Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New member - second hand spec questions

C

camper-x

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all,

I just signed up and thought I'd chance my arm with a few (hopefully) quick questions for one of you knowledgeable folks.

The wife and I are looking for our first California. Exciting times! Budget around 30K mark so a second hand machine and keen to find the right one or course. Last week I was despairing at the lack of availability. This week I found three so it's looking up for us. Maybe seasonal I guess. Can someone tick off which are options and which standard OEM equipment for the below and if pre / post face lift (would that be 2012?).
Or point me at a resource?
Or point out if you think I'm being unrealistic / not worth the trouble!

Van
Cruise control
Parking sensors
Nav
iPhone compatible stereo
Dash computer
Electricmemory mirrors
Electric memory seats
Heated seats
Electric windows
Electric rear doors
Wind out side awning
Xenon lights

Camper
Oven
Diesel heater
Rear seat sliding on rails for flexible loading
Tinted rear window
Auto / electric curtains / blinds
Are all fridges top loaders?

Thanks in advance for any responses....

Regards to all....

Hi, I think it fair to say the second hand market has such a range of VW 'Camper vans' that it is not easy to categorise in the way you might have hoped. So, we have recently (8 months ago) taken delivery of a VW California Beach as we wanted all the benefits of a California but without having to lug round a kitchen for 40+ weeks a year. Our T6 is a great piece of kit. The 'Beach' is relatively new version, meaning older T4 and T5 California's almost all have the kitchen in the van... and there are lots of campervan conversions out there that are very siliar in what they offer to the California. Hence the spec of the each vehicle will depend entirely on what add ons were ordered on the original T4, T5, California etc. Our van started at a base price of about £37k but with all the desireable add-ons, the price soon rose to north of £47k.

Pretty much ever ything you have listed below is an optional extra on a factory ordered VW California Beach. Some of it is included in the higher priced California Ocean. The 'must have' second hand market accessory is the Auxiliary Diesel heater - or so said our dealer. Imagine our disappointment (and his) when our van arrived without that feature having been build in due to a factory error!

With your budget you will have choices... between second hand factory made VW California, any number of Transporter vans that have been professionaln converted, or even buying at T5 or T6 panel vanel and having your own conversion done. Generally buying the newest, lowest mileage, FSH vehicle that you can is the best advice as it will always be a van that needs to pass an MOT each year!

Good luck and enjoy when you get it!
Cheers
Ian

Van
Cruise control
Parking sensors
Nav
iPhone compatible stereo
Dash computer
Electricmemory mirrors
Electric memory seats (not available on a Beach)
Heated seats
Electric windows
Electric rear doors
Wind out side awning
Xenon lights

Camper
Oven
Auxiliary Diesel heater
Rear seat sliding on rails for flexible loading
Tinted rear window
Auto / electric curtains / blinds
Are all fridges top loaders?

Thanks in advance for any responses....

Regards to all....[/QUOTE]

Hi and welcome.

If you search around there are copies of brochures available for most model years so that is probably your best bet to know what is standard/optional for each model year you may come across.

Are you looking at the SE/Ocean or the Beach? I assume the former based on your list.

The facelift T5.1 came out in (I think) late 2009/early 2010 so I would expect all 10 plates to be facelift. Looking at your list some of the items are not available on any Cali even as an option:
Oven
Electric curtains/blinds
Electric memory seats

Most of the rest is generally available but some would have been factory fit options. My pretty standard 2010 has
Heated seats
Cruise
Nav (easily retrofitted)
Parking sensors
Electric mirrors
Electric latch to the side door (full electric operation is/was an option)
Side awning
Diesel heater

All fridges in the Cali are top loaders - the camping part has not changed since its introduction on the T5 and is the same today on the T6 other than finishes.

All Calis have sliding seats and the SE's have the all important Diesel heater, an option with the Beach.

Good luck

Extras in 2010 would have been
Cruise
Sat navigation
Awning
Privacy glass
Bike rack
Climatronic a/c
You got very little for your money

I've not seen any / many facelifts (>2010) for £30k, the pre facelift ones came with the same kitchen, but there are some differences, dashboard, engine etc.

I would not touch a used Cali that did not have an oven!

Personally, the 'add ons' don't add much to the Cali experience.

I'd aim to find a good Cali, rather than worry about the options.

Most options can be added / retro-fitted (Sat Nav, DAB, Alloys, Muti Function Steering wheel)

The only option I really wanted was the Climatronic as this can't be retro-fitted but would have been ok without it too.

