Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New family member is finally here!

Graham T

Graham T

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
So, picked up our new Ascot Grey Coast, last Wednesday and put it (and us) through it's paces by taking 4 days to get home via, Snowdonia, North Wales coast, Peak District and North Norfolk. Initial thoughts.... 1) For anyone concerned, the 150bhp engine is totally, surprisingly fine and a joy to drive. 2) For anyone undecided, Ascot Grey (which I was talked into but never convinced) is lovely and totally different in the flesh (constant comments on it while we were away). 3) For anyone unsure, adaptive cruise control is the best invention EVER! 4) For anyone still feeling the pain, the agony and stress of a long delay-ridden wait does indeed disappear, the minute you drive away for the first time (no comfort to all the T6.1 Order Delay thread followers, I know). Only fault on the van is a steering wheel that's not dead centered (turned slightly right while going straight), which will drive me crazy until I get it sorted. We are totally in love and can't wait to hit the road again.
IMG_1512.jpegIMG_1518.jpegIMG_1520.jpeg

So, picked up our new Ascot Grey Coast, last Wednesday and put it (and us) through it's paces by taking 4 days to get home via, Snowdonia, North Wales coast, Peak District and North Norfolk. Initial thoughts.... 1) For anyone concerned, the 150bhp engine is totally, surprisingly fine and a joy to drive. 2) For anyone undecided, Ascot Grey (which I was talked into but never convinced) is lovely and totally different in the flesh (constant comments on it while we were away). 3) For anyone unsure, adaptive cruise control is the best invention EVER! 4) For anyone still feeling the pain, the agony and stress of a long delay-ridden wait does indeed disappear, the minute you drive away for the first time (no comfort to all the T6.1 Order Delay thread followers, I know). Only fault on the van is a steering wheel that's not dead centered (turned slightly right while going straight), which will drive me crazy until I get it sorted. We are totally in love and can't wait to hit the road again.
View attachment 81422View attachment 81423View attachment 81424
Congratulations! Enjoy the adventures ...

Very smart colour. I have seen a couple of vans in this colour and they look great.

Off centre steering wheel - I have exactly the same issue on my 6.1. Took the van for it's first service recently and was told they can only adjust the steering wheel, under warranty, during the first 600 miles. Otherwise I was told it will be circa £100 which I am ok to pay as I have now done nearly 7,500 miles.

Anyway, enjoy that lovely van.

Very nice

Very smart colour. I have seen a couple of vans in this colour and they look great.

Off centre steering wheel - I have exactly the same issue on my 6.1. Took the van for it's first service recently and was told they can only adjust the steering wheel, under warranty, during the first 600 miles. Otherwise I was told it will be circa £100 which I am ok to pay as I have now done nearly 7,500 miles.

Dammit! We did 600 miles before we even got home! :mad:

Still worth a call to the dealer. Good luck.
You're right, it was, thanks. Just called my local dealer (not where we bought from) and it's booked in for 4 August to be sorted (and under warranty!). I'd challenge your dealer maybe?

Congratulations, that's a really nice looking van. Love the colour. Goed well with the black. Nice! Hope you have great times with it!

I thought the warranty was for 3 years...

Looks FANTASTIC. Enjoy!

I thought the warranty was for 3 years...
Rattles, squeaks, trim issues etc are warranty under 600 miles, I’m sure there would be some leeway as in Graham T’s case, due to the extreme newness

edit and the circumstances

Looking the business @Graham T . Great pics. Enjoy it sir.

Congrats on the new arrival! We picked ours up on Monday and had a 3 hour drive home so it was a great opportunity to test out as much as I could. Interestingly, just like you, I noticed that the steering wheel is slightly off centre to the right. Have you gone to the dealer yet to see if it can be sorted? I might do the same as it’s slightly annoying! Maybe the calibrator was off when ours were both in the factory!! Ha ha

Congrats on the new arrival! We picked ours up on Monday and had a 3 hour drive home so it was a great opportunity to test out as much as I could. Interestingly, just like you, I noticed that the steering wheel is slightly off centre to the right. Have you gone to the dealer yet to see if it can be sorted? I might do the same as it’s slightly annoying! Maybe the calibrator was off when ours were both in the factory!! Ha ha
If it bothers you (it would me) call the dealer and report it so it is logged with them to be rectified when you next take the van in

If the wheel is just slightly off that is presumably just the tracking - any tyre place would be able to sort that for very few pounds. My son had it recently when his Golf got new tyres - the adjusted the tracking but lined the front wheels up slightly out, so had to go back next day for them to sort it.

You might be right. Still buzzing and love the Cali but it's amazing how quickly a slight annoyance can turn into a real bugbear. Booked in for 4 August but it would be interesting to hear if anyone else has this "feature".

If the wheel is just slightly off that is presumably just the tracking - any tyre place would be able to sort that for very few pounds. My son had it recently when his Golf got new tyres - the adjusted the tracking but lined the front wheels up slightly out, so had to go back next day for them to sort it.
Yes, hopefully a nice, simple tracking issue but with just 600 miles on the clock, VW can sort it and it'll be in the right place if it needs more (airbag disabled and wheel aligned or whatever). Watch this space.

Oo! I forgot to mention, for anyone interested, we averaged 42.5mpg on that first trip.

Put your foot down man ;)
Haha! Funny you should mention that. Hit the motorway, half an hour after collection and within a mile or two.... Bing bing.... "Sudden tyre pressure loss warning - Left rear!".. bing... bing... PANIC!

Sharp turn off at the next exit and into the services expecting the worst but all tyres seem fine and equal. While waiting to give it another go with a double-check, decided to browse the user manual (there's a first) and discovered a warning to keep speeds low on new tyres for the first 600 miles, because of heat build-up causing possible false pressure loss warnings.

All was well, thank God and it keep my right foot a lot lighter for the rest of the trip (600 miles funnily enough).

Probably worth mentioning that all four tyres were actually way over inflated, so for anyone who thinks their new Cali is a bit crashy, start there first. Made quite a difference with the right pressures.

Congratulations! Enjoy the adventures ...
Welcome to the club, we experienced the delay last year we ordered in January took delivery late July.
I like the colour looks good. Ours is candy white, we’ve only really started using ours this year so spent many an afternoon using the van as the mobile classroom for the kids home schooling in lockdown and the occasional staycation on the drive. Like you we are enjoying our van and learning as we go, we’ve had a few niggles that VW sorted with a little leaning on and firm words
So hopefully you enjoy your van and make some happy memories.
If you do have queries not all of us on here are massively technically capable abs can give some simple practical advice from experience, when you do need that high end tech advice plenty of that available too

Back