Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New owner with a couple of questions

D

dropbear

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, picked up a t5 not long ago and just did our first trip(5 days Bordeaux-Paris) very impressed as it was raining for 4 of those days and with 2 kids and a dog you come to realize that 8 mt2 isn't really that big :) now the questions as in 15 days going on a 5 mths tour of Europe need help the fridge dosn't work tried battery and hookup the motor works compressor is humming but not getting cold? Help! 2nd and almost as important where the hell do I put my surfboard. Thanks any help greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome , as your verhicle type says T5 hightop 2005 if this is correct i don't know if they are much diffrent in electrical setup from a SE so i am holding back comment for the time beeing.
Hope some "smurf-owners" wil give some answers for you soon..

If the engine from the fridge makes noise but not getting cold , thermostat or coolant fluid is my guess.

On a hightop you have a surfboard carrier that goes on the side of the high top.

Hi and welcome , as your verhicle type says T5 hightop 2005 if this is correct i don't know if they are much diffrent in electrical setup from a SE so i am holding back comment for the time beeing.
Hope some "smurf-owners" wil give some answers for you soon..

If the engine from the fridge makes noise but not getting cold , thermostat or coolant fluid is my guess.

On a hightop you have a surfboard carrier that goes on the side of the high top.[/QUOTE
Hi Hotel California
Thanks for answering. In fact made a mistake in my profile ( fat fingers lol) it is an SE have updated profile so any suggestions would be great thanks.

Hi Hotel California thanks for your reply. In fact it is an SE made a mistake in the profile (big fingers little phone lol) so any suggestions would be great thanks.

Hi Hotel California thanks for your reply. In fact it is an SE made a mistake in the profile (big fingers little phone lol) so any suggestions would be great thanks.

https://www.thule.com/fr-fr/fr/sport-rack/surfboard-roof-racks?q=reGsFrutv

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl.../035/subcategory/35090/part_id/3684757/lang/e

Probably refrigerant leak.
Fridge is removed by lifting unit upwards by removing lid and unplugging power and control leads via entrance in Left lower kitchen cupboard.
Possible causes.
Lack of refrigerant
Fridge control unit
Temperature sensor

I'd put my money on Refrigerant.

https://www.thule.com/fr-fr/fr/sport-rack/surfboard-roof-racks?q=reGsFrutv

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl.../035/subcategory/35090/part_id/3684757/lang/e

Probably refrigerant leak.
Fridge is removed by lifting unit upwards by removing lid and unplugging power and control leads via entrance in Left lower kitchen cupboard.
Possible causes.
Lack of refrigerant
Fridge control unit
Temperature sensor

I'd put my money on Refrigerant.
Sorry @WelshGas but to remove fridge on 2005 model you also have to remove sink unit, to gain access to screws that hold fridge in place, see my download in downloads section.

Sorry @WelshGas but to remove fridge on 2005 model you also have to remove sink unit, to gain access to screws that hold fridge in place, see my download in downloads section.
:thanks Didn't realise it was different.

I'd run through the checks on here first before removing.

http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/page/12_24volt_troubleshooting_frequently_asked_questions/

Your unit has a BD 35 compressor I believe so the control box will look like this.

IMG_1725.JPG

The black rectangular box below the black wire is the speed control resistor and is connected in series with the thermostat. Pull this off and link out terminals T and C. The fridge will start and run. If it fails to cool then you've established it's not the stat at fault.

Next try this

IMG_1728.JPG

Pull off the red wire and connect in series with an ammeter. Run the fridge. You're looking for around 4A.
Less than this and you have a refrigerant loss.

If so, remove the fridge and take it to Penguin refrigeration in Havant.

IMG_1745.JPG

Ok thanks for all the info and after going on the penguin trouble shooting page and talking to a fridge mechanic decided that it is a leak. Am now in the middle of pulling the fridge out and yes welshgas it is a pain :)

one thing you need to do is keep it upright, otherwise oil from the compressor can leak into the condenser/evaporator circuit. This applies to all compressor refrigerators/freezers. If you have done this, stand it upright for at least 24hrs for oil to drain back

Well I'm back with another question.
After the fridge mechanic had a look and spent a couple of hours trying( re-soldering and refilling with gas) the great news is the fridge is dead :( so the search for a new one starts. Any ideas? Had a look on the waeco web site but only new models available ,contacted a couple of cali dealers but they don't sell accessories, looked on the accessories web site but don't have our fridge type. Any help greatly appreciated.

It's not dead. Your man just can't/won't fix it.

You can spend 800 Euro on a new one from here

http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/Guen.../Shops/GuenzlClassicParts/Products/701070502C

or similar.

Or you could take it to Penguin, as originally suggested, and they will fix it by either replacing the condensing plate/compressor/un block it etc etc, all at a lot lower cost than a new one.

You were told.
Might not be so easy for him as he is in France and Penguin is in the U.K.

I'm pretty sure there is a postal system in France?

Thanks for the quick response.
Well to be precise the fridge is not exactly dead but the price to fix it would go above the price of a new one(tried and tested appliance mechanic as has already fixed my home fridge and air-con)Would go to penguin but the closest to me is a 10hr drive and apparently because the fridge has been in this condition for quite awhile e.i broken gas pipe, there is a high risk that condensation has occurred in the compressor add to that,that the insulation has become detached from the interior of the fridge and the gas they would now need to use to fill this fridge has now been banned( well in France that is) can't see the sense in losing 3 days.
Thanks for the link as didn't find that site when searching for a new fridge

Back