Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New camper purchase advice

K

Kev3kev3

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a VW van which will be used with 2 adults and 2 kids (currently 4 and 2). Hopefully to be used for days out as well as weekends/week here or there away camping. It will also be used as a second car for school runs.

I have had a brief look in the dealership at a California Ocean and also at a couple of VW conversions. At the moment I am swaying more to the conversions.

Wondering if anyone can offer advice as to whether I would be missing out on anything if I perhaps went for a conversion from somewhere like Revolution Campers over a new California from the dealership.

We have looked at the VW in the below link and are keen. Can anyone offer any advice on this specific VW and whether there is anything we should be looking out for? The conversion seems to be brand new but the dealership has taken it in as a part ex and doesn’t know who did the conversion.

Any help and advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

You’ll find plenty of previous discussion around the pros and cons of conversion versus California here in the forum. I’ve just gone though making that decision in favour of the California. Factors for me…

for California
  • Probably better residuals, especially as I might want to switch to a BEV camper when practical
  • overall build and design quality
  • VW warranty covers the whole vehicle, not just the base
  • aftersales support and service nearby
  • once I had specced any conversion to a similar standard and on a new vehicle it was a similar cost
for conversion
  • more choice in layout
  • options for Lithium Phosphate leisure batteries
  • flexible options for cooking e.g. diesel, induction rather than gas

I previously owned a newly converted T6 conversion that I £45K for last year, I had so many problems with it I returned it. Iv since done my homework & ordered a California. Once I got my head around all the benefits and options on a California it’s actually good value for a California. If you look at the asking prices for some basic spec pannel vans that are converted and asking £55K £60K for its madness. Everyone has different opinions but I feel like a California is the only way to go long term.

102bhp engine (Cali comes as 150bhp/205bhp), with added weight due to bodykit & large alloys etc

Would suggest taking it for a spin.

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a VW van which will be used with 2 adults and 2 kids (currently 4 and 2). Hopefully to be used for days out as well as weekends/week here or there away camping. It will also be used as a second car for school runs.

I have had a brief look in the dealership at a California Ocean and also at a couple of VW conversions. At the moment I am swaying more to the conversions.

Wondering if anyone can offer advice as to whether I would be missing out on anything if I perhaps went for a conversion from somewhere like Revolution Campers over a new California from the dealership.

We have looked at the VW in the below link and are keen. Can anyone offer any advice on this specific VW and whether there is anything we should be looking out for? The conversion seems to be brand new but the dealership has taken it in as a part ex and doesn’t know who did the conversion.

Thanks,
Kevin
Seems strange that the dealer didn’t want to know who did the conversion as it has a bearing on the value and bound to be one of the first questions a buyer would ask.
If it is a recent conversion then I would want to know the history of the base vehicle.
I don’t know but I would expect that your insurance company would want to know that a conversion was done to a standard.
There’s loads of posts debating the Cali vs Conversion question, worth a read.
Love my California but I would be hesitant to recommend one for anyone with young children (it’s bad enough with a heavy handed partner)!
The potential for doing damage (expensive damage) is high as the material and fittings do not respond well to abuse.

Seems strange that the dealer didn’t want to know who did the conversion as it has a bearing on the value and bound to be one of the first questions a buyer would ask.
If it is a recent conversion then I would want to know the history of the base vehicle.
I don’t know but I would expect that your insurance company would want to know that a conversion was done to a standard.
There’s loads of posts debating the Cali vs Conversion question, worth a read.
Love my California but I would be hesitant to recommend one for anyone with young children (it’s bad enough with a heavy handed partner)!
The potential for doing damage (expensive damage) is high as the material and fittings do not respond well to abuse.
there's plenty of families with young children with Oceans...
I don't see what very expensive damage they could do. What do you refer to? could they damage the blinds and tent upstairs ?

there's plenty of families with young children with Oceans...
I don't see what very expensive damage they could do. What do you refer to? could they damage the blinds and tent upstairs ?
Just an opinion!
The window blinds are an obvious one,
Armrests, if stood on getting up to bed.
Glass kitchen tops.
Picnic chairs,
In my opinion the scope for DIY repairs to the California furniture and fittings is limited, where as the ”chunkier” and less aesthetically appealing conversions do at least have generic hinges etc allowing easier repair.

