Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NC500 - can you share your itinerary please

VWCoastbusters

VWCoastbusters

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Evening. The 500 has been on my list for years and, as it's getting busier and busier, I want to do it before it's too touristy. But I'm struggling to build an itinerary as there seems to be sooooo much information.

I've been through lots of posts on here helpfully recommending some campsites, but I wondered if anyone would please share their trip plan with me: places to stay, what not to miss. I always find recommendations better than any Google search.

We're hoping to have between 7 and 10 days in total.

Thank you

Thanks Alison,
We've read through the other forum posts, 7 to 10 days does not include travel from Dorset... :thumb

Thanks Alison,
We've read through the other forum posts, 7 to 10 days does not include travel from Dorset... :thumb
In which case loads of time to explore :bananadance2

Reactions: Sad
Evening. The 500 has been on my list for years and, as it's getting busier and busier, I want to do it before it's too touristy. But I'm struggling to build an itinerary as there seems to be sooooo much information.

I've been through lots of posts on here helpfully recommending some campsites, but I wondered if anyone would please share their trip plan with me: places to stay, what not to miss. I always find recommendations better than any Google search.

Thank you
Personally it’s not long at all, however I would go east to west as IMO the north west and west cost is the most scenic and spend more time there. Sorry to you chaps and ladies who live on the east side.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The 7 to 10 days is from start to end in Scotland. Thanks all

Personally it’s not long at all, however I would go east to west as IMO the north west and west cost is the most scenic and spend more time there. Sorry to you chaps and ladies who live on the east side.
No offence taken. I also prefer west coast. But not been in many years.
It may be good to have a couple of routes / plans depending on the weather. Whilst East coast is may be less scenic for some, it rarely gets the wet and stormy weather from the west. So having a back up route maybe a sensible plan.

I find it very difficult to relate to the NC500.

I did every inch of the north, North East, wester Ross coastline in 2015. Nothing to do with the NC500, everything to do with me fulfilling the ideal of travelling every inch of the UK mainland coastline.

A timeline would not be in my head. There is just so much to see, to want to stop off and linger. NC500 sounds like a tick list. My moments: Overnighting in the Glenmorangie car park: John O'groats, overnighting on that horrible exposed car park but so full of nostalgic memories of walking from there, the beautiful couple in Bettyhill who allowed me to park on there drive, well a field just off it, Drumbeg, the most glorious scenery to admire with two burst tyres and waiting for rescue, Caterina in the port a bhaigh Inn driving me to the campsite where Albert was parked and a storm coming in that recorded 98 mph winds in Ullapool, shifting Albert to the lee of the facilities block.

My tears on Bealach Na Ba as I remembered Doctor Tom, my dear friend Tom Patey, a mentor and climber of renown, always in my heart Tom,

Goodness, the NC500 is not a mcdonalds, a fast-food tick box, it is a slowly evolving gourmet meal that should be savoured with every bite.

After several years in Portugal & Europe, My buddy the Cali is staying local in the coming years & looking forward to U.K. travel in the Summer months.

I am familiar with the area having visited many times over the past 30 or so years.

how about a week based in Ullapool - lots to explore in the vicinity, reasonable campsite, good facilities etc. That way you can get up close, and in one way avoid the hordes of tourists rushing around pointlessly

No offence taken. I also prefer west coast. But not been in many years.
It may be good to have a couple of routes / plans depending on the weather. Whilst East coast is may be less scenic for some, it rarely gets the wet and stormy weather from the west. So having a back up route maybe a sensible plan.
Morning Alison, very true re weather, was foul for 3 days at Sands campsite.fantastic scenery all round Scotland.

Firstly, I would avoid the NC500 from mid May to the end of Sept. Reason, midges, overcrowding and drivers with no consideration for others on the single track roads. We went in April 2016, it was lovely but the locals were not looking forward to the summer. As an example, the previous summer a train of 7 Italian big whites had caused havoc and been removed by the police. As for itinerary, each to their own. Spend as long as you can, there is so much. The castles are great, if you like castles. Get a set of OS maps and study them well. Make your own itinerary based on what things you like. We are thinking of a repeat trip, but this time in mid winter, yes the days are short but those crisp, or stormy days, can be very special.

