Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Heating System For 1994 Westfalia T4

Pensky

Pensky

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all,

My 1994 T4 doesn’t have the original heating system (in the living/sleeping area), there’s just a couple of holes where it once was, I’m guessing removed by a previous owner.

What heating system do you folks recommend to install, and can anyone recommend an installer?

I’m based in Brighton and the van is in storage in Suffolk, so ideally looking for someone to install somewhere in the south or east of the country.

And I’m also wondering what sort of cost I should budget for, system and installation?

Thanks in advance.

Apologies to drag this thread back to life, but I'm still wondering if anyone can recommend a replacement heating system to fit into the holes left in my van?

The picture attached is not mine, but it illustrates where I think the heating system was in my van, but where there's just gaps now.

Perhaps I can't get a like-for-like replacement anymore and need an alternative?

Any advice gratefully received and thanks in advance.

westy heating.jpg

would depend on budget, I would think the original system would likely be Eberspacher, or alternatively we Asti, both are quiet expensive, have a look at Butlertechnik website

I am by no means an expert, but used to own a T4 Westfalia California 1994. A red one, like you ;-)

If I am not mistaken, the 2 units as shown in your photo are for 2 different devices. The one in the left is used to control the heater that you use when you are camping and want to heat the camper. (luftstandheizung in German) It runs on diesel and is a hot-air heater. It will most probably be a Eberspacher D2L in a 1994 model. Later they used Eberspacher D3L if I am not mistaken.

Also check the Autotherm, they"re cheaper than the Eber/Weba ones.

Is there anything left of the heating system? Under the car or cabling or whatever? If everything is removed, I would look for a full set from a breakdown and possibly overhaul and then assemble. I have no idea who could do it for you in the UK but in the Netherlands there are some who can do it for you (you can make a trip out of it): https://www.poptop.nl/ and https://www.joshschippers.nl/service-en-onderhoud/
That or what they recommend above.
Greetings

The type of heater fitted to your 1994 Westfalia should have been the Eberspacher D2L which was fitted in a large flat box under the left side of the van. This older version of the Eberspacher heater is not easy to find nowadays but you may be able to replace it with a modern version with modern controls. A modern D2Airtronic is expensive but very effective.

I have just loaded the Supplementary heating section of the dealer maintenance and repair manual into the Resources - Technical Guides section of the forum for you. It may help in replacing the missing items.

The guide is awaiting approval by a moderator but someone will be along soon to do just that.

If it was me I’d put some blanking plates over the original holes and have a new Autoterm fitted.

Back