Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New 204 4Mo - Starlight Blue - Great First Camp

Swello

Swello

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I guess this is an intro thread as I've been exclusively hanging around the Order Delay thread so far....I finally picked up my 204 last midweek after 7 months of impatient waiting and I'm delighted with it. The van is very close to a "stock" 204 Ocean and I really like the slightly utilitarian feel that it has. I've been impressed with the way that others have modified their Cali's but my plans are to keep things as minimal as possible.

Last night, I had my first camping experience about 45 mins from home and it was pretty special - so I took the opportunity to take the traditional "new cali" photos.

PXL_20210417_044050740.jpg
PXL_20210417_044144820.jpg
PXL_20210417_061304468-2.jpg

PXL_20210416_220940571.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20210417_062029555.jpg
DJI_0038.jpg

I slept in the roof bed last night and although it got down to minus 3 outside (and not far off it inside!), I was perfectly warm under my Thermarest Down Quilt. I'm an experienced wild camper (of the 1 man tent in the middle of nowhere variety) and so my comfort threshold is probably lower than most but in any case, it felt like complete luxury.

My plans are to use the Cali as a mobile base for hillwalking and related stuff and so it will most likely not see too many campsites and it probably won't be seen outside of the hilly parts of Scotland too often. I've spent a lot of years kipping in the back of my car, so this is a massive step up and one that I've fancied for years. My normal usage would be to arrive late (after 9pm) at wherever I'm going walking the next day and get an early start - so the deck chairs, table and awning might not see a lot of use :)

The build quality of the 6.1 Cali seems to be really high and I've been really impressed with the performance of the engine so far - but it will take me longer than a few days to really form an opinion as I've no previous experience of camper vans save for hiring a fiat ducato campervan once.

Looking forward to future adventures :)

Great photos.and
I guess this is an intro thread as I've been exclusively hanging around the Order Delay thread so far....I finally picked up my 204 last midweek after 7 months of impatient waiting and I'm delighted with it. The van is very close to a "stock" 204 Ocean and I really like the slightly utilitarian feel that it has. I've been impressed with the way that others have modified their Cali's but my plans are to keep things as minimal as possible.

Last night, I had my first camping experience about 45 mins from home and it was pretty special - so I took the opportunity to take the traditional "new cali" photos.

View attachment 76855
View attachment 76856
View attachment 76858

View attachment 76854
View attachment 76859
View attachment 76852

I slept in the roof bed last night and although it got down to minus 3 outside (and not far off it inside!), I was perfectly warm under my Thermarest Down Quilt. I'm an experienced wild camper (of the 1 man tent in the middle of nowhere variety) and so my comfort threshold is probably lower than most but in any case, it felt like complete luxury.

My plans are to use the Cali as a mobile base for hillwalking and related stuff and so it will most likely not see too many campsites and it probably won't be seen outside of the hilly parts of Scotland too often. I've spent a lot of years kipping in the back of my car, so this is a massive step up and one that I've fancied for years. My normal usage would be to arrive late (after 9pm) at wherever I'm going walking the next day and get an early start - so the deck chairs, table and awning might not see a lot of use :)

The build quality of the 6.1 Cali seems to be really high and I've been really impressed with the performance of the engine so far - but it will take me longer than a few days to really form an opinion as I've no previous experience of camper vans save for hiring a fiat ducato campervan once.

[/QUO
Great photos and congrats and the arrival of your new van

Great photos.and
....congrats on the arrival of your new van !

Wow, wonderful pictures of your first night in the Cali. I can sense your excitement in your posting. Enjoy.

Looks epic. Such beautiful views.

Enjoy your bus. Few things will bring you such contentment

View attachment 76855
View attachment 76856
View attachment 76858

View attachment 76854
View attachment 76859
View attachment 76852

If you buy anything extra get the iso top it’s amazing the temperature difference I think is massive less heat loss ,lovely pictures enjoy

If you buy anything extra get the iso top it’s amazing the temperature difference I think is massive less heat loss ,lovely pictures enjoy
I was really comfortable even though it was cold outside - maybe it's because I voluntarily do this sort of thing :)

PXL_20201228_160656034.jpg

What I did find interesting as a campervan amateur was just how big the temperature difference was between "downstairs" which was cosy enough - despite sub-zero outside - to be sitting with a t-shirt on with the parking heater at "4" and "upstairs" which felt only slightly warmer than a normal tent.

Cold I can deal with - I'm more worried about how warm it gets up there in the summer :)

Stunning pics!
Waiting for a Starlight Blue ocean - similar purpose, weekend hill runs in the Pyrenees, but it will see a lot of family use too. We’re tent campers really and have kit for most eventualities (much of which will live in the van) so the knowledge that decent bags should obviate the need for a Cali topper or similar is reassuring.

enjoy the van, looks amazing :)

Stunning pics!
Waiting for a Starlight Blue ocean - similar purpose, weekend hill runs in the Pyrenees, but it will see a lot of family use too. We’re tent campers really and have kit for most eventualities (much of which will live in the van) so the knowledge that decent bags should obviate the need for a Cali topper or similar is reassuring.

enjoy the van, looks amazing :)

The dealer told me that they didn't sell that many Starlight Blue - but I chose it as a decent stealth colour given that I'll be spending most of the time parked up in non-campsite locations. The other colour that caught my eye for the same reason was "pure grey" until I realised that it's not a UK colour.

Most of the gear that I've got for the van was existing camping/hiking gear (eg, GSI Pinnacle Basecamp pots) or from brands that I already trust from outdoors stuff (Sea-to-summit camping mat and my thermarest Vela down quilt) - I'm missing a few bits and pieces that the experienced campervan owners on here would take for granted but I'll get that stuff gradually as I learn what works.

Yep, as you say the problem will be when the temps hit the 30s! Probably just put a tarp up outside and sleep under that!

I really wanted a black van like my current one but then once I realised Starlight was the colour of my late Dad’s T5.1 then I had to go for it, really.

Internal Isotop insulation will keep it cooler in the heat too.

Double solar panels might provide a little protection from the sun during the summer and I'd think an option to consider given you want to be wild-camping most of the time.

View attachment 76855
View attachment 76856
View attachment 76858

View attachment 76854
View attachment 76859
View attachment 76852

Stunning photos!

Managed to get first "proper" trip in the new van. Arrived at around 11pm at the remote West Highland station where my walk started, had enough time for a quick dram before using the lower bed for the first time as I was in stealth camp mode. I had an uninterrupted sleep which is the best advert for the S2S mattress and the blackout blinds.

Being able to be up early, have a proper breakfast and get everything organised - and still be on my way before anyone else arrived was a bit of a revelation to me (and was what I had been hoping for).

After the walk, I had my first experience of a random person coming up to talk about the van (and have a look round) - I assume this happens a lot :)

And it was a nice day:

PXL_20210424_063340145.jpg

PXL_20210424_063858426.jpg

PXL_20210424_074536853.jpg

DSC03605-3.jpg

DSC03614.jpg