Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Owner 2012 Cali, leisure battery question

Lost Boy

Lost Boy

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm loving my new toy but I have a question. When not connected to the electrical hook up I.e running off the leisure battery the fridge only runs for about 15 hours before the battery charge hits about 60% and then it turns itself off. Can anyone tell me if this is normal and if the running time is about right? It's seems like it's a very short time to me and I'm wondering whether I might need a new leisure battery?? If so, where is the best place to get one?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you need new batteries. Try charging up on mains for 48hrs I can normally get at least three or four days with fridge on .

Sounds like you need new batteries. Try charging up on mains for 48hrs I can normally get at least three or four days with fridge on .
Have tried 24 hours and it got to 100% pretty quickly, will leaving it on for 48 hours make a difference?
Is it just the one battery under the wardrobe?

You have 2 leisure batteries 1 under the passengers seat and one in the back in the boot. Try the 48 hr charge and see if that improves it. I would be a bit surprised if it needed new ones after 3 years.

Two baterries one in wardrobe and one under passanger seat. I think I would try leaving batteries on for longer . Mine are still original ones 7years old.

Ok chaps, will report back after 48 hours
Thanks

Ok, have charged for 48 hours and after 12!hours of the fridge running I'm at 90%, thought I'd check the fuse on the rear battery positive terminal to see if it's blown whilst I was at it, anyone know how to tell? It looks fine on the surface and can't see any obvious way of knowing if it has blown?

Help appreciated

Thanks

image.jpg

I can see it hasnt blown from here:thumb

How? I can't see anything between those 2 white bits, or would it be blackened if it had gone?

It think it would be detached in the middle. And black as you say

Can you see something between the 2 white bits, I can't see anything, detached it attached but as you say it's not blackened I guess??

90% after 12 hours might be ok the way the % is calculated is pretty inaccurate, it might still show 90 after another 12 hours, or start the engine & in 5 mins it could show 100% Whats the voltage?

12.3v now 80%, fridge been on only about 13.5 hours and driven about 2 miles this morning

What setting have you got on the fridge?

I managed 4 1/2 days on Level 4, a few weeks back. Voltage had dropped to 12.3 and showed 70%.

Did previous owner look after the batteries ? I suspect not. They should be charged on mains monthly for at least 12 hours. The Control unit cuts off the fridge and/or heater if the Leisure Battery voltage drops below , I think 11v.

That Fuse looks OK you would notice a blown 75amp fuse.

Both Leisure batteries should be Identical , Make/Capacity. I would check both and if original then they should both be Varta 75amp batteries.

Looks to be all original stuff, have fridge on setting 5 and now at almost 16 hours but I have made a few short journeys, I guess which will top up. Now on 12.2V, I think the 48 hour charge seems to have helped. I don't know about the previous owner but the Leisure batteries were completely flat when I collected it and so changed off the alternator on the way home. Assume there is no risk of overcharge if I charge them on mains more frequently than monthly, perhaps I'll give them another 48 hour stint later this week?

No risk if you plug in more that once a month. Just like staying on various campsites on hookup whilst on holiday

Just don't drive off with it still plugged in, although you do get an alarm noise if you start the engine.
But it does sound as if the leisure batteries have been damaged by the previous owner and no amount of charging will return them to full capacity, unfortunately. I think you will have to replace them both sooner or later.

Just don't drive off with it still plugged in, although you do get an alarm noise if you start the engine.

The alarm only sounds if power is being supplied from the mains, just being plugged in doesn't cause the alarm to sound.

The alarm only sounds when power is supplied from the mains, just being plugged in doesn't cause the alarm to sound.

Thanks for the correction. I've never had that problem of No Mains - Touchwood.

Thanks all, been difficult to gauge what's going on as I've been using the van each day, just need a period of a few days where i can see how long it lasts. In the meantime, any simple guidance about how I get access to the battery under the passenger seat?

Did previous owner look after the batteries ? I suspect not. They should be charged on mains monthly for at least 12 hours.

Out of interest, where is this info from. If the battery is at 100% due to non use / or charging whilst driving then what would charging for 12 hours do.

My understanding is once it's charged at full capacity having it plugged in won't do anything?

Out of interest, where is this info from. If the battery is at 100% due to non use / or charging whilst driving then what would charging for 12 hours do.

My understanding is once it's charged at full capacity having it plugged in won't do anything?

Handbook. Page 222:thumb

Trickle charge , keeps your batts in good condition . No must but "adviseble" to do....
Alternator does not charge the batts all the way as the 220v hook-up does , even when it say 100% when you turn of the engine.
I only repeat what my VW garagist told me!

Back