Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New member on the verge of ownership

Michael1985

Michael1985

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,

My wife and I are from Scotland and we have stumbled upon this group while doing some research on the cali range with the I tention of making a purchase in the next few months or so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We are a family of four and we have travelled through Scotland a great deal but always staying in lodges and from our digs venturing out on day trips, each time we do however the idea of a campervan grows stronger.

Hi

We are a family of 4 from Scotland who are now after long consideration looking to purchase a Cali of some sorts. The issue is that regardless of the research effort it can be quite confusing all the different specs and versions etc.

Due to budget and our own personal needs we have been really interested in the Beach but even having eventually decided on that there seems to be different versions and spec etc and we are not sure if there is a big difference between each.

Welcome, if and when you find the right Cali for you don’t hesitate for to long as it will be gone.

Hi

I am basically looking for anyone with any advice,stories, tips etc. On the VW California Beach. We are looking to buy very soon and just wondered what peoples opinions and experiences are.

We do a fair bit of travelling around Scotland and normally stay in lodges and use them as a base to do day trips from but have always dreamed of having the option to drive somewhere and have the freedom not to have to find a hotel or worry too much about ferry times to the islands etc.

We are definitely outdoors lovers but I wouldn't say we are that fussed with having a stove etc. We would be happiest having an easy option for putting our heads down for the night before moving to the next place, this I think is what is attracting us to the Beach, as well as the smaller dent on the wallet of course.

Hello and welcome!!

Well if you are thinking of buying this is a great place to start.

The choice can be bewildering to start so for me, when I was looking, the first thing was "when? What time of year? Who with? Where"..... and determine whether ou want an ocean with the kitchen, fridge, etc or something less but possibly more versatile.

Best is if you just read the sections that interests you and ask away.

Hi thanks. We definitely dont want to hang about but also do t want to jump into the wrong thing for us so I'm sure we will get a lot from this community to help us along the way.

Hi and thank you. Yeah I think we are swaying towards the Beach as for us it is more about having the freedom to maybe travel to the islands for example and not have to worry too much about somewhere to put your head down. I would say we are more into the experience of moving from place to place and perhaps stopping into places for eating etc. Obviously planning out sites where possible for washing facilities etc.

Hi, welcome. You’ve come to the right place! There isn’t much folks on here don’t know about the Beach spec.

We might need a bit more information on how you plan to use the Beach.

Beaches with all the toys on are rare. Chances are you’ll have to watch the market and pounce when you find one.

You might find a nearly new or pre registered one at a dealer still if you’re quick. The beach will not be sold new in the UK any more.

Parking heater everyone seems to want. But can be retro fitted fairly easily for about £1200 or maybe a bit less.

For us with kids in the back we decided we wanted the 3 zone climate control. As without it there’s only Air con in the front. It’s great, but for many on here that’s not a deal breaker. Can not be retro fitted.

You’ll probably want a 3 seater version over the 2 seater bench with kids in the back. The 3 seat bench is more car like with seats. But again I’m sure there’s folks will say the 2 seat version has its benefits!

Parking sensors, privacy glass and awning are things to look out for. Not standard.

Also not standard. Automatic lights and wipers

The standard headlights are a bit rubbish I’m told, but you’ll struggle to find one with either the upgraded twin halogen H7s or the LED lights which are a pricey option. Lights are upgradable however later on.

Swivel seats. Make sure it has that I’d say. Not all do, depending on the front seats specified.

I’ll let others chip in now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got an Ocean but there are just the two of us.
From everything I’ve seen and read if I had a young family it would be a Beach.
I doubt that will stop my grown up kids nicking mine though.
Good luck.

Mike

A beach would be perfect by the sounds of it. And if you’re in Scotland you’ll probably want a parking heater.

They’re versatile and you get more space downstairs over the Ocean. For us with kids and the crap we bring with us a beach is perfect. We bought a fridge and we already had camping stoves etc. I generally cook out under the awning.

I also bought a Alpkit Brukit for tea. It’s very quick and efficient way of heating water.

