Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali Beach £45k in Europe- anyone bought overseas?

C

California219

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi folks

Thought for interest I would see what prices are doing on the continent. I went to the VW Germany site and looked at the configurator there.

EUR 55000 for a new beach including all sales taxes which is about £45000 at today’s exchange rate.

I seem to recall buying on the continent was quite popular in the early noughties. Is it still possible to do this?

Should add I think the new price for a beach in the UK is around £58000 although clearly you can save around £5000 with the likes of drivethedeal.

Still a fair saving to be had buying from Europe though.

There used to specification differences between Countries, probably still is. Procedure used to be vehicle bought local Duty free then UK Duties paid to import. Headlights and speedo needed to be to UK spec. Usually Belgium dealers sorted it all out leaving just collection and drive back.

Would tend to thing that with current Covid travel issues combined with the post Brexit era not being fully settled it could be more hassle than the financial gain justifies. Just my view.

Should add I think the new price for a beach in the UK is around £58000 although clearly you can save around £5000 with the likes of drivethedeal.

Still a fair saving to be had buying from Europe though.
Is there a saving? If you bought in Europe, new, and then imported into UK, you would buy , less European taxes, but pay UK taxes, DVLA and VAT, in UK. The Beach Tour is classed as a MPV so also attracts the over £40,000 luxury car tax for 5 yrs.
However, if you bought in Europe but did not import for 12 months and covered a minimum 6000 miles then the tax costs are much less.

Is there a saving? If you bought in Europe, new, and then imported into UK, you would buy , less European taxes, but pay UK taxes, DVLA and VAT, in UK. The Beach Tour is classed as a MPV so also attracts the over £40,000 luxury car tax for 5 yrs.
However, if you bought in Europe but did not import for 12 months and covered a minimum 6000 miles then the tax costs are much less.
Used to have to be a resident for 12 months from purchase not just the vehicle there.

I used to work in the auto industry and this "grey import" market has all but stopped. The reality, tax wise, is apart from a few countries it more or less levels out in the end, unless you live and own the vehicle abroad. When I was in the army in the 80's we did this all the time, but in all cases we would pick the cars up in the UK and then drive them back to Germany. Due to homologation differences between countries it's not that easy to buy a UK spec car abroad and then come back with it. It used to be dealers were getting their hands on UK spec and grey selling them, but OEMs have clamped that down. The main country that used be be great for doing this was the Nordics, because of their very high tax, 40% plus on cars - meant you used to be able to buy a car tax free (UK spec) and after importing and paying the UK 20% you were still quids in. Again, now blocked and more or less impossible.

We bought a Kepler One whilst living in Germany a couple of years back and imported it to the U.K. in 2019 when we moved back.

It was a ball ache regarding paperwork. The actual fitment of new front & rear lights plus a letter from the garage to confirm speedo was reading mph (from digital display) was the easy bit.

Cost about £1.5k and lots of evenings of paperwork to do. But that was also in pre-Brexit land when we could show we’d paid VAT in a European Country so we’re exempt from duty here. Wouldn’t want to go anywhere near importing now.

I reckon I’ve paid a fair bit under LIST before adding on taxis/air fare, cert of mutual recognition, bumping up the warranty etc. BUT it’s difficult to ascertain as I’ve bought an Ocean EDITION model.
didn’t do it for the saving so much as for the edition and LHD - after drive the deal etc there’s probably not massive amounts in it.

Sitting in it at Eurotunnel terminal (since 3 am) bringing it home. Standard Le Sh*ttle affair - arrive on time (just) waved through everything. We were the ONLY car here and the ‘last man’ didn’t lift the barrier so we’re waiting for 2 hours longer. Thanks little shuttle man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon I’ve paid a fair bit under LIST before adding on taxis/air fare, cert of mutual recognition, bumping up the warranty etc. BUT it’s difficult to ascertain as I’ve bought an Ocean EDITION model.
didn’t do it for the saving so much as for the edition and LHD - after drive the deal etc there’s probably not massive amounts in it.

Sitting in it at Eurotunnel terminal (since 3 am) bringing it home. Standard Le Sh*ttle affair - arrive on time (just) waved through everything. We were the ONLY car here and the ‘last man’ didn’t lift the barrier so we’re waiting for 2 hours longer. Thanks little shuttle man.

Don’t forget to add a pic of new van.

Hi folks

Thought for interest I would see what prices are doing on the continent. I went to the VW Germany site and looked at the configurator there.

EUR 55000 for a new beach including all sales taxes which is about £45000 at today’s exchange rate.

I seem to recall buying on the continent was quite popular in the early noughties. Is it still possible to do this?
Yes but if you import in to UK you will get clobbered with taxes.

Yes but if you import in to UK you will get clobbered with taxes.

You’d buy it excl. VAT (for export) in Germany then pay your 20% VAT in the Uk using the HMRC NoVA process.

Don’t forget to add a pic of new van.

7868aa291f740dd91efc11da55484446.jpg

The clock ticks slowly at 04:30 when you’re waiting for Le Shuttle.

SYou’d buy it excl. VAT (for export) in Germany then pay your 20% VAT in the Uk using the HMRC NoVA process.

And you have to take into account transportation costs etc: when importing a new vehicle and your time completing paperwork etc:
If comparing the same vehicle spec as you would purchase in the UK I very much doubt if there is much financial saving. In + s2bear s case the vehicle he is importing is not available in the UK.

Back