Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New 2019 Beach - Bike rack stolen within 48 hrs

T

timrobinson229

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Got our lovely new beach on Wednesday this week and drove back to Bristol.

Looked out the window this am and the genuine VW rack has been stolen overnight - no alarm, no damage just lifted straight off.

Anyone else had this? Would have thought they would have been more secure to be honest.

I'm not getting a replacement - managed to get a towbar and Thule bike racks booked in before our holiday on the 18th. Better for the autoroutes anyway just not as convenient for day to day (I'd already used the rack yesterday!)

Bit of a disappointing start!

Ther is another current post of this happening. I only remember perhaps 2 similar posts in 5 years.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this. It is designed to be safe from theft when the tailgate is closed, but clearly isn’t, but I don’t understand how?

Is the T6 model more vulnerable? Was yours the Quasimodo modern design or the Kylie which followed the T5 design?

I lost a clamp, bolt and roller once, I assumed due to vibration (fitted by dealer). I replaced both bolts with security bolts (2 types) and anti vibration washers - which should be supplied as standard. I’m wondering if they start to loosen then they become more vulnerable to theft?

Depending on the answers you get here, I wonder if a claim against the dealer is possible in your circumstances? (I’m assuming they fitted it?)

Type bike rack stolen in the search box. It's happened before. Looks like it's getting more common. Perhaps the thieving scum are realising how dear they are. Some people fit security bolts where you need special screwdriver heads to remove them. In theory your supposed to have to open the tailgate to remove the bolts. I had a rack on my old beach. Decided I would rather not have one as some scum will no doubt damage the van ripping it off. Stick with your towbar plan mate

Looked out the window this am and the genuine VW rack has been stolen overnight - no alarm, no damage just lifted straight off.

Anyone else had this? Would have thought they would have been more secure to be honest.

I'm not getting a replacement - managed to get a towbar and Thule bike racks booked in before our holiday on the 18th. Better for the autoroutes anyway just not as convenient for day to day (I'd already used the rack yesterday!)

Oh what a pain and a naff start to owning the Cali.
May I ask which part of Bristol you are in?
We’re in the Chew Valley and are seeing a rise in shed/garage theft.
Anti theft bolts now on my list, but until I source them, I’ll start reverse parking the Cali hard up against the wall.

Make sure you chain your rack to the chassis (tailgate or towbar mounted). For less than £3 a thief could take some towbar mounted one without needing any tools ; Thule locking knobs no longer have the key numbers on the lock barrel, they are only shown on the key. My old Atera Strada had the numbers on the lock barrrel, so worth a quick check just in case - suggest you use a Dremel to make the number unreadable and take a note of the key number in your owners manual.

View attachment 62101View attachment 62101
If you have a Towbar rack fitted and plugged in with the vehicle Locked, then the vehicle alarm sounds if the electrical circuit is broken by unplugging it.

Good morning,

Sorry to hear this. It is so annoying that there are people around believe they have the right to take away things from people who have worked hard for it. It angers me each time I hear about it.

I believe that your bike rack was for the tailgate. To losen the two screws you need different (I would say not standard) tools. Strange that they had those tools with them. Normally I don't use the bike rack (I think it is more a fashion design than practical) so I can't remember if it is possible to take it off the tailgate if everything is locked.

Beside the original design I wouldn't add any further security steps for the original VW bike rack. If somebody is after the VW bike rack he / she might cause than more damage than it is worth.

If I had to start again I certainly would get a towbar and a bike rack sitting on top of it. I think they are more practical:

• To install the bike rack on the van is easier
  • To get bicycles on bike rack is easier
  • The bikes won't be over the roofline
  • Is more secure (as mentioned above alarm goes off if the bike rack is unplugged)
Best of luck and most of all "Happy California".

Regards,
Eberhard

Depending on the answers you get here, I wonder if a claim against the dealer is possible in your circumstances? (I’m assuming they fitted it?)

Are the T6 ones also made by Thule (as the T5)? Given the price its also worth informing the manufacturer as possibly a be a design fault, as so far only T6's design seem have been affected.Possibly unconnected but the 2 racks that have gone this week have both been from brand new vans from Bristol / SW Area (taken from club profiles) - did same dealer supply both these vans?.

Anti theft bolts now on my list, but until I source them, I’ll start reverse parking the Cali hard up against the wall.

