Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali(Basil) arriving next week

john mar

john mar

Basil
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I very much appriciate this forum.And all the knowledge I am gaining. Our cali(Basil) is due in next week.Bit nervous.

Could someone please direct me to a thread about the Cali toppers and windscreen covers that we need to buy.

Thank you all.

John and Gwen

Congrats on your (impending) new Basil. Very exciting!

Before you go ahead and spend a lot on a topper or a screen cover, think carefully about whether you really 'need' either of them. We have a topper but never use it now, even for sleeping upstairs in winter (just have a decent duvet), and have never bothered with a screen cover at all, just internal blinds.

At the same time there will be people who wouldn't leave home without those extras. But the Cali as 'VW intended' is quite capable of keeping you pretty snug in most conditions (I'm assuming here that you will have an Ocean, or a Beach with the auxiliary heater option. If not, then yes you probably will need toppers etc).

Thank you

I am also looking at cables.And when i start reading its very confusing when people start talking about amps needed.
I am going to listen to your advise and wait.We hope to go away as soon as possible and we have never done this before and we will be asking the club for help if thats ok.
We purchased an ocean from SMG Tonbridge> Martin the saleman said , they are coming through quick maybe to do with brexit?/

Thanks again.

John

Sorry I forgot to link this thread on toppers:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-toppers-comparison.27910/

Re cables, I assume you mean a hook-up cable (for connecting to a campsite electric supply)? You will certainly need that even if only for topping up the leisure batteries at home. The club shop version "Premium Campervan Cable" is a good one to buy, but also make sure you also order the little extension that is called "UK Hookup Adapter for use at Home".

Don;t worry about the amps rating, the club cable will be fine.

Various opinions exist on what length of cable to buy. But unless you're going to use a lot of continental campsites, which sometimes need long cables, a 15 metre is probably fine and you can always buy an extension or a longer one later if you really need it.

Various opinions exist on what length of cable to buy. But unless you're going to use a lot of continental campsites, which sometimes need long cables, a 15 metre is probably fine and you can always buy an extension or a longer one later if you really need it.

To add to this, I got a 25m cable thinking I might as well go big to cover all situations but it's actually quite a pain having all that cable to roll up/store/take space up in the van

Get a 10m cable and a 15 m. You can use either and also split them to give external power. And when you need to you can connect them together for a whopping 25m connection. I have the topper. With a big comfy quilt upstairs I found that lake district proper rain wicked through the canvas top as the quilt touched the sides making the bed wet. No bed wetting jokes yet. Also in snow it keeps the mechanism clear of snow and ice. Welcome.

Club shop is the shop you need to get some ideas about all the gadgets to add to your California. Become VIP and might get some discounts on some products.
Re topper: got one from a German brand,
re front screen: also got one from Germany and cable: local VW dealer and diy shop.

Basil has arrived at SMG TONBRIDGE.:thumb ordered October.

Martin(sales) told me that six have arrived today,WOW.

Very pleased going down to have a look ,pick up next saturday the 12.Just insurance to sort out now.maybe some one can recomend .?

Thanks for all the help VW Cali club members.........:thanks