Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New gas level monitoring device

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have been approached by a company in Germany about a brand new device for measuring the level of your gas bottle without physically opening the locker or seeing the gas bottle.

The device fits to the CampingGaz 907 gas bottle and will show much gas you have left in either percentage, KG, or lb. The device will also alarm if there is a gas leak.

The device works via Bluetooth and an App on either an Android or iOS device

We have been assured this will work on the California

More details to follow ....

App_HomePage.jpg

Looks interesting, if the price is right.
It will save me the trouble of taking the canister out and weighing it. :)

There is not much on pricing yet but it looks like it could be around £40-£60

Must work on Temperature difference around the gas/liquid level. I presume battery powered which would have a limited life if sending out a bluetooth signal continuously, so presumably switched power supply so then we have the problem of gas & electricity in the same compartment.

I think I'll just carry my 904 spare.

It works on weight, I am still trying to find out battery life, I do know it charges via micro USB. though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Snowy,

Can you explain the "Weighing method" - I have no idea how much gas I have in my canister.

Cheers
Mark

The tare weight is stamped on the bottom side., you just need to weigh the cylinder and deduct that figure to give the true weight of what is left

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Snowy,

Can you explain the "Weighing method" - I have no idea how much gas I have in my canister.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark
The gas canister is marked with the net weight 2.72kg, that is the weight of the empty canister, so any weight above this is the weight of the gas inside. I weigh ours every so often to gauge the usage and whats left inside. You start with about 5.1kg of gas. I do get out and have other interests ;)

That is really helpful guys. I've had the canister for about a year, we're about to go away for a bit and I'm not sure I can face Mrs Holliers if she doesn't get a cup of tea in the morning due to an empty tank.

Thanks again
Mark

We have been approached by a company in Germany about a brand new device for measuring the level of your gas bottle without physically opening the locker or seeing the gas bottle.

The device fits to the CampingGaz 907 gas bottle and will show much gas you have left in either percentage, KG, or lb. The device will also alarm if there is a gas leak.

The device works via Bluetooth and an App on either an Android or iOS device

We have been assured this will work on the California

More details to follow ....

View attachment 7950
I love gadgets, so looking forward to hearing more about this!

Looks interesting, if the price is right.
It will save me the trouble of taking the canister out and weighing it. :)
I placed a loose tied cable tie around the valve so I can weigh it without taking it out (with one of those little gadgets for weighing aircraft luggage).

I placed a loose tied cable tie around the valve so I can weigh it without taking it out (with one of those little gadgets for weighing aircraft luggage).

Neat idea. Gets my "Top tip of the week" award. :thumb

Great idea, will do the same when we get the next full one.

Very good but I have one better.

Girl over the road is check in staff for Ryan air.

If she lifts the bottle up and says it's just on the limit for cabin baggage" then you know the bottle is empty :shocked

There is a thing that you stick on the side of the bottle that tells how full it is... seen it in a campershop but can't remember where...if i get to it i'll post it

Hmm, could be that thing WelshGas posted was the one i had seen ...
Anyway , won't be buying it , just lift the botlle an weight it!

Seems it would be as much hassle to remove the bottle to weigh it as it would to remove a device to charge it

This is probably a really daft question.

I don't have gas in my van so I'm not used to butane and propane, but I'm used to working with cylinders of air, oxygen and helium.

Why don't people use a pressure gauge to determine how much gas they have? In fact, why don't the regulators have one on the HP side? I'm guessing there must be a reason.

dan

I use a magnetic level indicator from just kampers. Works a treat and and was £6

Richard

"Gas cylinders" are just that - compressed air is just gas, therefore at steady temp, the pressure reflects the amount of gas left. This is not the case for the butane/propane cylinders in which the fuel is a liquid with gas in equilibrium above it, therefore the pressure only drops once all the liquid has gassed-off. Hope that makes sense.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I'll have to get my head around that. I didn't know it liquefied.

HI SimplyDubs. I think we might have spoken about this before? But yes, been out of the water for a few years now though, everything is out of test now :( Used to help run the gas side of the compressor shed at a local club. Spent a lot of time in the 40-55m range and my backgas of choice was...21/35 :)

Anyway, that's gone a bit off topic. I know there's a reason now, so I'm happy. I only know when my meths burners are empty when the flame goes out.

Propane and Butane are liquid at low temperature, Butane at -1c and propane -40c, and a gas/vapour at atmospheric pressure and normal temperature, i.e. above -1c for Butane and above -40c for propane.
The cylinders are therefore filled with liquid gas under pressure.
As gas/vapour is drawn off the pressure will remain constant in the cylinder until ALL the liquid has vaporised . Thus a Pressure gauge will be of NO benefit as it will remain constant until all the liquid has vaporised so will give no indication about how much gas /liquid is present until empty.
Butane tends to be used in Summer/warmer climates and Propane in Winter/colder climates.

Air/Oxygen/Helium do not liquify until very, very low temperatures. Helium less than -272c. They are normally stored as a pressurised gas, thus a pressure gauge will give an indication of the amount of gas in the cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Back