Reactions: DMC
Just an opinion!
The window blinds are an obvious one,
Armrests, if stood on getting up to bed.
Glass kitchen tops.
Picnic chairs,
In my opinion the scope for DIY repairs to the California furniture and fittings is limited, where as the ”chunkier” and less aesthetically appealing conversions do at least have generic hinges etc allowing easier repair.
Ok… well picnic chairs they might break by themselves anyway..:D

regarding the other items, i could partially agree, but it would also come down to the Children…rearing.
a diy conversion may be easier and cheaper to repair that‘s for sure, but any other motorhome would be as fragile as a Cali i think

Ok… well picnic chairs they might break by themselves anyway..:D

regarding the other items, i could partially agree, but it would also come down to the Children…rearing.
a diy conversion may be easier and cheaper to repair that‘s for sure, but any other motorhome would be as fragile as a Cali i think
I should add I’m a bit OCD!!

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a VW van which will be used with 2 adults and 2 kids (currently 4 and 2).

Thanks,
Kevin
On that specific Van the obvious differences compared to even the most basic Vw California Ocean or SE are:
No diesel night heater mentioned
No heated seats
Cant see a mention of cab aircon
No heater in the rear let alone aircon
drivers seat doesn't swivel.
Double front seat awful to sit on
Double front seat looses walk through to rear
Rear bench doesn't slide - slider is good for moving kids closer whilst driving or if bigger boot is needed
102 engine & 5 speed box is best described as adequate rather than excellent
No outside table storage in the sliding door.
No chairs in the boot lid
No extra door seals - calis have additional set of seals on the front doors - makes a huge difference noise wise
No double glazing on other windows
Ad says 4 belts pictures show 5
Possibly no extra sound insulation in doors etc
No mention of dirty water storage.
Would expect top bed - if there is one, to be a sheet of board with a bit of foam on it. Cali is sprung slats.
No idea of leisure battery provision - Cali has 2
No Iso Fix mountings on rear bench
Slider is on the wrong side -open to debate, but as a driver its easy to control access through a drivers side slider as its next to you, if traffic is bad, on a cali, kids walk through & exit via passenger front door.
Its over 2m tall, cali should be under 2m

Thats a quick list off the top of my head, most of those are not obvious & if you've never had them you may not miss them, but it goes some way to demonstrate what more you may get from a cali.

Hi,

Thanks,
Kevin
My main concern on a conversion is whether it has been done correctly crash tested etc.
With a cali you know that all the seats and furniture is bolted down correctly and have a massive dealership to fall back on.
There are a few good conversion companies but be careful as there’s loads out there now.
I have a westfalia and wildcamper has a great van autohaus (I think) just do your research on the company.

Hi,

Thanks,
Kevin
Where to start, whilst it looks sporty compared to a factory built Cali it is lacking many features.
No A/C or heating for rear seat passengers, acres of stuck on carpet, no mention of a diesel parking heater, no outside table/chairs in dedicated/hidden storage, basic head lights/no fogs, weak engine/5 speed manual box, super low profile tyres, high fixed position rear seat (isofix?) results in hanging legs and limited head room or storage options behind. Van is over 2 m high, basic van dashboard etc, limited rear travel on none swivelling drivers seat, anyone's guess at its history before being converted, £44,690! best of luck getting a decent fraction of that back when you come to sell.
Try to see a California, hire one if possible for a few days, then go and see these conversions, my niece lost a lot of money on a similar conversion when she sold, the paint on the bumpers coming off was the final straw.

