Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New split glass cooker/sink lids heat proof - not?

OConnors

OConnors

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I am assuming if you put the glass lid down with the hob lit the cooker stays on and the glass shatters?

The new T6 we have just picked up has the new split sink/cooker glass lids, standard now I believe.

I am concerned if you use a large frying pan on the RH side with the sink lid down the flame will travel across to the glass heat and shatter it? Has anybody else thoughts on this?

Surely the bods at VW thought of this?

I was wondering about that too.
I have the non-split top and have melted a bit of the plastic
washing up bowl whilst cooking.

I have the protector kit on mine fron @Ajspicer and have a burn mark on that already because I left the glass down over the sink. So in short cook with the kitchen top up I need to order a new kit :(

Last edited:
I have the protector lit on mine fron @Ajspicer and have a burn mark on that already because I left the glass down over the sink. So in short cook with the kitchen top up I need to order a new kit :(

I have 2 small marks on the cover over the sink which I scorched when I had the kettle too close to the sink rather than in the centre of the hob.
If you use large pans on the hobs and the flame up high it can spread to the edge if you aren't careful.

I have the protector kit on mine fron @Ajspicer and have a burn mark on that already because I left the glass down over the sink. So in short cook with the kitchen top up I need to order a new kit :(
Yep I agree cook with the top up as I have the same burn / scorch mark on the Ajspicer protector kit after using the R/H burner with the sink glass down :(

So not necessarily a “ Good “ improvement in the real world.;)

So not necessarily a “ Good “ improvement in the real world.;)
A swings and roundabouts situation i guess that requires more thought. Surely though, there will be some replacements required as time goes on.

A swings and roundabouts situation i guess that requires more thought. Surely though, there will be some replacements required as time goes on.
Does the Handbook say anything about using the hob with the Sink Section in the down position?

Does the Handbook say anything about using the hob with the Sink Section in the down position?
I don't know....:oops:
I didn't foresee the issue myself so never checked and still haven't. If nobody posts first, I'll let you know tomorrow.

Ok i'll own up......last week i managed to close the cooker glass and missed that the left burner was on low. :headbang

Wasn't on long but enough to start to melt the grey protection film in a nice circle and melt the bottom of my travel mug.

Glass looks fine though so i should be able to remove the old file and put on a fresh one.

Last edited:
Yep I agree cook with the top up as I have the same burn / scorch mark on the Ajspicer protector kit after using the R/H burner with the sink glass down :(

Ours have been scorched as well through the glass, we must of pulled the lid down be ore the hobs had cooled down :(

I think the split top is a worthwhile mod, most of the time we only use the left hand burner; I think we’ll make it policy to lift up the sink one if we are using that burner.

It’s handy being able to leave the cooker lid down when using the sink (you know, to wash the dolls house size dishes in ;))

MY18 Supplement (p56) says 'Fully fold up the top of the kitchenette'.

Although the supplement is updated with diagrams of the split kitchenette top, the wording in the 'warning' text and in the instructional text does not specifically mention the sink top cover portion.

There is however a specific warning (p54) not to open the fridge whilst the gas flame is lit, presumably to safeguard against the fridge seal getting heat damage. Plus there is a warning to keep plastic materials away from the cooker (perhaps the washing-up bowl!).

Recent practical experience in hired T5/T6's with single top cookers and now with our MY18 T6 is to use L/H burner for all single pot/pan/kettle uses. For two pot cooking sessions use L/H burner to bring items to the boil/cooking heat, then move them to the R/H burner to keep at simmer/medium/low heat (with sink cover either open or closed), freeing up the L/H side for second pot/pan that needs closer attention from Le Chef :cool:.
That said, the user still has to remember to switch off and let everything cool before closing the tops down.

@OConnors I'd suggest only stocking your new van with pans of 22cm diameter max!

71bWcBDVyuL._SL1378_.jpg

Get yourself one of these @2020 freedom only 22cm wide!
Level 1: Chicken Bhuna, Level 2: Vegetable Curry, Level 3: Steamed Rice, Level 4: Onion Bhaji and Vegetable Pakora :cool:

ooooohhh Yeeessssss.
Nice chilled beer from the fridge too.
:cheers

If they had made to sink top glass just 15mm narrower then I think it would have been OK, except on max heat possibly. If you keep the wider pan on the left hand burner and the narrower pan on the centre of the right hand burner, it works fine. I had put the kettle down just a bit offset.
That's how you learn though.

I am assuming if you put the glass lid down with the hob lit the cooker stays on and the glass shatters?

The new T6 we have just picked up has the new split sink/cooker glass lids, standard now I believe.

I am concerned if you use a large frying pan on the RH side with the sink lid down the flame will travel across to the glass heat and shatter it? Has anybody else thoughts on this?

Surely the bods at VW thought of this?
I melted my washing up bowl very early on in my T5. I think the split top is a great improvement but commonsense and experience would tell me to keep everything vulnerable away from the hob. A bit of breeze will wave the flame around.

A warning is included in the booklet "COOKING, Hobs and Combinations" on page 16. It is not very obvious, but it states that pans on the hob should be kept at a minimum distance of 10mm from the sink unit lid when it is closed. My neighbour has a Marco Polo (he's a nice chap, but....good job not everyone is perfect like us!) with the split cooker and sink unit lids and has managed to damage the sink unit lid. I think the main message is to raise both lids when cooking!

Must change the profile picture!