I’ve found the grip from standard road tyres on mud shocking and a nose heavy van means I’ve had it stuck twice now. I’m looking to put some better tyres on. Just a thought for the Scottish weather. There’s no 4 motion option on a beach in the UK.

A beach would be perfect by the sounds of it. And if you’re in Scotland you’ll probably want a parking heater.

They’re versatile and you get more space downstairs over the Ocean. For us with kids and the crap we bring with us a beach is perfect. We bought a fridge and we already had camping stoves etc. I generally cook out under the awning.

I also bought a Alpkit Brukit for tea. It’s very quick and efficient way of heating water.

I’ve found the grip from standard road tyres on mud shocking and a nose heavy van means I’ve had it stuck twice now. I’m looking to put some better tyres on. Just a thought for the Scottish weather. There’s no 4 motion option on a beach in the UK.

Great thanks, that's the sort of insight I am after. By the looks of things we will have to move relatively quickly (the vechile no longer available as new, peoples attitude to going abroad changing etc.)

I’ve got an Ocean but there are just the two of us.
From everything I’ve seen and read if I had a young family it would be a Beach.
I doubt that will stop my grown up kids nicking mine though.
Good luck.

Mike

Great thanks. With our car we tend to change every few years but we are hoping to pick up a beach that is as new as possible and make an outright purchase with the view of it being a long term addition to the family.

Hi Michael,

From what you have posted a Beach will be ideal, the specification of A Beach is more varied than the Ocean.
Not one specification suits all, it depends greatly o. Budget and how you intend to use your Cali.
I’m sure you understand that the ocean has the fitted kitchen, wardrobes and fridge, the down stairs bed is purely a two person bed ( restricted width by the kitchen units / fridge)
As you have expressed on interest in the Beach I will offer some basic info: I would suggest a lot of reading on this wonderful forum to gain the information you seek.

The Beach is available in two formats : three seater and two seater, the two seater has a storage box alongside the two seat bench.
The three seat beach seat / bed Is higher than the two seat version, so storage configuration differs between the two Beach models.

The ocean has a comfort dash, the standard for a beach is an “ uncomfortable “ dash - do some searches on the forum,!
but basically the comfort dash has two glove boxes and some extra trim, which looks a bit less van and a bit more luxury car (the ocean has the comfortable dash as standard).

Regularly discussed on the Forum: and we’ll worth using the search facility
Comfort Dash vs Uncomfortable dash
Beach headlights H4’s / H7 / LED - my preference is LED but they cost a kings ransom. H7 is brighter than H4’s, LED are daylight vs dusk ! - use the search facility
Vw comfort matress VS after market mattress + upstairs bed
Storage solutions, pull out shelf, boxes
Four people 2 adults + 2 kids and various set ups
Awnings and tents
Equipment
Fridge / freezer
EHU

No one can tell you the perfect solution, you need to DYOR and apply it to your personal circumstances and how you intend to use the van.

I warn you once you have been bitten by the CALI bug you will not find a cure!

If you have any specific questions after extensively reasearch this fantastic forum, ask away and I’m sure you will receive a host of useful information from like minded people.
The important thing to keep in focus is how you will use the van vs Budget

Demand for Beach’s seems to be at an all time high, now VW have, in my opinion, mistakenly decided to cease the supply of Beaches to the U.K.

Reasearch is key, but don’t wait too long.

Use the used vehicle section on this forum to identify what is and is not potential good value.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing some photos of your Cali B and adventures

In particular look at Amarillo and Borris ( user names) for some really sensible balanced posts based on family and use of the beach ( try to ignore Amarillo’s politics and chicken posts ) amoungst other very very knowledgeable posters.

