Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California on order, what’s to do!

O

oliver100

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi

So we ordered a t6.1 California ocean in February and it was supposed to be going into build at the start of April. With everything going on we are starting to think that cancelling the order as the factory is currently shut anyway and with everything going on it’s a huge commitment in such uncertain time’s.

Absolutely gutted to even be considering this but we just don’t see life returning to normal any time soon and I’m guessing residuals on new cars could be a blood bath, so probably worth holding out to see what happens.

Is anyone else in a similar position or does anyone have any advice around this ☹️

It depends on what your future plans will be.
Are you still planning to get a California in the future? Just be aware that prices probably only will rise.
On the other hand, I can understand that you won't be having your California in the near future.

If your plans would change and you wouldn't have the use of a California anymore, it would just be money thrown away...

I would stick to it (from my experience that I have with mine now), but if you order one, and loose the ability in one way or the other to go travelling with it in the future, then try to cancel it.

Tough choice, but we can't decide for you.

I appreciate the input, we would still love a california, but as we cant currently leave the house in the uk without a reasonable reason no vehicle never mind one i can sleep in will be much use in the foreseeable future.

My main concern though is the financials, past the fact that no job security is a guarantee in these times, i would be amazed if VW dont have to offer substantial deals on cars to get them shifting again when this is over. Governments are burning money at the moment propping entire countries up (and rightly so) and the rise in unemployment will be huge even in best case scenario. Ultimately someone is going to have to pay for it all later down the line probably in the form of tax which means luxuries like Cali's may be the last thing on people minds.

Maybe im over reacting but things are looking increasingly bleak globally and its a bit of a strange position to be with such a huge commitment hanging in the balance.

Once again thanks for any opinions :)

I understand your concerns as it's an awful lot of money. We bought ours Sep 19 and only done 1.5k in it and now laid up. It all depends what your long term plans are for holidays etc, but we are retired and easier for us to go as and when we want.

Personally, I cannot see VW raising prices in the short term. In fact I can see them dropping them to encourage sales initially, or adding to the package.

I certainly would not buy now. Prices are likely to tank as they did in 2008 and this is many times worse than then. Hold your money and buy later - you will be able to afford a better vehicle and probably have more choice. In the long term prices may harden (again as it did after 2008) but that is likely to be at least a few years away

Hi

So we ordered a t6.1 California ocean in February and it was supposed to be going into build at the start of April. With everything going on we are starting to think that cancelling the order as the factory is currently shut anyway and with everything going on it’s a huge commitment in such uncertain time’s.

Absolutely gutted to even be considering this but we just don’t see life returning to normal any time soon and I’m guessing residuals on new cars could be a blood bath, so probably worth holding out to see what happens.

Is anyone else in a similar position or does anyone have any advice around this ☹
We are in the same position, our California was meant to be built week 16 I think, mid April (original delivery late May/early June) we hope VW might do a better finance offer from April with base rate now 0.01%, we have decided to still go ahead if possible (depending on the next few months ref the virus) something to look forward to and will make us go out in even more in our first camper van. Not sure ours will be built/ready now till probably late July/August. I suppose a lot depends on your financial position, with so much uncertainty with jobs and finances.

Having spoke to the dealer (which is now closed with most staff currently furloughed) we have been given the option to see what the situation is like in another month or so with the option to cancel at any point.

Apparently our van will be built and delivered either way, but I’m a bit more comfortable with seeing what happens over the the coming weeks. So effectively we can pull out if our new van looks destined to be a long term paperweight that will depreciate like a rock falling from space!

They also seemed receptive to renegotiating based on offers or finance changes so all in all it looks like a problem/decision for my future self, which is great as we have enough to deal with at the moment especially as my wife is a critical care nurse!

It is was me I would pull out now if it is without penalty. You can always opt back in and you should be a lot better off and be able to renegotiate from afresh with more realistic expectations on price. If you wait they might be less generous when things start to bite or say that you accepted the offer of a later date by not cancelling it and waiting for a period of time ... I wouldn't renegotiate now you will certainly get better deal when prices are rebased

cancel and save your money there will be special offers to get the economy going again

We ordered in september 2019 and our baby will be delivered in two weeks. My wife and i understand all concerns regarding jobs, money travelrestrictions and recession, but we have decided to push through nevertheless. We worked long enough in the healthcaresystem to know that all we have is now. In two weeks we will start getting to know and enjoy our little Billie the Kid!

Cheers!

#allwehaveisnow

IMG_5156.JPG

I'm in the cancel camp.I know it sounds a bit doom and gloom! but I'm afraid we are in the world of the unknown at the moment.
I wouldn't commit to any big cost items like the Cali

To me; my order is for a long term venture and feel confident that in 5 to 10 years time the economy will have recovered enough for me not to care about the current market. I have the cash so no need to sell shares or dive into the tumbling pension pot. I know that sounds very much like an I'm alright Jack scenario but if I was still working and had doubt about my future short term income I think I would try to delay my order before jumping to cancel it. For anyone in that situation you have my sympathy. I know planning for the worst can often be a good plan but don't panic and jump too soon.

It depends on your own financial position and how long you plan to own the van for. If you are relying on day ti day earnings to meet finance payments you could end up in a forced sale position if work dried up then you could face a significant loss.

However, if you are buying outright, have plenty f savings to fall back on or have arelatively secure income then in the long run any short term drop in value is not going to make a significant impact. There is an argument that buying new already exposes you to short term depreciation compared with a pre owned Cali a couple of years old.

As @LoveBirds_1964 says you dont kow whats around the corner. You can use the time when its off the road to get it fully kitted out and set up and then when restrictions are relaxed you'll be good to go later in the year.

Hi

Is anyone else in a similar position or does anyone have any advice around this ☹

Hi, its times like this we woul appreciate a Crystal ball!

Firstly, work out (not publicly) what do you stand to lose if you cancel and what are the terms of your order?

What do you want when things get back to normal, whatever that might be. If that's not changed then there is no reason to cancel.

Thanks for all the advice, to be honest we have heard nothing from the dealer so have no idea what the state of play is at the moment. We had a build week of 14, but have no idea what that translates into after the factory shutdown.

Things are no clearer now than they were when I first posted so it’s still a difficult call...

We bought our new Cali Sep 19 after many years of talking about it, we had just about finished buying everything we think we will ever need then this happens. Hindsight is a great thing, who would have thought this would have happened. We have our fingers crossed things get back to as near normal as soon as possible

Collected our van May 2019, enjoyed Austria/Switzerland last year.
Was booked for Portugal at Easter and 5wks in Europe this summer.
Van now sorn'd and I suspect it will be for 6months (used as second car).
Cant really see us using it for holidays within the next 12 months, if I was you I would definatly cancel. Effectively you will have little use and take a massive hit on depreciation for the first yr.
In 12 months time when car plants hopefully return to some sort of normality there will be deals to be had.
How long it will be for families such as ours to have confidence to go away remains to be seen.
If anything we may change our van for a slightly larger Hymar Free 540 with built in shower/toilet.
The days of the kids running off to slightly dirty campsite facilities are over.

I certainly would not buy now. Prices are likely to tank as they did in 2008 and this is many times worse than then. Hold your money and buy later - you will be able to afford a better vehicle and probably have more choice. In the long term prices may harden (again as it did after 2008) but that is likely to be at least a few years away
How you knowing tomorrow you will waken? ( to buy then but not today )

" each day we are here, is 1 day less left "

lol... well we have had our califorinia for over a year now put about 16000 miles on it spent around 40 nights in it made tons of awesome memories with many more to come and prices still havent tanked and to be honest i couldnt care less if they did at this stage

Back