Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Split Kitchen Glass - Seen at a Dealer

MichaelB

MichaelB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hello All

It's been a while since I've posted. I was at a dealer at the weekend looking (and then ordering) a new MY18 T6. So I grabed a photo of the new kitchen glass lid.

New Cali Sink.jpg

The feel of it was quite nice and the hinge allows you to place the lid at any position. Not sure if there may be issues in the future with the extra strain this will put on the glass though.

Also I don't know if this is news or not but the MY18 will also have the mini drawer under the bench seat as standard.

We have taken delivery of the MY18 and it does not have the mini draw under bench seat ?

We have taken delivery of the MY18 and it does not have the mini draw under bench seat ?

Interesting. Dealer told me it did and the one I took a picture of had the drawer. I was keen to make sure I get one so asked him to put it in writing. Guess I will find out in about nine months if I'll need that email.

Hope you're enjoying your new Cali!

Did you go for the concept light option?

Interesting. Dealer told me it did and the one I took a picture of had the drawer. I was keen to make sure I get one so asked him to put it in writing. Guess I will find out in about nine months if I'll need that email.

Hope you're enjoying your new Cali!

Did you go for the concept light option?
Are you really going to wait 9 months for your van???
What on earth will you do in the mean time??

Are you really going to wait 9 months for your van???
What on earth will you do in the mean time??

The dealer told me to plan for nine months to a year. I hope he is mainly managing my expectations as many people on the forum seem to be getting theirs quicker than that.

What will we do in the meantime? Well...firstly save for it! Also we are lucky that we already have a 140 SE so this is an upgrade rather than our first van so we will be out enjoying our current van dreaming of DSG, an extra 10bhp and of course the split kitchen glass!

So I'm telling myself the wait won't really matter... Almost a week in and it does at the moment!

The dealer told me to plan for nine months to a year. I hope he is mainly managing my expectations as many people on the forum seem to be getting theirs quicker than that.

What will we do in the meantime? Well...firstly save for it! Also we are lucky that we already have a 140 SE so this is an upgrade rather than our first van so we will be out enjoying our current van dreaming of DSG, an extra 10bhp and of course the split kitchen glass!

So I'm telling myself the wait won't really matter... Almost a week in and it does at the moment!
Now I understand. I could have waited for the new T6, but couldn't wait.....and am glad I didn't , as I had such a good time in the interim.
Your new van sounds lush. DSG is brilliant, and the split glass does look such a sensible idea...shame we can't retro fit it. You also get the higher cupboard door latches, lighter bellows, better MPG etc.
If I didn't enjoy my van so much I would be jealous.

Split glass! How exciting, SMEV / Dometic have been supplying units like that for years and it's taken VW this long to catch on.
They will be fitting a hinged draining board to drop down over the burners like the Type 25 Westfalia Joker had next.

So... after some feedback on this thread, conversation with other dealers and chat with VW customers services it seems there is some confusing on what is and is not included on the MY 2018. I'll post the official line I get from VWCV Customer services once they send it to me in writing next week in the configurator thread. The spit glass is. The drawer is anyone's guess.

We have managed to melt our sink bowl when cooking so I wonder if there's a danger in damaging the sink glass if it's down when cooking next to it? :Iamsorry

I don't know what the new drawer is all about! I like the present one, is there an improvement I should be craving? Could be the sole reason for an upgrade

Yorkie

Good point. Given VW's fondness of putting stickers everywhere to warn you about potential dangers I would imagine they will warn you if there is a potential danger. I think we will see how much heat is picked up and open both if the right hand burner is being used.

The drawer is the narrow one under the bench seat next to the kitchen unit where the blanking plat is. Sadly you can't use it as a reason to upgrade as for £200 you can retro fit it. I did and I find it useful. In any case there is doubt of it being a new standard feature so I may be fitting other when our new T6 arrives.

Back