Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali companion

So after many months of planning, we now have a new companion to join us on post lockdown trips. Very happy, despite prices going crazy whilst we spent so long thinking about making the leap!

Ginnie arrived and has melted our hearts

View attachment 71109
View attachment 71110
I hope you didn’t get ripped off as most reputable breeders I know are still charging pre lock down prices for pups.
Ginnie looks lovely. What is she... terrier I think?

We've recently started that same journey although a long way behind you and probably won't buy for 12 months. Two things have surprised me, the high cost of the dogs and difficulty finding trusted breeders. We've read so much about not buying off the internet that we won't go down that route. So if anyone out there knows of either an Italian Greyhound or Whippet breeder we'd like to know.
I'm guessing Ginnie is a Border Terrier?
Have you considered a rescue? We have a rescue whippet and she’s gorgeous. As you’re not in a rush, it’s just a case of regularly checking the centres close to you.

Hi Ginnie! You are one lucky schnauzer (?) puppy.

We've recently started that same journey although a long way behind you and probably won't buy for 12 months. Two things have surprised me, the high cost of the dogs and difficulty finding trusted breeders. We've read so much about not buying off the internet that we won't go down that route. So if anyone out there knows of either an Italian Greyhound or Whippet breeder we'd like to know.
I'm guessing Ginnie is a Border Terrier?
She is a miniature schnauzer and has settled in very well.

i know exactly what you mean about finding a decent breeder. It’s so difficult. We were looking at pets4homes.com for a while but it seemed so full of people exploiting demand.
I found a couple of decent breeders eventually, but it took a long while. Prices were higher than pre-Covid, but not as high as many.

She is a miniature schnauzer and has settled in very well.

i know exactly what you mean about finding a decent breeder. It’s so difficult. We were looking at pets4homes.com for a while but it seemed so full of people exploiting demand.
I found a couple of decent breeders eventually, but it took a long while. Prices were higher than pre-Covid, but not as high as many.
Ginnie is lovely. Mini's are wonderful and we're so lucky to have ours. His name is Freki.

Attachments

• 20180507_162005 (1).jpg
    20180507_162005 (1).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 43
Ginnie is lovely. Mini's are wonderful and we're so lucky to have ours. His name is Freki.
He looks lovely. How old? I do love the look of them and find myself turning into one of those owners who just get besotted.
I’ve never been like this with a pet before.

He looks lovely. How old? I do love the look of them and find myself turning into one of those owners who just get besotted.
I’ve never been like this with a pet before.
He'll be three in February. It's our first mini and it's been a steep learning curve, but he's settled/calmed down a little now and we wouldn't be without him. [He's not too good in the Cali... and he prefers travelling up front on the passenger seat so he can look out].

Have you considered a rescue? We have a rescue whippet and she’s gorgeous. As you’re not in a rush, it’s just a case of regularly checking the centres close to you.
We’ve had 5 rescues In the past 43 years. All have been different but absolutely wonderful. I couldn’t imagine going to a breeder for one.

Ginnie is gorgeous.

We have been thinking of another dog after 25 years, we had a German Shephard but are thinking of something smaller which will probably be a rescue dog, my daughter thinks it's because we are empty nesting after she moved out last year.

Ginnie is gorgeous.

We have been thinking of another dog after 25 years, we had a German Shephard but are thinking of something smaller which will probably be a rescue dog, my daughter thinks it's because we are empty nesting after she moved out last year.
Your daughter’s probably right Karlos. They sure do fill you life with a lot of joy, happiness and give you purpose. All of it much easier than kids too!

Smaller dogs are much more conducive to fitting in the Cali. My favourite breed is Jack Russell. I love the fact that they can look you straight in the eye as if they’re saying, “yeah, whatever, you just carry on thinking you’re my owner”. I also admire their fierce sense of unquestioning loyalty.

Your daughter’s probably right Karlos. They sure do fill you life with a lot of joy, happiness and give you purpose. All of it much easier than kids too!

Smaller dogs are much more conducive to fitting in the Cali. My favourite breed is Jack Russell. I love the fact that they can look you straight in the eye as if they’re saying, “yeah, whatever, you just carry on thinking you’re my owner”. I also admire their fierce sense of unquestioning loyalty.
Our current dog, in the avatar, is Barney. Rescue at 6 months but apparently a cross corgi/dachsund (more corgi but with a longer body). He has no Jack Russell traits whatsoever. Just wants to be “owned”, has no problem solving skills and is scared of his own shadow. A right numpty too. He’s great at travelling and camping though, just loves being in the van, even on his own. It’s great for us as we do lots of festivals and as long as we can check him every couple of hours he’s well happy.

Our current dog, in the avatar, is Barney. Rescue at 6 months but apparently a cross corgi/dachsund (more corgi but with a longer body). He has no Jack Russell traits whatsoever. Just wants to be “owned”, has no problem solving skills and is scared of his own shadow. A right numpty too. He’s great at travelling and camping though, just loves being in the van, even on his own. It’s great for us as we do lots of festivals and as long as we can check him every couple of hours he’s well happy.
All my Tollers have been like that - want to join for the ride - even if they then wait in the supermarket carpark while you shop, or sit in the van whilst for 2 hrs (plus 2 driving) whilst I have agility classes with the young ones. And watching tv they think they are lap dogs, there’s usually a bit of pushing and shoving to be first on the lap :shocked which means I can’t see the screen but at least feel loved and keep warm...
Whatever your choice, pedigree or not, they are devoting loyal companions and mine have saved my mental health many times. I am so lucky to have them take care of me!

Couldn't have a Jack Russell. When I was a boy I used to deliver papers morning and evening including delivering to the local hall which sat in it's own grounds which was used by the Catholic Church as a retreat.

They had a Jack Russell which at every opportunity would ambush me and chase me out of the gates, it got to the point that the local postie and I started to give our deliveries to the local milkman to deliver with the milk but that still left my evening delivery.

I’ve just signed up to foster. I’m not allowed to adopt my first 4 and I've been warned that my first will break my heart to let go to its adoptive family.
I just can’t stand the empty house but think I should keep a period when I can freely travel...I’d love to take my campervan to USA.
And then I’ll add a permanent addition to my ‘family’.....but if the COVID situation lasts much longer, I may have to change my plans!

problem is that there aren’t so many rescue dogs needing foster care at the moment ......the organisation is concerned however that, post COVID, there could be a deluge of unwanted, untrained puppies....!

in the meantime, I’m borrowing dogs to walk....but it’s not the same as having them at home.

Each day we laugh at her and with her. She takes her role as our personal trainer seriously and
as a therapist she’s always there. She’s a running, bounding, ball and stick-fetching piece of canine sculpture. She’s a reservoir of love for anyone who’ll share a moment with her. She’s a first rate security system. She is a valued Cali-companion (when we can) and a COVID blues-buster when we can’t. She‘s Daphne, a two year-old Vizsla and we cannot imagine being without her.