Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New starter battery recommendations T5

A

aileron346

VIP Member
Hi, any recommendations for a replacement starter battery? I tend to not mind paying a bit more for something I’ll have for a few years, so usually go gor the big brands.
One thing I’m wondering about is AGM.Is there any advantage in terms of reliability etc. for vans without Bluemotion stop-start. I’m thinking of Varta F19 or F21.
Thanks

Just to complete the loop here, I did, in the end, go for a Varta F21 AGM starter battery. Their website FAQ seemed to make a reasonable pitch for AGM still being a decent upgrade in non stop-start engines. Fitted fine, a bit longer than the OEM battery in my 2011 T5 Facelift, so I had to tape the little insulating jacket around.

Hi, did you need to re-program the starter battery charing current when swapping from wet to AGM battery? I am trying to figure out whether it is worth the effort to upgrade to AGM or if I should stay with the original standard wet battery type in my 2012 T5.

Hi, any recommendations for a replacement starter battery? I tend to not mind paying a bit more for something I’ll have for a few years, so usually go gor the big brands.
One thing I’m wondering about is AGM.Is there any advantage in terms of reliability etc. for vans without Bluemotion stop-start. I’m thinking of Varta F19 or F21.
Thanks
We got ours from the RAC with mobile fitting, and went for a higher rating than OEM; You wont find the same model number on the RAC/AA website as they have their own codes. RAC (+AA) use T6 Vans for their own Fleet, so know the correct battery to use.

If you are a member then the fitting is free so you just pay for the battery. If they test your battery and it's fine, they will refund the cost of the new battery with no surcharge.

RAC batteries are made by Varta, and they will recode for no additional fee as part of the Mobile fitting (n/a for our 2012 Beach). Can usually be booked for next day fitting.

Hi, no I didn’t re-programme but I switched batteries using a method I found online (I think maybe on a T4 or T5 YouTube DIY video) which maintained power throughout.

Back