Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nearside awning rail? It does Nowt!

I had an awning made up by a sail maker to go on the near side rail.
used a tough, thin sailcloth with a rope sewn in to act as a bread for the C rail. Material was doubled up for reinforcement over the bead and to create the right fit. Eyelets round the edges for use as tie down or/and with poles. Acts as a sun shelter and dry storage for a cycle.

Probably been mentioned earlier but our Kozi Kamper tea cosy thing slides into it perfectly to lock it in place. Best thing in the cold north.

I just tried fitting a length of 6mm Kador in the rail. Yes, it will fit but it is also quite easy to pull out. I can imagine if you had a canopy attached the combined forces of pegging it out and a small gust of wind would easily cause the Kador to pull out of the rail. Not ideal.

I tried this a while back with a Thule sun blocker (6mm bead I think) and yes, it does come out very easily - however, you can make it stay in by threading a length of two-core mains flex (not connected, obviously!) at the same time, as this serves to fill the gap effectively.

The 8mm kador I've recently bought remains in-situ regardless of how hard I pull on it. Looks like it solves my problem so no need to buy the extortionate rubber-strip-thing. [...still buying some of Ted's "wotsits" though as "back up]
8mm Kador Strip

Last edited:
The 8mm kador I've recently bought remains in-situ regardless of how hard I pull on it. Looks like it solves my problem so no need to buy the extortionate rubber-strip-thing. [...still buying some of Ted's "wotsits" though as]
8mm Kador Strip

The whole length full of kador will be fine if you don’t want/need to attach anything else on that side. My Calitopper attaches to 4 thumb screws on that side, so would only have the strip connected in between them.

The whole length full of kador will be fine if you don’t want/need to attach anything else on that side. My Calitopper attaches to 4 thumb screws on that side, so would only have the strip connected in between them.

Very true but I've just checked the strip and it fits into the awning kador recess too so, "win all round"

I use the C-channel for the Brandrup Topsail. The sail fits both directly in the channel and - somewhat better - in the rubber adapter (called, you guesed it, Toprail). The main advantage of the adapter, however, is that it prevents water from the roof leaking through the seams of the topsail. I think it's essential if you use the sail.

The backside channel fits Brandrup's policarbonate Airscreen - it may help to get some fresh air in the car on a wet summer night. When the night is cold and windy it has some use as a windscreen in the upstairs bedroom. Brandrup prices conform to the levels set by VW, but we should realise that these are specialized products made in small series.

I've got the Brandrup AirScreen is works OK unless it's really windy then the suckers are prone to detach themselves. I simply slide it into the channel on the side of the van

Could someone make a suggestion how to make use of this rail? I assume someone sells bits n bobs that will slide in an attach things like washing lines, etc etc? Any clues.. It does seem a waste having it but doing nothing? Suggestions please!!
The rail is also the only fixing point for the emergency roof tie down kit if the hydraulics fail !

I use the C-channel for the Brandrup Topsail. The sail fits both directly in the channel and - somewhat better - in the rubber adapter (called, you guesed it, Toprail). The main advantage of the adapter, however, is that it prevents water from the roof leaking through the seams of the topsail. I think it's essential if you use the sail.

The backside channel fits Brandrup's policarbonate Airscreen - it may help to get some fresh air in the car on a wet summer night. When the night is cold and windy it has some use as a windscreen in the upstairs bedroom. Brandrup prices conform to the levels set by VW, but we should realise that these are specialized products made in small series.
I bought an airscreen but it wasn’t really suitable for us, so took it back and got a refund. I found putting on/taking off was a pain. Think we’ll go for slot in grills. We already use the ones for the drivers cab windows.

You only need to tie down the roof for when your driving unless you drive with the awning/whatever attached to the rail!!!

Back