Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

new fridge has killed beach lesiure circuit: help!

Padders13

Padders13

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi Folks
Got a new Waeco CF 26, went to plug it in before the weekend away. Firstly it was a a funny plug which didn't quite fit the 12v socket on our maxcamp kitchen unit, it kept springing out. Anyhow , held it in, saw the fridge light up and then everything leisure side goes dead. Trip in the boot looks fine but all sockets dead even on the engine running. Currently checking under seat fuses which are a B******d to get to. Any ideas anyone...be great if it was fixed before the missus comes back.;)

Trip (RCD) unit in the back is 240v, nothing to do with the 12v circuit.

Do you have a multimeter? If not then check handbook for fuses and work back from there.

Expect you have shorted out the 12v when fiddling the ill fitting plug in the socket so likely just the fuse.

How does the Maxcamp unit feed into the 12v?

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. just back in from fiddling. OK, the maxcamp has an integrated 12 supply and meter which supplied from the 12v socket next to the 240v socket behind the passenger seat. The maxcamp meter is now dead and and so it the big light above the sliding window and the light on the rear nearside pillar. The other lights, like the ones above the sliding door are working. Just tried plugging my 240v main in from the house, also nothing works.

Agree i probably shorted the `12V, but which fuse? I have tried going through the ones under the seat associated with the sockets but to no avail, and as a lot of stuff seems dead, I am getting worried; hoped I just find a 15 v fuse. Any more ideas? I have a multi meter somewhere, being a chemist rather than a sparky not sure how I'd use it?

Unfortunately the list of fuses is not in the manual anymore, at least not on my beach. There was a document with a lot of fuses in the VIP section, but it doesn't match my (continental European) T5 beach at all so to me it was worthless. I ended up checking every single one of them - taking it out, putting it back in. It's probably a 10 or 15AMP fuse, so check those first... It can be under the seat and also in the compartment under the middle console..

When you say nothing works you still mean the 12v circuit? 240v is only connected insomuch as it powers the onboard charger to charge the 12v leisure battery. Your 240v socket should be fine.

Check the handbook for location of the camper side leisure battery fuses. Don't panic nothing else is wrong, the working lights run off the vehicle side 12v battery.

Also be aware if the Maxcamp just plugs into a 12v cig socket and you then plug in a power hungry fridge into the Maxcamp 12v cig socket you may well run into voltage drop issues that others incl myself have experienced especially as you are introducing voltage losing extra connections. See link below.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...-hard-wiring-fridge-to-leisure-battery.17642/

Last edited:
Good news guys, you were right, the multimeter found the little f****r right away. Swapped it for another as a test now all is well if I can get a new fuse tomorrow....just need to figure out a way to plug this dammed fridge in. The prong on the plug doesn't retract far enough against the fuse spring so it wont stay in the socket.
Thanks so much guys you set me in the right direction.

just read the later posts thanks for all the advice re multiple connections as well. Yes, need to find a new home for the fridge methinks, one of the other sockets perhaps? On the other hand, we ran a power guzzling coolbox for the last two trips via the maxcamp without any issue, and the Waeco was supposed to be an upgrade!

Sounds like an issue with it perhaps being a Hella socket which is slightly different in sizing. Easy to swap if needed, check Amazon and that topic linked for rewiring.

Check your fridge plug is assembled correctly inside too. Again see the link in post #5 on hardwiring a 12v fridge.

Can you post some pics of the Maxcamp?

I also have a Waeco and cable length matters. I have to plug it in directly, the B-pillar is the nearest spot, and this means that my kitchen unit (ikea alex) has to get power elsewhere. There is another socket near the sliding door, I use this with an extension cable, but it's not nice to have a cable on the floor. So I am thinking of adding another 12v socket with it's own fuse, directly from the leisure battery under the seat. Or else I might try one of these first https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NRVR7A/?tag=eliteelect-21
They do 10amp, which should be okay and the extra voltage drop should be minimal. Need the angle at 90degrees due to lack of space though.

Out of curiosity, which Maxxcamp unit do you have?

Its the Max. Highly recommended, we love it. Xmas present for the van.

Also it is indeed a hella plug which I never even knew existed. One lives and learns...need to get an adaptor or new plug tomorrow All my plugs are moulded ones...

been trying 10 minutes to upload a photo, but it just wont do it...not had me tea yet either...I'll try and send a pic later

maxxcamp.JPG

ahhh, here it is....not the cheapest but I think I have amply demonstrated my (lack of ) practical skills already, so this was a good solution for us.

Blackberry T5 beach headed toward Biggar campsite (Scottish one) and dog show in same town tomorrow evening

If you're keeping the fridge in there all the time just hardwire it behind the unit directly (see link again! ;) ). You can just unplug it at the fridge socket. The fridge 12v cig plug is not molded it has screws so you can open it to change the fuse.

Not counting the battery charger input then?

What I meant was the 240v RCD will not trip due to a 12v fuse blowing. Of course the 240v is connected as such to the charger as I posted above in post #5.

Why:headbangdo:headbangpeople:headbangbuy:headbangBeaches:headbangand:headbangbugger:headbangabout:headbangtrying:headbangto:headbangmake:headbangthem:headbanginto:headbangcamper:headbangvans:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Just my opinion:)

Quick update on the subject of the OP , not the rant which hijacked it (why do folk do that?)
Anyway pleased to report after now two WE away that all works fine and thanks again for all the advice. Now travelling with a multimeter and a bunch of spare fuses. Fridge so far works just fine and we love the voltage sensing feature so we have it on the 12v and 240v plugs therefore no changover fiddle when we hook up. Just done a night and long stationary day in the sun with no hookup and was delighted with the unit; very quiet and very cool. Our old peltier cooled unit would have kept us up all night with its noise and then flattened the battery .

Risking my head above the parapet again, the Max kitchen unit is great, superb build quality and lots of great features. Thinking of the Moritz cupboard unit for next year, maybe.

I also think Maxxcamp compact is the best unit on the market for the 2-seat bench beach. For the 3 seat bench, it has to be rotated 90 degrees to make up the bed every day. I wonder how complex that is. Is it easy to adjust the floor fixings? Suppose you have to do this twice a day (before going to bed and after waking up).. what do you think?
I never stopped thinking about the Maxxcamp unit, because when camping in winter, having a side unit where you can cook is worth a lot.
The alternative could be to replace the 3seats-bench with a smaller one (still with 3 seats) like Reimo has, but I'm afraid they (the children) will be too close together to be comfortable when driving.

Hi, actually ours is the Max designed for the 2 seat beach and replacing the storage cupboard. There are other modules which can move around, but not sure if these are more for the 3 seat? The Maxxcamp folks have a new smaller module, 'Willy' (great name!) which leaves the storage box intact, but better use of the storage box space was one of our criteria and so we went for the Max. After 11 nights already this year, plus picnics, dog shows and so on, we can really vouch for it...parking to kettle on in seconds. Downstairs sleeping seems not at all compromised plus we still have a big empty van if we need it; we moved house already once with this van.

We are debating the Fritz cupboard module as our needs evolve; anyone seen one or used one?

Cheers
Ian

Back