kids got too old myself and the other half used to Eurocamp. Then we got a Moho/GW, great luxury. Then for multiple reasons: we are downsizing to a Cali: Storage on the drive, only need one vehicle as it will be the daily driver and when abroad more suitable for base camping and sight seeing trips out. Enjoy it will be fun and you could always get a driveway awning if space is tight.
I wish you hadn't mentioned the trailer tent thing though. Been looking at them quite a bit this morning. Really expensive!!!

Thanks 66tim99,
:welcome

I don’t have the 80L tank, for the cost of the factory fit I would get it added, you can add to your order tight up to the time when a production slot is allocated, so you still have time for that phone call.

Back