Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NC500 and Midges

CannonDale

CannonDale

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I am thinking of going to Scotland to do the NC500 in June. I am sure there will be an abundance of midges and wondered what happens when you close the roof and they get squashed, do you get dead midge marks all over the canvass and if so is it easy to clean or does the dead midge leave a stain?

Stay on the coast there not as bad our daughter live in the highlands and never had a problem

Buy one of these, fits in the inverter socket and works!
Plugin thingy
Buy a bottle of Smidge that Midge.
Tape up the small vents in the pop top. Midgies get in there.
Wrap up when you go outside at night.
But don’t be put off by them. Scotland is too nice this time of year.

Scottish Midges are immune to any poison. They can eat through sheet steel & penetrate 50mm of concrete in a shallow dive.
Only method of control is to leave out a saucer of whiskey (Highland Malt of course) with a tray of sand, when they get drunk they stone each other to death!

Scottish Midges are immune to any poison. They can eat through sheet steel & penetrate 50mm of concrete in a shallow dive.
Only method of control is to leave out a saucer of whiskey (Highland Malt of course) with a tray of sand, when they get drunk they stone each other to death!
Other solution is to catch a live Haggis and keep it in the van as they love to eat Midges, but they can be noisy running about at night.

Stay on the coast there not as bad our daughter live in the highlands and never had a problem

Not as bad, that is different to not at all. My mate lives in Poolewe right on the sea front and wears a net hat he's born and bread their, hates the blighters...

As per my post on facebook post of the same topic ;)

7cf5fa303f9621bd64619fef1743d0cb.jpg

Not as bad, that is different to not at all. My mate lives in Poolewe right on the sea front and wears a net hat he's born and bread their, hates the blighters...
Oh dear
I must admit it’s stopped me going over the years..
A friend of mine went with his dog years ago, he came back looking like elephant man..they even got the dog.... but after asking my daughter how the mozzies are she said no problem with them,but she’s only been there a year !!
We have other family members who have lived there 30yrs and also say it’s fine near the coast..???
I suppose it’s how your skin tastes ;)

Oh dear
I must admit it’s stopped me going over the years..
A friend of mine went with his dog years ago, he came back looking like elephant man..they even got the dog.... but after asking my daughter how the mozzies are she said no problem with them,but she’s only been there a year !!
We have other family members who have lived there 30yrs and also say it’s fine near the coast..???
I suppose it’s how your skin tastes ;)

Or how much marmite you eat apprantlyo_O

Sorry to be pedantic, but if it’s Scotch, then surely it’s whisky? Whiskey is the Irish, is it not?either way, I’d drink it rather than leave it out for the bliters, that way you’ll not care so much about them,

I had my first encounter with the dreaded McMidge a few weeks ago near Glenfinnan. My timing was all wrong when i put on my “silverscreen”. Out i went and i was immediately set upon by a couple of squadrons of them. They then followed me inside the van and i spent the best part of an hour swatting them. Then i had to let the dog out to do his business and in they came again. As a consequence of this i was bitten to death and was itching for days afterwards. I won’t underestimate the little buggers again and will be better prepared. Having said all of that however Glenfinnan is way off the NC. I have done the NC 500 three times now and never had a problem.

Buy one of these, fits in the inverter socket and works!
Plugin thingy
Buy a bottle of Smidge that Midge.
Tape up the small vents in the pop top. Midgies get in there.
Wrap up when you go outside at night.
But don’t be put off by them. Scotland is too nice this time of year.
Can you please tell me what the plug in thingy is...bad link