Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Beacher

I know they should but but even so they still have the potential to provide some discomfort. They are covered altogether with the mattress so not a problem.

To be fair I've never tried sleeping on the bench without the VW Comfort mattress but I wouldn't want to. I once tried lying down on it without the mattress but decided there and then that it wasn't for me.

If you find it ok then that's all that matters.
Like i said: we’ll have to agree that we disagree, and that is fine!

We have the 3 seater + thick mattress which came with the van when we purchased 2nd hand.

I would say its necessary on the 3 seater, as the seats have alot of odd bumps (whereas the 2 seater bench is flatter)
We have the 2 seater which is flat but we still use Duvalays as we found the seat alone too firm.

I’ll keep you posted on my comfort thoughts. Why does that white board thing have flaps that go up and down - is it just to make it shorter at either the back or front. Seems a complicated thing for what looks like a shelf!

I’ll keep you posted on my comfort thoughts. Why does that white board thing have flaps that go up and down - is it just to make it shorter at either the back or front. Seems a complicated thing for what looks like a shelf!
The rear lift up flap (the one at the back of the van) enables you to get at the contents of the boot beneath the "Multiflex board" whereas the drop down flap towards the front can be dropped so that the bench can be moved further back towards the rear of the van. Useful for creating more interior space and/or leg room if in seven seat mode.

The rear lift up flap (the one at the back of the van) enables you to get at the contents of the boot beneath the "Multiflex board" whereas the drop down flap towards the front can be dropped so that the bench can be moved further back towards the rear of the van. Useful for creating more interior space and/or leg room if in seven seat mode.
Thanks Borris - that makes sense. Seems to be pretty solid construction and well put together - I bet some aeroplanes have lower quality flap mechanisms! You’ve got to love German engineering:)

We bought the Duvalay all in one mattress and duvet. Expensive but brilliant so far! Smooths out the bench seat a treat. They roll up and sit in the top of the multi flex board nicely.

Thanks @slipper its nice to have some recommendations if I go down the mattress route.

We bought the Duvalay all in one mattress and duvet. Expensive but brilliant so far! Smooths out the bench seat a treat. They roll up and sit in the top of the multi flex board nicely.
Yep they are the ones we use, we got the 4cm as the 5cm are quite bulky to store but wanted more than the 2.5cm. We think they are excellent, wouldn’t be without them.

….. whereas the drop down flap towards the front can be dropped so that the bench can be moved further back towards the rear of the van. Useful for creating more interior space and/or leg room if in seven seat mode.
We use this dropdown flap too, but to keep the downstairs bed a bit shorter. Handy when the kids sleep downstairs, as it gives us some more room to move around in the van with the bed made. Only possible with smaller kids, of course!

Oh come on, do you call that packing? Mrs B's never happy unless the suspension has hit the bump stops. :thumb

Have a great time with your lovely crew.

Oh come on, do you call that packing? Mrs B's never happy unless the suspension has hit the bump stops. :thumb

Have a great time with your lovely crew.
Haha Many thanks - we will - especially as we are visiting longleat as well:)

I’ve got the VW factory comfort mattress in my current Beach and I’m surprised that it doesn’t make the bed 100% flat. It’s close but not quite.

I’ve got the VW factory comfort mattress in my current Beach and I’m surprised that it doesn’t make the bed 100% flat. It’s close but not quite.
Have you got it the correct way up ?
the mattress has profiles to match the seat on the rear, front face should be flat ?

Have you got it the correct way up ?
the mattress has profiles to match the seat on the rear, front face should be flat ?
Yeah! The underside has tapered ends to suit the seat contours..

Haha Many thanks - we will - especially as we are visiting longleat as well:)
Your not going to drive through the monkey enclosure in your Beach are you? :Nailbiting

They will almost certainly inspect your roof seals for you but not necessarily in the approved manner.

Have a great time.

Your not going to drive through the monkey enclosure in your Beach are you? :Nailbiting

They will almost certainly inspect your roof seals for you but not necessarily in the approved manner.

Have a great time.
More thoroughly than VW ever would :oops:

Have a great time.
No way was I taking my beach in and I’m glad I didn’t - I watched 2 monkeys pull all four reversing sensors off the Touran in front - they literally ate the plastic sensor bit and discarded the wires whilst sat on the top of another car. They then returned to the Touran for desert (I kid you not) and swung on the rear wiper until they yanked it off. It was unbelievable - 4 sensors and a rear wiper!! Is it wrong to admit I was killing myself with laughter- had tears rolling down my face - it tickled me.

No way was I taking my beach in and I’m glad I didn’t - I watched 2 monkeys pull all four reversing sensors off the Touran in front - they literally ate the plastic sensor bit and discarded the wires. Whilst sat on the top of another car. They then returned to the Touran for desert (I kid you not) and swung in the rear wiper until they yanked it off. It was unbelievable - 4 sensors and a rear wiper!!
I'm sure those blighters have some sort of second hand parts to order scam going on.

I'm sure those blighters have some sort of second hand parts to order scam going on.
They can undo roof boxes too. We saw a monkey with a child’s pair of orange pants on it’s head!
You can bypass the monkey enclosure, but we chose to drive back through and include the monkeys at the end of the day, so it wasn’t so busy. I’d recommend going through the safari part at the end of the day, as the lions are awake then too.

There was one of the big heinous white campers in there and they pulled the rubber bump stop off that ran down the side of it - it was about 20 foot long - one was running with it and others were chasing it. Not the place for a nice beach!

There was one of the big heinous white campers in there and they pulled the rubber bump stop off that ran down the side of it - it was about 20 foot long - one was running with it and others were chasing it. Not the place for a nice beach!
I remember going through the lion enclosure when our kids were young. I had tied a used plastic supermarket bag around the greasy tow ball to stop my trousers getting ruined. I don't know what had previously been in it but the lions went mad to get at it. The sight of a fully grown male lion in your rear view mirror certainly made my pulse rate rise.

Slept like a log - lovely peaceful spot - silence only broken by the roar of the primus:)

257BEAF8-99DF-4272-9A09-2FFF8640C273.jpeg