Go to the Downloads section, scroll down and you will find " California SE brochure 2010" amongst others. This will give you an idea of what was standard at that time as well as the extras and features of the Cali SE.

Thanks to all for these responses! Hoping for an SE around 2010/11 with cruise, parking sensors, diesel heater, awning, bike rack. Got the brochures now :) does the rear seat slide right out to leave a large loading area? Pondering whether it might fit a motorbike (or two). I can probably fashion a hob top oven for Sundays, bit like a fish smoker but bigger ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rear seat can be slid quite far forward to enlarge the boot area, or even removed entirely with a little work (its very heavy though). The multiflex board at the back can also be removed but this would remove the ability to use the lower bed..

Found one to view, low mileage 2011 SE. Can parking sensors and cruise be retro fitted folks? Are you all using Parrot for phone or is there a Nav/DAB/Phone aftermarket solution where no factory options were fitted? Thanks in advance for pandering to my queries!

Parking sensors and cruise can be retrofitted, yes. Plenty of aftermarket options on the ICE to include Nav and handsfree.
Good luck and don't forget to check the roof for corrosion before you buy - see other threads on this

Found one to view, low mileage 2011 SE. Can parking sensors and cruise be retro fitted folks? Are you all using Parrot for phone or is there a Nav/DAB/Phone aftermarket solution where no factory options were fitted? Thanks in advance for pandering to my queries!

Is it a 140 or 180 engine? If 180 make sure the seller isn't selling it due to engine issues.

Seller tells me roof was done by VW in November with a 7 year warranty. It's a 180 with 29K miles. What are the engine issues? Oil usage or Anything I can spot?

11 plate. So it's been parked up a lot of the last 6 years. Cam chain tensioners? Am told it was bought in 2012 as a VW ex demonstrator, VW history to end of warranty period then local garage using VW parts.

Hmmm many people are reporting VW giving a 1year warranty on the roof repair so unless you have it in writing take with a pinch of salt.

Seller tells me roof was done by VW in November with a 7 year warranty. It's a 180 with 29K miles. What are the engine issues? Oil usage or Anything I can spot?

The roof repair warranty is not 7 years, look up the threads on here re T5 roof corrosion. Also read this thread https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/increased-oil-consumption-problem-2010-t5-cali-180-bhp.15142/
does not affect all 180 cali's but potentially a very expensive repair. Buyer beware.

11 plate. So it's been parked up a lot of the last 6 years. Cam chain tensioners? Am told it was bought in 2012 as a VW ex demonstrator, VW history to end of warranty period then local garage using VW parts.

Low milage is NOT necessarily a good buy, especially as these vehicles are built to be used. anything less than 10,000 miles/year needs a close looking over. Cambelts on the 180 should be changed at 80,000 miles or 4 years whichever is sooner, together with the water pump.
2010/2011 180 engines had a manufacturing issue in that some started using excessive oil at around 60,000 miles.
The Leisure batteries might be knackered if not looked after properly - charged monthly as recommended.

Seems, at 29,000 miles then used very occasionally. Oil seals and hydraulic ram seals as well as AirCon seals can dry out and leak if not used regularly.
Yes, low milage - minimal wear on camping furniture etc: but the mechanical side do not like sitting around not being used, so check very, very carefully.

Crikey that oil issue is a frightener for a private sale. Definitely need an engine warranty. Thanks for the heads up. I did wonder about low mileage issues so airing a few of those is welcome. Also pointing toward dealer purchase with warranty or maybe AA inspection. Hmmm. All good food for thought. Meeting you folks has already been invaluable! Cheers all.

Any specific issues to watch for with a 2009 SE beyond the above? This one seems to have the spec we're looking for. Hoping to view tomorrow. Thanks all. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/classi...-auto/towcester-northants/vw-t5-california-se

It's a pre facelift, which I'm sure you know.

The Auto gearbox is not DSG as it's pre dates this think it's called Tiptronic.

Neither of those are necessary negative, just giving info for any research you do.

Steer clear of the 180bhp engine if going down the secondhand route...!!!
Trust, it's an absolute dog of an engine.

I would not touch a 180 unless it was still under warranty, we had so many problems with ours, also any engine problems are more expensive to repair compared to 140.

So the pre facelift 180 is the same engine as the 2010/11 with the oil usage problems?