Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Goodrich Tyres please help me with size?

Bumble The Van

Bumble The Van

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I have my 4 motion ocean arriving soon and its coming with 18 inch terrasina wheels , please can someone help me with what size BF GOODRICH all terrain tyres i need , i get simply lost in tyre language , i just need to know what size fits the terrasina wheel if anyone has done the same , would also love a picture if anyone has thank you

Think you might struggle on 18’s. I’d say the best option is 225/65/17. Just buy some 17 inch steels for them.

when you say struggle , do you mean they dont do the size or do you mean its hard to get in that size ? many thanks for helping cheers

I do t know the width of the terrasina but you can get 18 bf Goodrich ko2 with no issues, I had 255/55/18 on my California with no issues

I do t know the width of the terrasina but you can get 18 bf Goodrich ko2 with no issues, I had 255/55/18 on my California with no issues
thank you will look into? you didnt ever take a photo of them did you ? :)

when you say struggle , do you mean they dont do the size or do you mean its hard to get in that size ? many thanks for helping cheers

Looks like Jdorling has your answer! I always feel AT’s with lower profiles are a bit of a contradiction but I’m sure they‘ll give you what you need.

Looks like Jdorling has your answer! I always feel AT’s with lower profiles are a bit of a contradiction but I’m sure they‘ll give you what you need.
elmo can i ask please why you say this im desperate to learn, why is a contradiction please , all advice gratefully accepted!

elmo can i ask please why you say this im desperate to learn, why is a contradiction please , all advice gratefully accepted!
Either you're going for a more capable vehicle off road higher (with greater ground clearance, smaller wheels, and all terrain tyres), or you're going for street style (with lower suspension, bigger wheels, and street tyres)

Think of it like this, if you get stuck in the mud, your tyres will be great but the rest of the van won't because it's so low

Either you're going for a more capable vehicle off road higher (with greater ground clearance, smaller wheels, and all terrain tyres), or you're going for street style (with lower suspension, bigger wheels, and street tyres)

Think of it like this, if you get stuck in the mud, your tyres will be great but the rest of the van won't because it's so low
got you , well im not lowering at all , the purpose is to go gently off road down the odd green lane etc being mindful of ground clearance (i am lucky to own the new defender which i can use if its that bad lol) but main purpose is use for me doing wildlife photography so the odd grassy field etc nothing too dramatic but having the confidence i can go somewhere where the normal road tyres may struggle a bit , but at same time will be doing trips to france and although i know i lose mpg but i cant have spare wheel cos of my 18 inch wheels so i thought the great tread may help with avoiding punctures too?

AT’s are designed for rough conditions, unmade tracks etc. A lower profile tyre gives less sidewall protection and therefore compromises their abilities. Of course, if it just goes up and down the motorway, that’s not a problem but you’d probably be better off with something else.

AT’s are designed for rough conditions, unmade tracks etc. A lower profile tyre gives less sidewall protection and therefore compromises their abilities. Of course, if it just goes up and down the motorway, that’s not a problem but you’d probably be better off with something else.
Well I’m not sure I’d call 255/55/18 low profile, these things are far better than the low profile tyres I had on before and offer a lot of side wall protection

got you , well im not lowering at all , the purpose is to go gently off road down the odd green lane etc being mindful of ground clearance (i am lucky to own the new defender which i can use if its that bad lol) but main purpose is use for me doing wildlife photography so the odd grassy field etc nothing too dramatic but having the confidence i can go somewhere where the normal road tyres may struggle a bit , but at same time will be doing trips to france and although i know i lose mpg but i cant have spare wheel cos of my 18 inch wheels so i thought the great tread may help with avoiding punctures too?
Right right, and cool, new defender plus Cali! #dreamGarage !

I don't know if the all terrains will be more puncture proof, I expect so (will have a Google around). I'd think though it's a risk just worth accepting, as in, you have the tyre repair kit for your 18s, and if a full blow out call the roadside recover. But don't roll around on "mostly" the wrong tyres just for puncture-proofing.

Right right, and cool, new defender plus Cali! #dreamGarage !