Thank you
I don't want to pour cold water on your plans however .
We live in the tourist west coast, given what happened last year I would leave it till the foreign holidays start again, the scenery will still be there and the infrastructure will be improved by them.
Highland council are encouraging aires and more tourist infrastructure will be in place with less folk.
There will this year be more rangers to help police the tourists but the Police are really thin on the ground up here, proportional to normal population not the many times inflated tourist season.

If you still want to then either find a different route in Scotland and book campsites, Free camping could be stressful finding a place, I looked last night on Scottish motorhome campers FB page Map of free camping spots, I know locally that very many of those are gone, fenced off or boulders in place to prevent there use.

Have a look at our Scotland thread on here.

We collected a lot of suggestions for itineraries, places to stay etc. from all the good folks on here, and put them on a 'Scotland Inspriration Map' on Google Maps. You may still find a lot of the tips useful!

schermafbeelding-2020-01-05-om-16-39-04-png.53954

Have a look at our Scotland thread on here.

We collected a lot of suggestions for itineraries, places to stay etc. from all the good folks on here, and put them on a 'Scotland Inspriration Map' on Google Maps. You may still find a lot of the tips useful!

schermafbeelding-2020-01-05-om-16-39-04-png.53954

How helpful you always are. Like so many people on here, always so well researched and so happy to share.

Thank you.

Firstly, I would avoid the NC500 from mid May to the end of Sept. Reason, midges, overcrowding and drivers with no consideration for others on the single track roads. We went in April 2016, it was lovely but the locals were not looking forward to the summer. As an example, the previous summer a train of 7 Italian big whites had caused havoc and been removed by the police. As for itinerary, each to their own. Spend as long as you can, there is so much. The castles are great, if you like castles. Get a set of OS maps and study them well. Make your own itinerary based on what things you like. We are thinking of a repeat trip, but this time in mid winter, yes the days are short but those crisp, or stormy days, can be very special.
All good recommendations, and yes, get OS maps, available from your library free of charge and often in mint condition. Study and make your own route, but of course this requires a little be more in navigational skills.

I'm with GrannyJen, unless you have a real desire to be able to say you have completed the NC500 I wouldn't bother. Hundreds of places to visit in Scotland that are not included on the NC500 and easily enough to enjoy your 7-10 days. Personally as above I would stick to the west coast and perhaps maybe nip across to Tiree, Lewis or Harris etc.

Thank you
We’ve been going to Scotland a couple of times a year for forty years particularly the islands of the West coast and the highlands with dips into the East coast. We’ve been to many areas time and time again including the areas now called the NC500. The initial concept behind the NC500 was well intended but in our view has done the area a disservice. There is no offence intended when we say this as everyone has their own agendas when travelling but it appears there are many who now simply see the NC500 as a tick box excursion. There is so much and more to Scotland, our advice is to break it into bite sized chunks and enjoy an area fully then return again and again.
For us the journey to and through Scotland is in itself a destination.

A couple of areas worth considering that you may miss off the 500.
Before Gairloch turn off on the B8056 towards Badachro, pass the lovely bay and continue to Redpoint Beach, beautiful red sand and dunes.
Follow the path along the coast for wonderful views across Loch Torridon. Each time we visited this area it was completely deserted, we spent a week in this area alone as there is a lot of great walking from Gairloch.
From Big Sand there is a road towards Rubha Redih at the roads end walk 3 miles along the headland to the beach and lighthouse savouring the views of Skye and the Western Isles, again deserted, we had it t ourselves.
Just two examples that most people will miss ‘doing the NC500’ there are so many more we are happy to share.
Whatever you decide we hope you have a great trip and fall as much in love with Scotland as we did on our very first trip.

Thank you
Hi
We did it last October, rather quickly though.
We drove up from the South Coast, one night in Bury, two nights in the Trossachs, across to Fort William campsite (side trip to the West Coast and the beach where they filmed Local Hero), then one night in Inverness (Culloden), then up to John O'Groats, Dunnet Head campsite, across the top to Durness (one night and stormy as usual) down the west coast, via Applecross and wild camped one night a few miles beyond the pass. On to Glasgow campsite, then down to Buxton for one night, then home.

We had done the West Coast and Skye previously, hence the speedy trip. But we did manage quite a lot of stop offs and sight seeing.

And we plan on going back again this year, probably in the Autumn, if Europe is still out of bounds. Probably to do a more leisurely west Coast tour with more wild camping.

I bought this book, but to my shame didn't refer to it much.

20210403_152115.jpg

NC500.jpg