Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Never put tools in your gas bottle housing

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
99.9% of you know this already, but I need to tell the rest of you, "Never put tools in your gas bottle housing".

I did once and I felt so stupid.

I was on one of those hunts for space maximisation - a 4 week trip with a wife and 2 kids needing to bring teddies, books etc. It looked like a cracking idea to put my rarely used 'grips' in with the gas bottle. It was fine for a while, but one day the lid wouldn't spin the whole way round, no matter how much force I used. Rocking the van, emergency stops etc to dislodge the offending article did not work.

Only a trip to a very efficient VW garage in Nuremberg solved the problem, but at the cost of my lid!

What's the cheapest way to buy a new gas lid anyone?IMG_1582.JPG

99.9% of you know this already, but I need to tell the rest of you, "Never put tools in your gas bottle housing".

I was on one of those hunts for space maximisation - a 4 week trip with a wife and 2 kids needing to bring teddies, books etc. It looked like a cracking idea to put my rarely used 'grips' in with the gas bottle. It was fine for a while, but one day the lid wouldn't spin the whole way round, no matter how much force I used. Rocking the van, emergency stops etc to dislodge the offending article did not work.

Only a trip to a very efficient VW garage in Nuremberg solved the problem, but at the cost of my lid!

What's the cheapest way to buy a new gas lid anyone?View attachment 37400

Unlucky. Good of you to put your hand up and warn others.

Mike

Bad luck Acer.

Actually I'd not put be putting any tools in there anyway, or at least not steel tools (that could potentially spark) next to a gas bottle (that could leak). That's why the valves/fittings on a gas cylinder are made from brass or a non-ferrous alloy.

I'm not saying it's a huge risk and I guess you might be okay by wrapping the tools very carefully, but I would tend to avoid it altogether to avoid seeing flames in the rear view mirror half way along a bumpy Italian road.

This has been reported before, not with tools but the Regulator jamming the screw lid if it is not at the correct angle. So don't feel too bad about it.

I'm not allowed to carry tools :sad

Friends, family and neighbours have sought an ASBO to try and prevent me from touching anything DIY orientated .....

but @acer thanks for the heads up. I have from time to time thought of stuffing other bits in there :D

Last edited:
Could also happen if the regulator is in a wrong position , you always need to look out ....

Also I think if the tools wear a hole in the sidewall, then fresh water will leak out as the gas compartment is one piece with the water tank.

Thank you for the advise, I would not have thought about this.

Have I said that, few month ago a brush fell down in the utility. The brush handle bar fell behind the door handle. This kind of prevented the door to open at all! :(. I had to crawl through a small window into the utility (far too small for my big bum :D) under the lovely "comments" of my wonderful family. If there wouldn't have been a window we would had to take the door out (somehow). I know bit off topic - but I still smile thinking about this. :)

Regards,
Eberhard

Also I think if the tools wear a hole in the sidewall, then fresh water will leak out as the gas compartment is one piece with the water tank.

The underside of the gasbotlle can cause thesame . It can have sharp edges from scraping on conctrete floors as they are not new.
I posted how to prevent a damaged gasbotlle holder with a simple trick in the sticky post in general technical advise .

The underside of the gasbotlle can cause thesame . It can have sharp edges from scraping on conctrete floors as they are not new.
I posted how to prevent a damaged gasbotlle holder with a simple trick in the sticky post in general technical advise .
Thanks for directing me to that really useful thread Wim, which is here for those of you that haven’t read all 5 pages of it. Enjoy Denmark https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cali-technical-tips-tricks.9457/

Mine was jammed when I got it, didn’t think to check at the dealership. Used a piece of wood and a mallet to turn it.