I don't know if the all terrains will be more puncture proof, I expect so (will have a Google around). I'd think though it's a risk just worth accepting, as in, you have the tyre repair kit for your 18s, and if a full blow out call the roadside recover. But don't roll around on "mostly" the wrong tyres just for puncture-proofing.
Just to add, I am looking at all terrains too, but then here we need a second set of winter tyres anyway so it's summers for the April to October, then winters or all terrains from October to March.

Btw all terrains are often snow rated, maybe not THE best in class, but damn good.

Well I’m not sure I’d call 255/55/18 low profile, these things are far better than the low profile tyres I had on before and offer a lot of side wall protection

55 is low for AT’s, I’d want 65 minimum but would be too big on 18’s (perfect on 17’s). Yours look great and no doubt are more than enough for the vast majority. You need them when you look at the state of the roads!

I've trial fitted an 18"x7.5" rim with a 235/55/18 All Season tyre as a spare with no problem.
A VW Amorak Durban rim.

Didn't have a deep enough dish to fit over my air compressor so couldn't use it.

Available if interested.

With the risk I’m doing it wrong (new to the forum and my first interaction). I don’t seem to find a clear answer on 17” Goodrich on California Ocean (4Motion), which I will get soon.
I’ve ordered with 17” rims.
- will 225/65/R17 fit without any adjustments (like raisers etc)?
- any (legal) adjustment needed, like speedometer alignment?

Thanks a lot and apologies if the answer is already somewhere on the forum. I couldn’t find anything at least.

Hi
I have 225/65/17on my joker they fit fine, if you want to carry a spare you will have to let around 10pm I out for it to fit in the cradle under the van.
Fuel drops around 5mpg.

I’ve gone for Michelin latitude cross 235/55/17 for my new van, still chunky off road treads. Correct size for speedo and fuel rating is C not F like the BFGs.
That’s the Michelin up against bfgs
I will review the latitudes once I get them fitted to new van.
9BC304EB-9116-40C9-BCAA-CF9BB0F785C9.jpegThat’s BFGs 225/65/170D90F99B-7A0A-4781-B16C-1B69139EB8D2.jpegDA641C24-7D9D-4250-A3F3-4E177DDEBA31.jpeg

Hi
I have 225/65/17on my joker they fit fine, if you want to carry a spare you will have to let around 10pm I out for it to fit in the cradle under the van.
Fuel drops around 5mpg.

I’ve gone for Michelin latitude cross 235/55/17 for my new van, still chunky off road treads. Correct size for speedo and fuel rating is C not F like the BFGs.
View attachment 88441That’s BFGs 225/65/17View attachment 88443View attachment 88442
They look interesting.
Hit any motorways and driven at speed yet…?
Just wondering about road noise off those?

Hi
Fuel drops around 5mpg.

View attachment 88441That’s BFGs 225/65/17View attachment 88443View attachment 88442
Hi 4x4 joker,does the joker have the same suspension as the California ie same ride height?

They look interesting.
Hit any motorways and driven at speed yet…?
Just wondering about road noise off those?
The reviews I found online were pretty good.
Noise 71db should be a bit quieter than the BFGs.
I don’t find BFGs that noisy, having a hightop van it makes a lot more noise on motorway than a cali.

Once I get new van I’ll post a little review on what I think of them, they look pretty tough.670D5A07-4876-48B9-910C-99EC7C137BE4.png

Hi 4x4 joker,does the joker have the same suspension as the California ie same ride height?
I don’t know, but loads of cali owners have/had them.
Abusandbeyond had then fitted with no issues 225, and I think California4x4 has 245/65/17.

Joker has the saggy bum so maybe it does:upsidedown

With the risk I’m doing it wrong (new to the forum and my first interaction). I don’t seem to find a clear answer on 17” Goodrich on California Ocean (4Motion), which I will get soon.
I’ve ordered with 17” rims.
- will 225/65/R17 fit without any adjustments (like raisers etc)?
- any (legal) adjustment needed, like speedometer alignment?

Thanks a lot and apologies if the answer is already somewhere on the forum. I couldn’t find anything at least.
Allowing for normal speedo underreading (by about 2MPH) you can assume that indicated 70MPH will be 71MPH road actual speed. you will gain about 3MPH over original tyre size.
Just need to be more careful with speed camera zones.

Back