Hi,

Thanks,
Kevin
California's are excellent as are many good conversions. Watch out for bad conversions as they are easy to find. We went for a conversion, the California did not work for us. Beware of people saying that certain options are only available on Californias, rubbish - anything that is in a California can be put in a conversion. A good conversion will not save you much money but you will get what you want. For us, just 2, the California was too small so we went LWB. We wanted hot water plus external shower and toilet. Heating is via LPG on an underslung tank - no bottles in the van. Better insulation than a canvas top so went high top - not everyone's cup of tea. Extra sound proofing in doors and panels, did not want double glazing but was possible. Could have had heated seats, said no. On residuals we have been offered up to £10k more than we paid. Our spec was brand new 150 DSG LWB converted to our spec by Autohaus in Minehead, full VW warranty on vehicle plus 3 year conversion warranty. Only think to be wary of is poor conversions. For many a California works well, for us after trying two out we decided no.

You would also want to check the V5. It is registered as an N1 as it is based on transporter and would then be subject to the lower commercial van speed limits. If the V5 body type says motorhome all good but if van with windows then lower limits. Cali is usually M1 MPV or M1 motorhome depending on year and speed limits the same as a car.

Slider is on the wrong side -open to debate, but as a driver its easy to control access through a drivers side slider as its next to you, if traffic is bad, on a cali, kids walk through & exit via passenger front door.
Its over 2m tall, cali should be under 2m
The Slider on a Cali is on the wrong side for the UK, as allows greater profit for VW as avoids the need to adjust the vehicle too much for the UK market .
Ideally your passengers should have an exit that avoids stepping into live traffic or climbing over the front seat passenger; You could of course spin the van round facing the traffic but this would breach highway code rule 239+248.

You would also want to check the V5. It is registered as an N1 as it is based on transporter and would then be subject to the lower commercial van speed limits. If the V5 body type says motorhome all good but if van with windows then lower limits. Cali is usually M1 MPV or M1 motorhome depending on year and speed limits the same as a car.
True, so get your conversion registered as a Motorhome with M1 classification. Ours is. While our conversion is well over 2m it is easy to get a conversion under 2m.

The Slider on a Cali is on the wrong side for the UK, as allows greater profit for VW as avoids the need to adjust the vehicle too much for the UK market .
Ideally your passengers should have an exit that avoids stepping into live traffic or climbing over the front seat passenger; You could of course spin the van round facing the traffic but this would breach highway code rule 239+248.
Our passengers, normally young grandchildren just walk through the gap between the front seats to granny who is waiting for them on the pavement after vacating her seat. The sliding door is fitted with a child lock at all times the little devils are travelling in the fully airconditioned/isofixed rear seat area.
If traffic is bad the drivers goes the same door, absolutely no problem at all.

Our passengers, normally young grandchildren just walk through the gap between the front seats to granny who is waiting for them on the pavement after vacating her seat. The sliding door is fitted with a child lock at all times the little devils are travelling in the fully airconditioned/isofixed rear seat area.
If traffic is bad the drivers goes the same door, absolutely no problem at all.
And on the Continent, everything is as it should be.

it’s always difficult comparing conversions to factory built vehicles, the above offers some suggestions, In addition to @andyinluton observations, things to consider:

The conversion looks like a basic transporter spec.
Twin rear Doors (Barn doors) vs Tailgate on a Cali, tailgate is useful for preventing rain entering the vehicle & can be used as shelter from rain etc. (2x Seats stored in Cali tailgate )

Who (which company) converted the van makes a difference to insurance and provenance of the van and the ability to insure it easily Without filling out an awful lot of detail, detail that will be needed and will need to be 100% correct. The list of “Modifications“ to declare will be huge.

if the van was converted as a self build or a one man band, there will be no come back whatsoever.

Very Few conversions (if any) are crash tested in the fully made up vehicle format.