The other owner who had their rack stolen recently was @Gibros. I think he might be from the Bristol area as he has mentioned Heritage Bristol in past posts.

That’s dreadful you must be gutted, sorry you’ve had such a horrible experience but don’t let the scumbag spoil your enjoyment of your new Beach.

With the current trend for Campervans, DIY especially, it's looking like the steal it rather than buy it fraternity are getting more active.

WE have bought the Thule velospace XT bike rack for our cali. The huge advantage is that you can really easily open the tailgate with you bikes still on the rack in 2 seconds which we see as a great advantage. We bought the two bike version because we will never need more than two bikes but here is the 3 bike version - both can have a 1 bike additional section added if needed. It also carries a box and one bike which is a nice alternative to have. The way the rack drops is so clever and quick. Thanks above for the tip about if the bike rack is connected the alarm will go off if removed, really useful to know that!
Thule VeloSpace XT 3-Bike Towbar Mounted Bike Rack

WE have bought the Thule velospace XT bike rack for our cali. The huge advantage is that you can really easily open the tailgate with you bikes still on the rack in 2 seconds which we see as a great advantage. We bought the two bike version because we will never need more than two bikes but here is the 3 bike version - both can have a 1 bike additional section added if needed. It also carries a box and one bike which is a nice alternative to have. The way the rack drops is so clever and quick. Thanks above for the tip about if the bike rack is connected the alarm will go off if removed, really useful to know that!
Thule VeloSpace XT 3-Bike Towbar Mounted Bike Rack
I did my research previously (in fact was buying another van with a towbar but changed to this highly specced Beach) and actually had one that I took back. All reordered for delivery this morning the 4th bike attachment and the detachable Westfalia bar!

Good morning,

Sorry to hear this. It is so annoying that there are people around believe they have the right to take away things from people who have worked hard for it. It angers me each time I hear about it.

I believe that your bike rack was for the tailgate. To losen the two screws you need different (I would say not standard) tools. Strange that they had those tools with them. Normally I don't use the bike rack (I think it is more a fashion design than practical) so I can't remember if it is possible to take it off the tailgate if everything is locked.

Beside the original design I wouldn't add any further security steps for the original VW bike rack. If somebody is after the VW bike rack he / she might cause than more damage than it is worth.

If I had to start again I certainly would get a towbar and a bike rack sitting on top of it. I think they are more practical:

• Is more secure (as mentioned above alarm goes off if the bike rack is unplugged)

Regards,
Eberhard
This - tow bar was always the better option. I do a lot of cycling and trips with bikes in Europe so its a win-win overall. Got to look at the positives!

Westbury Park. My neighbour had one parked outside for years and no theft!

Just had a message from neighbour on neighbourhood watch group - 3 bike racks stolen yesterday from the backs of campers in our postcode.

Good morning,

Regards,
Eberhard
Hex security bits are widely available in most tool/Screwfix type outlets for very little money and professional thieves would certainly be going equipped with all manner of useful equipment to overcome a couple of bolts.

Hi Tim :welcome

So sorry to hear your bad news.

There is a new thread which aims to try to solve the riddle of how thieves are able to remove the rear mounted bike rack.

May I ask if any damage was done to the tailgate ?
or rear lights?
Even just slight marks etc that may not immediately be obvious,
including marks to the tailgate rubber seal?

Do you have power latching rear tailgate ?

I hope you don’t mind me asking.

Hi Tim

Applogies, do you know that there are two types of VW bike rack.
The older : nicknamed “Kylie”
The newer “Quasimodo”

Do you know which type you had supplied by the dealer ?

Hi,

No damage at all you wouldnt know they had even entered - Im a bit worried they managed to get inside the vehicle somehow almost.

I have a power latching rear tailgate

Tim

Hi,

No damage at all you wouldnt know they had even entered - Im a bit worried they managed to get inside the vehicle somehow almost.

I have a power latching rear tailgate

Tim
Hi Tim May I suggest you look at the new thread developing

Hi Tim May I suggest you look at the new thread developing

After reading the other thread I went out checked my bike rack. It looks quite easy to undo the bottom bolts. I will now remove the whole thing and put it back in the shed as my Cali is off the road for the near future - trying out a bigger self build tomorrow in Cornwall.