Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New member who is California Dreaming

Coral65

Coral65

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi there, my husband and I started looking at Motorhomes a few years ago but didn't think we would be comfortable driving such a larger vehicle so we have been researching van conversions and we hired a T6 in August for three nights, and loved the lifestyle it gave but found it a bit difficult to manage as we weren't very organised with not having a proper place for everything etc etc and we found the bottom bed very hard (got two knee replacements and one doesn't bend very well so top bed would be a challenge to reach) however it didn't put us off and we kept looking and narrowed a few companies down to do the conversion - then we discovered the California and the rest they say is history.
We haven't made a purchase as yet but we do have an appointment on Thursday at a garage to talk figures - it's obviously a lot more than we had budgeted for and we were thinking of getting a van next spring and I have to know I can cope with the practicalities with the old knees.
Loving the forum and it's helped greatly already so thanks to everyone for all their advice.

Fingers crossed for Thursday when maybe we can make the dream a reality.

Hi welcome to the forum. I think if you like the cali you will overcome the issues I find the lower bed hard but put up with it for the freedom I get with the van.

Thank you - I think the bed of the Cali looks more comfortable than the one we rented and I shall maybe get a mattress topper if we go ahead - I may even get a small collapsible ladder and attempt the top bed.

Hello and welcome!

If there is only two of you then you will probably be quite happy using just the downstairs bed. There are a myriad of toppers to make it more comfortable and it's just a question of finding the right one for you. I live downstairs most of the time, It's lovely to come down to an undisturbed "lounge/kitchen" but to be honest I can have my bedding stuffed away, seat up and slid back before the time it takes for my kettle to boil :D

Have fun, enjoy the looking and if it comes to the buying then you will find a lot of help and advice here.

Hi welcome,

You might consider a year old used Cali as you might save a bob or two and beat the waiting list.

You will find a few nice ones in the sales section of the site.

Best of luck!

Don´t do it.....
Save your knees and your sanity....
Make sure you use the search function if you do...
Or else.

Welcome on board , plenty of options to make the bed softer and also some clever solutions to climb up top using a ladder .
Check out some existing treads on these things , once you mind is set on a Cali there's not much that can hold you back from it .