T5 SE 140
Hi I am buying a California this week and will rent it out
I realise I need
public liability insurance
Self drive insurance
Breakdown cover
How will I pay tax etc on any profit ?
How can I take a deposit via a credit card as in a pre approval
What documentation will I need to ask for when the customers want to rent it or will the insurance company stipulate this ?
Any other tips for a new start in scotland ?
How much for a website setup etc

As mentioned in another post, Alan Boswell needs to be your first port of call for insurance. Breakdown cover is included in your warranty and it can also be extended.

In regards to tax, I would speak to an accountant .

We use Handepay for our card processing.

As kev says, drop us an email as we may be able to help with your startup.

Last edited:
Do you also need to get gas & electrics checked & certified?

Every 12 months, this can be done by any certified caravan or motorhome dealer, costs about £40 I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See here:

http://www.camperhireforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

I've looked at this too but it seems every Tom, Dick and Harry is starting up a California hire company - it has to get saturated at this rate with consequent impact on bookings??

There is a great need for more Califonia's to hire out in many parts of the UK, there are plenty of companies out there offering conversions or old bays but California hire is still limited. We only have two vans but could easily of run five this year and still been fully booked.

We don't plan to grow it any more as it's just a bit of fun for us. We have one van going out for a honeymoon next week. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Martin, it's certainly an interesting proposition, especially when I see figures of £10k after costs per van. How realistic this is across the market I don't know.

However, we'd be in a position to do this with one or two new vans ourselves, I gather the consensus being to buy ex-demo at 6 months old or similar to lose the initial hit and to benefit from the EU wide breakdown/warranty and sell after one or two seasons with a relatively low further depreciation hit and repeat the process.

I already run a Ltd Company so familiar with all the tax implications etc but our issue may be a more practical one of unhappy neighbours with the coming and going and parking of customers own vehicles while they hire a Cali.

Dont forget people we have something in the pipeline if you are thinking about hiring out your cali or you already do send us an email for more info. hire@vwcaliforniaclub.com

Is this something alone the lines of a nationalised service whereby all those willing to hire out their own Cali join a national database/hub website (ie 'Cali-Hire-UK' or whatever) that matches up those would be hireees with the hirers most local to them and controls bookings etc for a commission?

This would seem a great way to go and save all the hassle and set-up costs for each small micro business with one or two vans and benefits the hireees who don't want to waste hire time travelling many miles to pick one up.

Well the easy bit is done. The van is bought
Now the hard work begins

Hi BrianC26,

Think about fitting a tracker so you can see where the cali is at any time on the tinternet. Make sure you can disable the cali remotely via the web and keep a spare key safe and to hand. Then should the worst happen you can disable the cali when parked up you can employ an agent to pick up the cali using spare key. This sytem often used as standard back up where high value vehicles are hired out.
Regards
Mike

Now that I have had the van a few days I now need to advertise it for hire. We're do you think is best ? Also what would you put in the van info pack

When we were toying with this idea we set up a website & listed the Cali on a few directories like Camper bug etc. they take commission but generated enquires pretty quickly, good until you have your own set up.

However the thing that immediately returned enquiries was Google AdWords, cost about £5 per day but generated many enquiries via the website. It's fairly easy to set up, if you do go down this route make sure you look at 'negative keywords' (google it) this can save a lot of money, essentially stops people searching for 'classic vw camper' etc. reaching your site (which costs you money). Let me know if you need a hand setting this up.

We didn't rent ours in the end for various reasons but we certainly had enough enquiries to know it would have worked.

Best of luck.

Hi everyone, well after a couple of months we have a website and Facebook page getting views etc.We have had enquiries but no bookings for next year. I am now worrying a bit we won't get bookings or do you think things will change say in February onwards. Thanks in advance

Hi everyone, well after a couple of months we have a website and Facebook page getting views etc.We have had enquiries but no bookings for next year. I am now worrying a bit we won't get bookings or do you think things will change say in February onwards. Thanks in advance

I wouldn't worry personally as long as you're getting the right traffic to your site, why would your hire company not get bookings when others do year after year.

Trying to find the best way to get our website further up the pages so people can find it easier

Back