We were all in your position once, as my strap line says “ no question is a stupid question if you don’t know the answer “, ask away

Hi Michael,

From what you have posted a Beach will be ideal, the specification of A Beach is more varied than the Ocean.
Not one specification suits all, it depends greatly o. Budget and how you intend to use your Cali.
I’m sure you understand that the ocean has the fitted kitchen, wardrobes and fridge, the down stairs bed is purely a two person bed ( restricted width by the kitchen units / fridge)
As you have expressed on interest in the Beach I will offer some basic info: I would suggest a lot of reading on this wonderful forum to gain the information you seek.

The Beach is available in two formats : three seater and two seater, the two seater has a storage box alongside the two seat bench.
The three seat beach seat / bed Is higher than the two seat version, so storage configuration differs between the two Beach models.

The ocean has a comfort dash, the standard for a beach is an “ uncomfortable “ dash - do some searches on the forum,!
but basically the comfort dash has two glove boxes and some extra trim, which looks a bit less van and a bit more luxury car (the ocean has the comfortable dash as standard).

Regularly discussed on the Forum: and we’ll worth using the search facility
Comfort Dash vs Uncomfortable dash
Beach headlights H4’s / H7 / LED - my preference is LED but they cost a kings ransom. H7 is brighter than H4’s, LED are daylight vs dusk ! - use the search facility
Vw comfort matress VS after market mattress + upstairs bed
Storage solutions, pull out shelf, boxes
Four people 2 adults + 2 kids and various set ups
Awnings and tents
Equipment
Fridge / freezer
EHU

No one can tell you the perfect solution, you need to DYOR and apply it to your personal circumstances and how you intend to use the van.

I warn you once you have been bitten by the CALI bug you will not find a cure!

If you have any specific questions after extensively reasearch this fantastic forum, ask away and I’m sure you will receive a host of useful information from like minded people.
The important thing to keep in focus is how you will use the van vs Budget

Demand for Beach’s seems to be at an all time high, now VW have, in my opinion, mistakenly decided to cease the supply of Beaches to the U.K.

Reasearch is key, but don’t wait too long.

Use the used vehicle section on this forum to identify what is and is not potential good value.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing some photos of your Cali B and adventures

In particular look at Amarillo and Borris ( user names) for some really sensible balanced posts based on family and use of the beach ( try to ignore Amarillo’s politics and chicken posts ) amoungst other very very knowledgeable posters.

We were all in your position once, as my strap line says “ no question is a stupid question if you don’t know the answer “, ask away

Brilliant that give me plenty to look over. Thanks very much

Hi,

My wife and I are from Scotland and we have stumbled upon this group while doing some research on the cali range with the I tention of making a purchase in the next few months or so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We are a family of four and we have travelled through Scotland a great deal but always staying in lodges and from our digs venturing out on day trips, each time we do however the idea of a campervan grows stronger.
It looks like you’re heading towards a Beach, but I’ll add my thoughts anyway as may be helpful. With a family of four (two young kids) and also being based in Scotland, we rented both a Beach and Ocean before buying and decided the Ocean/ SE was a much more year-end camper for us - allowing you to cook inside on a wet day (I.e. typical Scottish day). You can do this in a Beach, but by the time you add kitchen pods etc, you might as well buy an Ocean in my opinion.

We also found the Ocean was much more practical to pack given the wardrobes and overhead storage cabinet at the back.

Just our experience and your experience may be different, particularly if kids are older. We now have a third on the way, so SE might be a bit more challenging and might need to switch to a bigger van.

You’ll also find it easier to get a decent spec SE/ Ocean than a Beach. Hope helpful

We are a family of four with a beach and love it. I use it as my car, for short overnight trips and for the odd week away.

We had a tent before so the beach is a step up for us. The parking heater is fantastic and makes winter trips pleasant.

We have found, with the kids (7 and 11) that touring and stoping where we feel like it just doesn’t work that well in practice. We have found we often need to have booked campsites in advance and we like the club sites as they have good facilities, level pitches and wi-fi!

When buying a beach you do need to budget for the extras - fridge, awning, bike rack, storage, cooker etc. it does mount up!

if you aren’t used to camping it might be worth hiring a van for a weekend - just to make sure it suits your family? Good luck with your decision, let us know what color you get!;)