Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New style T5.1 internal windscreen cover - the one without the tent poles

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've tried the search function without success - we have the one with the tent poles. I find it a pain in the neck - looks a mess and it's easy to scratch the dashboard when putting it in place/taking it down. But my wife prefers it to the external cover which we also have. I prefer the external cover, but there you go ...

So, in the interests of marital harmony, I'm thinking about getting one of the newer type, without the infernal tent poles. Just wondered if anyone could comment on the new type. Does it do the job on the privacy front, is it easy to fit? How does it work? I'm wondering if we could adapt ours?

Thanks in anticipation!

Ian

(Maybe we should just trade our van in for a T6 with the lovely slide out blinds ... ha ha)

I have the "new type" and am considering either the internal silver screen or the external thermal cover.
I do not like the fixing method of hanging from the sun visors and mirror.
They do not offer any insulation, so lots of condensation and do not provide much in the way of blackout.
They gape a bit at each end so need a bit of tweaking to block out light.
On the plus side they are very compact.

We've used the non tent pile ones quite a bit and rather like them apart from as mentioned not much blackout. Haven't had any condensation problems and only use them in summer as we have a Comfortz insulated cover for colder weather.

I have them. Used all year round. Not perfect blackout but that doesn't bother us. Condensation = Inadequate ventilation. I use Brandrup window vents, even in the depths of winter. Just turn the Parking Heater up.

We have them, they work ok but can be a pain to fit if the sun visors are not put down before the seats are swiveled as the head rests get in the way.

Thanks all - doesn't sound like I could adapt ours to the new version? I'm expecting a crazy price if I have to buy from VW :(

ArunAlec- could you say more about the "internal silver screen" you mention?

Although we have the Comfortz external screen cover which is very good and we use most of the time, I was glad to have kept the "new" magnetised 5.1 covers in the bench draw recently.

We got hit by high winds - out of the blue - in the Italian Lakes this year, which nearly ripped the external cover from the van in the middle of the night. We removed it and put on the excellent internal covers for a couple of nights.

Just a thought... I don't think it would be a big stretch to copy a set of templates and make them up yourself if you know somebody nifty with a sewing machine. You can buy small magnets from any craft shop and just sew them into the seams. You may be able to sew them into the original covers? Could even use black out fabric if making up new.

WG - looks like a good quality solution, but I'm nervous of screwing holes into the metalwork.

cpjb - yes I was thinking maybe mine could be adapted along the lines of the new version

ArunAlec - looks like a good option too!

Lots to think about ,- thanks again all

I have the internal screens in the link posted by @ArunAlec, withthe suckers to hold them up. I find them very good and I like the fact that being internal they don't get wet so we can pop them away in the underbed drawer without having to dry them off, and that we can take them down without going outside.

Very little condensation if a window is left cracked open a very small way, and definitely adequate blackout.

We too didn’t like the faff and hassle fitting the factory windscreen curtain that came with our 2015 T5.1 but also didn’t like the flimsy look of the T6 factory blinds. In the end we purchased a fitted blind kit from ‘Remis’ . These replace the original ‘A’ pillar trims and have metal guide bars installed along top and bottom of windscreen. The hidden pleated blinds take 10 seconds to deploy and are held together by magnets. They look & operate far better than the VW T6 blinds. Not going to lie, these blinds are not cheap but if you’ve got a T5 / 5.1 the fact that you’ve spent the extra money on buying a California justifies it. One of the best upgrades that can be retrofitted to a T5 / 5.1 in our experience.

We too didn’t like the faff and hassle fitting the factory windscreen curtain that came with our 2015 T5.1 but also didn’t like the flimsy look of the T6 factory blinds. In the end we purchased a fitted blind kit from ‘Remis’ . These replace the original ‘A’ pillar trims and have metal guide bars installed along top and bottom of windscreen. The hidden pleated blinds take 10 seconds to deploy and are held together by magnets. They look & operate far better than the VW T6 blinds. Not going to lie, these blinds are not cheap but if you’ve got a T5 / 5.1 the fact that you’ve spent the extra money on buying a California justifies it. One of the best upgrades that can be retrofitted to a T5 / 5.1 in our experience.

Any pictures please?

Brandrup Isolite - effective but looks very much like it is sheets of foil coated bubble wrap with round sticky velcro pads cut and trimmed to the correct shapes

Lay flat and store in the pop top

You could no doubt engineer a much cheaper solution with roll of foil bubble insulation from a builders merchant and a pack of sticky velcro

Back