Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean arrives early!

Topdog

Topdog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Ok, well our new T6 California Ocean has arrived at the dealers early and we can have it now if we want it! Our dilemma is that we wanted it for 1st March for the new plate. So what do we do now? Do we wait for the new plate date and take delivery then, or do we take it now and lose money in 5 years or so when we want to change it? Will that new plate make much difference?? Interested on the thoughts of the great and the good of the forum.

Thanks, yeah head says March heart says OOOH NOW NOW! :bananadance

Knowing the dealers it will take them until March to get it ready for you......

Well we've got visiting rights so we're going for a test drive tomorrow. :)

Surely a reg plate does not affect value that much! Its build date is its build date regardless of what number is on the plate. We took ours as soon as it arrived...a digit's difference makes no difference to the fun you will have. Well to me anyway ....

Surely a reg plate does not affect value that much! Its build date is its build date regardless of what number is on the plate. We took ours as soon as it arrived...a digit's difference makes no difference to the fun you will have. Well to me anyway ....

It does make a difference, just the way humans work!

I'm no expert, but whenever I have sold a car they always ask what plate it is rather than the date of build. Still not sure how much difference it makes, may be a couple of grand I suppose. If so I may wait.

+1 for waiting till 16 plate comes out. It will feel newer for longer.

Topdog what was your build week? I have a feeling I am soon going to have the same dilemma. Mine was build week 1 so scheduled to be with dealer end of Jan but I know it's built and in transit somewhere. If that's what happens I will wait 4 weeks. If they called to say ready now I'm afraid I would not have the patience so would be up to collect now. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So once you've had your test drive it will be in their outdoor compound for 10weeks, shunted here and there .
Amongst all the builders vans.
Going to have exactly the same dilemma as ours is apparently arriving at the end of January. We will probably wait as having ordered end of August another 4weeks we can just about manage. It's a shame that a new plate should make a difference but it does. Like you we can't wait to get going. Enjoy whenever you take it.

Hi, Yep build week 1 also. It was in transit last week and arrived today. Apparently they got a lot done over Christmas!

Life is far too short to wait If I was that worried by a plate number just go for a cheap "private plate"

It's not the plate that I'm bothered about, it's losing a bit more cash on the other end when it's time to change in the future. I'm thinking wait a couple more weeks, after all anticipation breeds appreciation!

Wait for the plate or you won't have a New van for long! :shocked
How would you feel if you were considering a 2014 vs a 2015 now?
You'd want to pay less for it.
As long as you have it to go away at Easter it won't make much difference.

Yeah, exactly that. Prob worth the wait in the long run. Thanks.

If you plan to keep the van for any reasonable length of time mileage and the condition you keep it will make a bigger difference IMHO. As I said if my phone rings tomorrow I don't think I can last 6 tortuous weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with davyboydanger too. Value differences have always been minimal on the cars I've owned. Take a look in one of the guides at a local newsagent. Mine is expected early Feb and I'll register straight away to get out and enjoy it!

I will have a look at price differences but the private plate thing doesn't work when you want to sell it. It would still be a 65 plate vehicle no matter what private plate you but "on top."

If you plan to keep the van for any reasonable length of time mileage and the condition you keep it will make a bigger difference
In my view I aggree with the above. Our van is and will be a higher mileage Cali when we come to pass it on. I am not thinking of what it is worth when it is time to sell or how long that will be just enjoying everyday. It is each to their own.

I have a neighbour who buy's year old cars pop's his private plate on everyone say "Oh see John's got another new car" :mute

Last edited:
This thread is going nowhere!

Yes, of course the condition of the vehicle will make a difference, as will the spec etc.

However LIKE for LIKE two California's with one plated 65 and one plated 16, the 16 will be more attractive, whether that means it sells faster, or for more money.

This is the whole reason that the 2 plate changes a year came in is that buyers waited so long to have a new plate that the car market stalled for too long for the months leading up to the plate change.

Adding a private plate (at an expense) does nothing to solve this! :)