Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New addition - Double Swivel Seat

vw_liz

vw_liz

Hello everyone,

hows your maths?

T4 westfalia '91
3 kids + 2 adults = 5 passengers.
2 Front seats + 2 seat on the rear bench = 4 seats. Grrrr!

The kids are still quite small and although I am sure we could cram one into a cupboard we thought a extra seat may be the best solution.

We noticed that you can get another bench to fit the rails but we couldn't find any for sale in the uk and the ones in germany were very expensive once you add in the cost of getting it home...

So we decided to swap the single passenger seat for a double swivel seat and it is fantastic!

We bought a double seat from ebay (£50) and this double seat swivel plate from Kiravans (£270):
http://www.kiravans.co.uk/shop-home...at-swivel-european-left-hand-drive-model.html

Only took about 30 minute to install. I was concerned that it would be difficult to swivel the double seat but its easier to turn than the single!

Also, the double seat I bought folds flat which makes a nice step for the pop-top bed! :thumb

Edit:
After looking at the pics I think it may be time to clean the van.... :oops:

Thanks,
Jim and Liz

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Interesting. I'm thinking that it is a great way to get 6seats in a beach without the need for the extra two seats. Is it a bit odd a squeeze? Has anyone tried this on a beach?

Do the more modern T5's with passenger airbags come with a double seat?
Would you have to switch off the passenger seat airbag system?
How do you get round the DVLA V5 which normally states the number of seats in the vehicle?

I'm just posing the questions - I don't know the answers, but I would check the MOT regulations.

WelshGas said:
How do you get round the DVLA V5 which normally states the number of seats in the vehicle?

I'm just posing the questions - I don't know the answers, but I would check the MOT regulations.

Yes, standard supply for a T5 panel van. Does not have a tilting back though, but does have storage under the seat squab which hinges forward.

The single passenger Captain's seat is an option on the van.

AlanC said:
WelshGas said:

Yes, standard supply for a T5 panel van. Does not have a tilting back though, but does have storage under the seat squab which hinges forward.

The single passenger Captain's seat is an option on the van.

Should have said the Captain's seats for driver and passenger are options.

Alan

:D

We've got 2 kids and we got the extra row of seats for occasional friends tagging along. Mostly on day trips as you'd need to store the thing somewhere at night for camping.

Double front is a nice solution. Just hope the Mrs doesn't see it as one of my counter arguments vs No.3 is that we'd have to sell the bus!

Hello everyone,

hows your maths?

T4 westfalia '91
3 kids + 2 adults = 5 passengers.
2 Front seats + 2 seat on the rear bench = 4 seats. Grrrr!

The kids are still quite small and although I am sure we could cram one into a cupboard we thought a extra seat may be the best solution.

We noticed that you can get another bench to fit the rails but we couldn't find any for sale in the uk and the ones in germany were very expensive once you add in the cost of getting it home...

So we decided to swap the single passenger seat for a double swivel seat and it is fantastic!

I love this! Definitely on the 'hope to do' list :thumb
Thanks for sharing... (even I'm a little late to the party!) - @vw_liz how is this solution working out now its been installed a while?

...though, my OCD kicking in, does anyone know if its possible to get a seat like this recovered in 'step by step' upholstery? Suppose first question is can the material be sourced?

The middle seat, is it just a lap belt? Is that still legal?

Cheers...

Is that gen VW kit? Crash certified?

We bought a double seat from ebay (£50) and this double seat swivel plate from Kiravans (£270):
http://www.kiravans.co.uk/shop-home...at-swivel-european-left-hand-drive-model.html

Hi,
I wanted to ask a follow up from ‘VW_Liz’, but seems last logged on back in 2014…

I wonder if anyone else has done this switch from single (captain seat) to double. From what I understand from Kirivans (the maker of the double swivel adapter), there are normally 6 bolts holding a double seat – obviously there are only 4 for a single seat from a Cali….

Seems though from the pics above that all should be ok for this, but before I go further with this idea I had wanted to ask a little more from someone who’d done it – are there any others out there who’ve swapped the passenger captain for a double (Swivelled)?

Cheers!

Back