Similarly Rock and roll bed should have a Crash test Certificate for the number of seat belts / passengers (ad says it’s crash tested) but ask for the paperwork of the bed manufacturer so you can get a copy for insurance purposes. How is the bed attached to the chassis ? Is it compliant with the crash test cert and fitting instructions?

The conversion interior carpet lining is glued to the inside body shell which is then clad with thin plywood panels ( held on with visible poppers) to fill the panel voids vs California specific interior trim being hard wearing plastic wipe clean surfaces.

check out where the Jack and tool kit are stored in the conversion. On a van pre conversion they are attached to the near side rear wheel arch.

Multi function steering wheel is standard on a Cali.

rubber floor to front driver / passenger area vs carpet

Conversion: restricted rear view due to RR bed and barn doors & no rear view mirror Visible in Ad photos.

Manual Gear box vs DSG (102 engine may be under powered for the additional weight of the fully loaded camper conversion)

side sliding curtains permanently deployed restricting view vs fully retractable blinds on a Cali.

The conversion van looks nice.

remember DYOR, which you are obviously doing,
looking at some of the better converters will give you further info, have a look at Jerbra (Scotland) who are an approved VW converter with a good rep.

Contact a few insurers to get the heads up on what detail they will require to enable you to insure the van.

One idea to solve this problem would be to get the Beach, add the slider to both sides, and add a kitchen-pod

Just go for a well specced beach and buy a fridge and stove! All the quality of a California. Half the stuff to break. Lower purchase price. And you’ve got a van to move stuff or people about in. you do have to make your tea using a jet boil though. (sorry!). Joking aside. My cousin bought a conversion same time as us. 102 5 speed and they do complain about that engine. Other than that they like it. They wanted LWB. It is considerably bigger inside. But I wouldn’t swap. We hired a conversion. 102 5 speed that had been chipped to 150 and it felt nothing like our beach 150. Felt underpowered and the gear ratios felt wrong. Our 150DSG pulls really well and smooth. I’m sure the 199 is even better. That’s a big plus for us ours is our daily driver. Many conversions are based on 102 engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, so get your conversion registered as a Motorhome with M1 classification. Ours is. While our conversion is well over 2m it is easy to get a conversion under 2m.
This was really to highlight for the OP that van in the advert is registered as N1 on the V5. I don't know about body type but it is no longer possible to re-register a van as a motorhome unless it has a fixed roof etc. It would become a van with windows and that still doesn't allow M1 speed limits. It might have already been registered as a MH on bodytype but as we know the rules changed a couple of years ago.
It was just a heads up for the OP as another possible difference between Cali and conversions.

As you say @Wildcamper is you buy a brand new conversion on a brand new van from one of the approved VW convertors then it can be registered as a MH from first registration.

Just go for a well specced beach and buy a fridge and stove! All the quality of a California. Half the stuff to break. Lower purchase price. And you’ve got a van to move stuff or people about in. you do have to make your tea using a jet boil though. (sorry!). Joking aside. My cousin bought a conversion same time as us. 102 5 speed and they do complain about that engine. Other than that they like it. They wanted LWB. It is considerably bigger inside. But I wouldn’t swap. We hired a conversion. 102 5 speed that had been chipped to 150 and it felt nothing like our beach 150. Felt underpowered and the gear ratios felt wrong. Our 150DSG pulls really well and smooth. I’m sure the 199 is even better. That’s a big plus for us ours is our daily driver. Many conversions are based on 102 engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree re the 102 v 150 engine. Do not go below 150. We love our 150 DSG 2WD - very happy.

I have briefly scanned through the thread. Thank you all for all of the insightful comments. There is a lot to digest and much more to consider than I had imagined. Really helpful.

One idea to solve this problem would be to get the Beach, add the slider to both sides, and add a kitchen-pod
Edit: just realised the "Beach Tour" includes the 2 sliders already, result!

Back