Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ford Transit

CaliforniaPhil

CaliforniaPhil

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I have just been out in a new Ford Transit custom. My cousin said its just been released, he has had it on order for about 6 months.

Is this the one VW are going to badge?

Think he said its around 140bhp, it seemed nippy enought but it was empty, so probably below 2 tonne. It's max weight is around 2800kg. The ride is so much better than my Cali on 18" rims, its more like a car. The Ford has the optional 17" rims with 215 tyres. My cali suspension rattles through the van when going over our lovely uk roads. He said its a lot better than his 2 year old transit he is replacing.

The wheels on it have 6 stud now! I was wondering if I went down to 17" rims with bigger side walls, how much would it improve my ride.

Last edited:
I have just been out in a new Ford Transit custom. My cousin said its just been released, he has had it on order for about 6 months.

Think he said its around 140bhp, it seemed nippy enought but it was empty, so probably below 2 tonne. It's max weight is around 2800kg. The ride is so much better than my Cali on 18" rims, its more like a car. The Ford has the optional 17" rims with 215 tyres. My cali suspension rattles through the van when going over our lovely uk roads. He said its a lot better than his 2 year old transit he is replacing.

The wheels on it have 6 stud now! I was wondering if I went down to 17" rims with bigger side walls, how much would it improve my ride.
Significantly.

Does that new Transit still have a fixed rear axle, or is it separate?
Also, 600kg of California makes a lot of difference in driving experience.
And the bigger the rims, the less bounce you have in your tyres.
If I put 2,8 bar pressure on my 16" wheels, the ride is immensely smooth, but the tyre wear will be significantly worse. So I put them to 3.5 bar, and deal with a harsher ride.

If I put 2,8 bar pressure on my 16" wheels, the ride is immensely smooth, but the tyre wear will be significantly worse. So I put them to 3.5 bar, and deal with a harsher ride.
I'll get under it next week and see if it's a fixed rear axle.

I though there were posts on here saying the Cali is less noisy when loaded.

My parmestons (don't know how you spell it, I hope I'm close) look great, a pain to clean though. If I swap them, it's an expensive exercise if it doesn't make much difference. I'll keep an eye out for californias in the area and see if I can get a ride to compare.

I'll have a look at pressure as well.

Edit, tyre pressures between loaded and unloaded are not that different at about 2 psi. So I can't see that changing much. Interesting to see the narrower 17" tyre pressure is around 10 psi more. You'd think what you gain in side wall bouncyness would be reduced by the higher pressure.
I take it your 16" should be around 50psi.

20240615_194424.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Significantly.
Would that be 17" with the 215 or 235's. As I said the 215 run at 10psi higher than the 235.

I'll keep a look out for some 7J 17"

Last edited:
Old one has the fixed rear, new one is like the T6.1

20240617_112307.jpg

20240617_112333.jpg

The Ford - VW van is the T7 but VW using the Multivan for California replacement.

The Ford - VW van is the T7 but VW using the Multivan for California replacement.
It will be interesting to see what the converters do with it, always an option if you want to keep below 5m. The cabin looks really good. Its auto and the gear selector is on the side of the steering column, so great for 3 up front (builders van). my nephew went with the bigger media display. It's got all the toys you want, adaptive cruise etc. He even spect it with and inverter to charge his tools.

I'll get under it next week and see if it's a fixed rear axle.

I though there were posts on here saying the Cali is less noisy when loaded.

My parmestons (don't know how you spell it, I hope I'm close) look great, a pain to clean though. If I swap them, it's an expensive exercise if it doesn't make much difference. I'll keep an eye out for californias in the area and see if I can get a ride to compare.

I'll have a look at pressure as well.

Edit, tyre pressures between loaded and unloaded are not that different at about 2 psi. So I can't see that changing much. Interesting to see the narrower 17" tyre pressure is around 10 psi more. You'd think what you gain in side wall bouncyness would be reduced by the higher pressure.
I take it your 16" should be around 50psi.

View attachment 124813

Thanks
I put mine on 3,5 bar, so around 50 psi. This is what my sticker says.
For MOT I put them on 2.8bar, for the suspension test. When I then drive around, it's much more comfortable, but as I said, worse for tyre wear.
And as I drive on cargo tyres, they are much harder already than car tyres.