Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New order delays and 199/204 engine update

I'd agree with @Dodge1311 on the Pro Media, but it does look good and finish the dash off by filling the space with useful screen. Not one to wait for though.
The Active Lane Assist is a great safety feature and makes long journeys a breeze, but again, I'm not sure you'd miss it.
The Driving Profile Select is another matter. I think the configurator is misleading in calling it DPS as I understand each 6.1 ignition key stores the settings last used - so 2 people with 2 different keys will have their driving profile selected when they use their own key. It is actually Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) that you are buying, which sorts the suspension out for different driving conditions - eg you can firm it up for winding roads, or soften it for the motorway and at low speed crashing through town potholes. It might actually adjust the electronic steering now as well - my dealer thought so. Given the amount of unhappiness with the handling of heavy Californias on here, and the positive noises made on here by people with it, I decided to spec it, rather than faff with aftermarket dampers and springs. That's the one you might miss?
Ahh Im learning as I go here. So I think that the DCC is what the sales guy explained to me and I did think it would really suit me - hence the spec.
I am in a real quandary now but it is helpful to learn what others make of the options because as a newbie I am pretty clueless.
Thanks for your help Tim? 66tim99

Hi Croydongirl,

I think around 6 months is probably right. I have encountered every one of the above problems so far and my Van is due to leave the factory next week for delivery end of April beginning of May. That would make it 7 and a bit months in total. As Brexit has now happened and the new engine is already rolling off the production lines i would say Sept for your is a fair assessment. Regarding your options i specced those as well as many others. The Pro media no longer has the big differential it once had as the standard media can now mirror into the cockpit idsplay. so i probably wouldn't say its worth waiting for. However as i love tech i would hate to remove an option once i had specced it.
Yes I hear what you say - I am struggling with 'reducing my spec' - but my partner is just so keen to get their one on offer and have it for the summer - But it is almost spoiling the excitement of getting my first dreamed of camper van if I go for the slightly lower spec. ;-( l Im not sure if Im being a spoilt Croydon girl! ...But when you've waited 46 years you want it to be right.Thanks for your advice though Dodge 1311

We ordered at similar times @Croydongirl , albeit mine is a 150 going to Spain. Dealer was straight up and warned me to expect nothing til October.

This suits me because I’m not convinced summer here will be restriction-free, I’m happy to “miss” it rather than push for a vehicle with a different spec. In our case, the Cali won’t do much that we can’t do already with our current van so we’re not really “missing” anything - obviously your situation may be different and you’re champing at the bit to get out!

I’m curious about the resale prices in the UK. Anecdotally people are selling on late model Calis for next to no depreciation. What’s to stop someone keeping their van on order, accepting a stock van and selling it after summer? Guess prices drop after August?

Hi, I picked up my 204 Ocean today. It appears that the road fund tax issue has been resolved :)
How good is great news for you, if it’s on your drive I bet you leave the curtains open so you can look at it all night.....I cant wait to hear your...first...second ..and third ...thoughts on a 204....4 motion as you are the first to get one

How good is great news for you, if it’s on your drive I bet you leave the curtains open so you can look at it all night.....I cant wait to hear your...first...second ..and third ...thoughts on a 204....4 motion as you are the first to get one
Very happy, first trip from the dealers only about 20 miles, then got home showed my daughter, popped the top showed her the sleeping quarters then top down a quick local drive then home only a couple of miles. Then went to collect my son, about 12 miles, back home, popped the top again and down, I don’t know what the neighbours must have thought. I have to say that the 4 motion feels much more grounded than the transporter I had on loan whilst waiting for the road tax to get sorted. I can’t wait for a decent trip out, and once I get my gas bottled filled my first cup of tea. I’ll keep you posted. :)

Very happy, first trip from the dealers only about 20 miles, then got home showed my daughter, popped the top showed her the sleeping quarters then top down a quick local drive then home only a couple of miles. Then went to collect my son, about 12 miles, back home, popped the top again and down, I don’t know what the neighbours must have thought. I have to say that the 4 motion feels much more grounded than the transporter I had on loan whilst waiting for the road tax to get sorted. I can’t wait for a decent trip out, and once I get my gas bottled filled my first cup of tea. I’ll keep you posted. :)
Thank you Russell a momentous day for you...my very best wishes to you and your family

Thank you Russell a momentous day for you...my very best wishes to you and your family
Thank you, maybe we’ll meet one day when we’re all allowed to travel.

That's great news that it got sorted so quickly (not to mention a sign of relief from those of us on this thread that will be taking delivery soon).

Enjoy your van and happy travels :)
Hopefully not too long. It will be worth the wait.

Russell I know this is not the right thread but who did you insure it with in the end
Russell I know this is not the right thread but who did you insure it with in the end
Hi JandA, to be honest I didn’t try a lot of shopping around. I went with Safeguard, ( the leaflet in my vwcaliforniaclub welcome pack), they were £8 more expensive than my current insurers through VW but provided AA cover including Homestart and recovery, legal protection, protected no claims and Class 1 business use.

Hi Guys, all interesting information regarding order times and delays etc. We ordered our fully spec'd California in September 2020. It's a 204 4 Motion vehicle and we have been aggresively patient ever since we ordered the vehicle. My dealer has advised me that build should be underway anytime now, yet VW chat are telling me a projected build date of week 22 - May 21st I believe. They have also said that may come forward also. I am not sure who to believe now! Things are getting a little frustrating. I am happy to wait for the build but I can't quite believe how poor the ordering and projected build information is. If the build week is 22, when would I expect to see sight of the vehicle at the Dealership? Thanks in advance for anyones assistance.

Hi Guys, all interesting information regarding order times and delays etc. We ordered our fully spec'd California in September 2020. It's a 204 4 Motion vehicle and we have been aggresively patient ever since we ordered the vehicle. My dealer has advised me that build should be underway anytime now, yet VW chat are telling me a projected build date of week 22 - May 21st I believe. They have also said that may come forward also. I am not sure who to believe now! Things are getting a little frustrating. I am happy to wait for the build but I can't quite believe how poor the ordering and projected build information is. If the build week is 22, when would I expect to see sight of the vehicle at the Dealership? Thanks in advance for anyones assistance.
Aggressively patient is a perfect description :headbang
I would ignore Chat entirely atm - there is a new “strictly in order” system in place I’m told that Chat aren’t privy to. Strange they have a May date though, others in this new system (inc me) have 00 code showing.
I hear delivery is often about 6!weeks after build starts, but again there ate peculiarities and sometimes delays at the port...
I remain pensively frustrated.

Aggressively patient is a perfect description :headbang
I would ignore Chat entirely atm - there is a new “strictly in order” system in place I’m told that Chat aren’t privy to. Strange they have a May date though, others in this new system (inc me) have 00 code showing.
I hear delivery is often about 6!weeks after build starts, but again there ate peculiarities and sometimes delays at the port...
I remain pensively frustrated.
Indeed! Patience is the key at the moment. I have pretty much accepted that I won't be seeing the Cali till mid/end of June at this rate. I have never waited so long for a vehicle. At least we have had time to prep for delivery and get everything we think we may need whilst we wait. It will make delivery all the sweeter. Saw a bay leaf green Caravelle Today whilst we were out walking the dog, a glimmer of hope kicked in when I saw it.

Well my cali ordered 17 Aug...started build week 8 (22 Feb)..delivered to Emden 16 March..and is still there waiting to be allocated a ship...no one can tell me when that might be...when it is shipped I am guessing 2-3 weeks for delivery to dealer and made ready for collection....but who knows!

Back