Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

We are all going to be up even later posting when we get all this coffee on board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been using aeropress for a couple of years now. Hard to beat given its size & simplicity.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Another aero press fan, don't bother with frothing milk, just heat up on hob and add to coffee. Best coffee ever but you do get strange looks when making it outside

Negative only makes a single cup.

Actually we do make two cups at a time from our Aeropress, because Mrs VD likes hers pretty weak (her coffee I mean... she likes her men strong, obv. Ahem.).

Seriously though, if you like Americanos or just smallish cups, you'll may well find the Aeropress good for two.

BTW at home I use the Aeropress with an electric kettle that can be switched to 80 degrees, and in the van we try to heat the water to a bit below boiling. It does seem to make a difference to the flavour.

Actually we do make two cups at a time from our Aeropress, because Mrs VD likes hers pretty weak (her coffee I mean... she likes her men strong, obv. Ahem.).

Seriously though, if you like Americanos or just smallish cups, you'll may well find the Aeropress good for two.

BTW at home I use the Aeropress with an electric kettle that can be switched to 80 degrees, and in the van we try to heat the water to a bit below boiling. It does seem to make a difference to the flavour.

Agree , but I'm like it strong ,double espresso with warm milk not frothed.
Thanks for restarting this thread . Think you mention the coffee cup recycling scandal in the other thread.
image.png

Last edited:
At home a Quickmill espresso machine and when camping (you know, tent, therm-a-rest, sleeping bag) we used a hand-powered Handpresso. The Illy E.S.E. pads seemed to be the best pads for a nice cup of semi-cappuchino, frothing the milk with a battery powered frothing thingy. For the cali we bought the powered Handpresso Auto and the coffee is excellent. Compact and easy to clean and store.

Operating the thing is a bit slow. It pumps to 16 bar and then it warms the water to about 90 degrees. After 2 minutes and a beep you can pour the coffee but the second cup will take another 2 minutes. Not as slow as ordering a espresso at Starbucks but too slow for more than two cups.

Getting E.S.E. pads in Norway is probably as easy as getting a bottle of Campingaz.

handpresso.jpg

I always wondered if the electric one was any good, interesting device.

I have the minpresso which is similar to the handpresso but manual. The hand pumping means you can make several cups in relatively quick succession but I do find its messy beyond cup one as you have to dispose of the old grounds and clean. Then again boiling a kettle in a van takes a little while too.

I have been pondering this:
http://cafflanoshop.com/
Which is a grinder and coffee maker in one. I heard the grinder wasn't very good though so was hoping one day to find someone with one to ask. Anyone here have one? I need to break my coffee device habit lol

Last edited:
I watched that and I thought it would take too long...
I used to grind beans but found the difference in grinders made even by favorite bean too variable, so instead I took a few years testing different ground coffee until I found the one that best met my taste and settled on Lavazza Rosa vac packed and bought in the large packet size from Costco(cheaper per gram than supermarkets).
I have the non-grinder version of the Sage machine for home which is excellent (and better than the 2 previous Gaggia machines I had) and the Aeropress for camping and using the Lavazza for both applications gives me the most consistent coffee for the time spent..

This is my solution to frothed milk in the field, slightly large but effective.
d383acb087e57017c3244c9c1b25431c.jpg

It's kind of a cross between a mokka pot and steamer.

The coffee is the strongest coffee hit I ever had, like Klatchian coffee. Some foamed.milk helps tone it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! Steampunk coffee maker - love it!

I know I shall get into trouble here but I just can't help myself!

Why do people want frothy milk for a latte? Coffee with froth on top is cappuccino - coffee shops have now invented a name for what should be a latte, they call it a 'flat white'. Very odd.

Hope I'm not 'polluting' this thread - the above is coffee related after all............

:oops:
'Flat white' coffee seems to have originated in NZ, with a few cafes in the UK that had kiwi staff adding it to the coffee menu. No frothy coffee for me. Just heated milk, flat. Ha ha. Did someone say "coffee snobs"...

I can recommend the cafflano, as a lover of coffee gadgets I was fortunate to get one from Santa. It lives in the cali and a nice morning ritual to grind the beans & get great coffee. Nothing beats fresh coffee, sitting on the step of your cali sucking in the view with a new adventure awaiting. Not too messy if you sit filter in sink to drain & bump grounds into bin, just a few grounds to chase down the sink to rinse the filter. AeroPress is also very good, but prefer Cafflano, would not be without it & nice & compact as it is the cup, filter & grinder together. Will do two cups if you fill filter with strong coffee.

Just wanted to post a big THANK YOU to all who've been contributing to this thread. I wouldn't have considered myself a coffee snob, but some of the comments on here inspired me to maybe put a little more effort into the coffee drinking experience (especially yours @MattBW ;)).

So we decided to dip our toe in and buy the Aeropress.

What can I say, all who mentioned how great it was, you were absolutely right. A beautiful cup of coffee.

So consider me converted...I'm now a loud and proud coffee snob!

Thanks again all :thumb

One thing I like about handpresso is that you can make a really nice espresso while driving (not the driver, but any other passenger), without getting out of the seat to put something on a gas stove.
It's 2-3 minutes for an espresso, fully electrical. It sits in the cup holder.
On long journeys, when the children fell asleep and we don't want to stop just for a coffee (because they tend to wake up when we stop), this was very convenient.

Recently, being out of practise, I forgot the caffinated coffee.
We stopped at Starbucks for a coffee and I spotted and bought a relatively expensive pack of finely ground coffee to use like instant coffee.
I was sceptical but it was surprisingly good.
We use the caffietiere in the van for our first cuppa and despite the irritating grinds that crop up we stil prefer it's simplicity.

Another vote for the Cafflano. Now even I can make a decent coffee from freshly ground beans.

Interesting reading, I too may have to get an aeropress and join the clan.

Well I've only gone and done it ! Aeropress bought from the York Coffee Emporium with 1 x 200g free and 5 others as a testers. Not sure if its the coffee or the press but this is the best coffee I've ever had. Previous best was Leoni coffee shop in Malton, North Yorkshire.

:bananadance

Well I've only gone and done it ! Aeropress bought from the York Coffee Emporium with 1 x 200g free and 5 others as a testers. Not sure if its the coffee or the press but this is the best coffee I've ever had.

:bananadance

Toldya!

Aeropress really is a no-brainer for simplicity and quality when travelling. It is well worth buying a stainless steel filter. No need to carry filter papers and it tastes better. I have one of these http://tinyurl.com/jz35quz. Order now and it will arrive by the time the warm weather starts.

That really is ideal - ordered immediately!

As promised in a post above a got myself a Aeropress .
Had it a while now , only used it at home so far .
Must say happy with it! But has any of you ever used it upside-down?

As promised in a post above a got myself a Aeropress .
Had it a while now , only used it at home so far .
Must say happy with it! But has any of you ever used it upside-down?

I only ever use it that way, never let it drip

...message ends...

Back