Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New cali, new member!

C

Calivanfan

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone,

I'm Bart. I live in Antwerp, Belgium and I am almost owner of a Ocean DSG 150. I am 33 years old, have two children and a wonderful wife whom I share most of my hobbies with.
Me and my wife did many trips over the last seven years in a full size camper which was owned by my parents. We had full comfort in that camper but still we were always looking in awe to the old and new style VW campers. It has been my boyhood dream to drive a T1 one day...

In October 2019 we went to an exposition of different manufacturers of all styles of Campervans and ofcourse "we just went to look". After talking to the VW salesman we did a simulation for a California coast with very few options so we could see if it might be affordable for us.The salesman saw my enthusiasm en did some calls. So because of the coming of the 6.1 he found a T6 which was still in a showroom somewhere. That was a T6 Ocean DSG with all the toys I thought I didn't need but I still wanted.
When we came home after the expo, we did some calculations and thinking "life may end suddenly come than end unexpectedly, you never know", we decided to just go for it.

It seemed like We jinxed it by saying that particular phrase because in December, after having a couple of seizures (but not that bad, just feeling a bit "off an dizzy") doctors told me I was lucky to be alive. Apparently I have been struggling all of my life with a heart condition and by getting older it was getting dangerous and life threatening. A week after this diagnose I had open heart surgery and now 6 weeks later I am beginning to feel somewhat normal again.

Looking forward to the coming of my T6 is helping me to get through this awful period, meanwhile I have already had a good reading here on the forum so thanks everybody!
Two more weeks and it is ours! yeeeey!

Enjoy your life, family and your new camper, let the adventure begin.

Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell, hope you feel much better soon, You and your family are going to have so much fun in your camper.
We will want to see pictures when it arrives.

One life , live it....
Welcome!

Welcome on board BartStein. As HC says - one life, live it ... and as all people on here will continue to remind you, do share your adventures with us. :thumb :thumb Enjoy the Cali life.

Last edited:
Welcome, wishing you a speedy recovery and great adventures.

Finally got her! Went to pick her up on Valentine's Day :D
Drives like a dream! The adaptive cruise control is awesome...
We had our first night on the driveway of my brother in law, had a great sleep even with the strong winds this weekend. Can't express how happy we all are (kids are really enthusiastic).

The dealer (who drove her himself for 3 months) already put Brandrup carpets in it!
To protect her even more we had already ordered seat covers from California-camping.de and thanks to the forum it was really easy to fit them. It took about 2,5 hours They look really good and the quality is great!
I also have a vinyl sticker laying in the garage, that will be fitted later :)
For the dutch and Belgian cali-owners: I found sheets for the bedding at Leenbakker for about 8 euro's!

I still need to apply some of the "tips&tricks" I read on the forum (like putting a paint dripper at the bottom of the fridge) and we will try to personalize the van a bit more. I think that making the van a mobile "Home" is part of the fun of a California :)

There is only one slight problem. Our water storage is leaking. I check the valve and even when closed, the water keeps dripping out. Probably an o-ring on the valve that doesn't seal enough?? Will call our dealership tomorrow.

and as asked: some pictures

IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

72525B8E-38CA-4D26-A037-427F87DA489F_1_201_a.jpeg

C8BB849A-7698-4D5D-A46E-FED519FBBDD7.jpeg

Welcome and wishing you a speedy recovery Bart. Love the photos of your bus she’s blooming lovely