Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T.6.1 Ocean

Hetti

Hetti

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I’m wondering if any one else who’s recently taken delivery of a new Ocean has experienced any issues with the camping heater? It tries to start but cuts out very quickly before the diesel mostly kicks in. Eventually we got it working but the amount of blue smoke was overwhelming. Seems like there’s a fault somewhere. Also - Is it usual for the heater to take a while to start and shut down? Maybe we are being inpatient but it would be helpful to know how the heater is supposed to work. Probably a visit to our dealership is the best option?!

Hi..I also took delivery of my news T6.1 Ocean and could'nt get the camping heather working right. I will need to further test it before I take it to VW to check.

I’m wondering if any one else who’s recently taken delivery of a new Ocean has experienced any issues with the camping heater? It tries to start but cuts out very quickly before the diesel mostly kicks in. Eventually we got it working but the amount of blue smoke was overwhelming. Seems like there’s a fault somewhere. Also - Is it usual for the heater to take a while to start and shut down? Maybe we are being inpatient but it would be helpful to know how the heater is supposed to work. Probably a visit to our dealership is the best option?!
Hi @Hetti It's not as straight forward as it should be. Heat continuously vs Heat immediately etc etc.
I am guessing it might just be a case that you haven't specified a high enough setting on these not so cold evenings. Tested ours last weekend (just to prove it was working - not that we needed it) and didn't get much output on anything lower than number 7. We did get a bit of smoke on start up, but soon cleared. Yes it does take a good few minutes to sort itself out, both on startup and shutdown, when it will "run on" as part of the cool down.

I'd use "Heat continuously" to avoid the time limits imposed by the "Heat immediately" option and if you are just looking to test that it works pump the number up high to check. My guess is that its not cold enough to kick in on the lower numbers.

We’ve had issues as well, quite disappointed with the heater in the 6.1.

It behaves very oddly, switches itself off and fails to start up. It sometimes says maximum running time reached even when it’s only been on for an hour or two.

The control panel is incredibly confusing and just buggy.

Disappointing as I don’t the the 6 had these problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve had issues as well, quite disappointed with the heater in the 6.1.

It behaves very oddly, switches itself off and fails to start up. It sometimes says maximum running time reached even when it’s only been on for an hour or two.

The control panel is incredibly confusing and just buggy.

Disappointing as I don’t the the 6 had these problems.

I'd recommend leaving "Heat immediately" alone (although it's the only option if you use the key fob) "Heat Continously" set on level 7 give or take should serve you well.

I'd recommend leaving "Heat immediately" alone (although it's the only option if you use the key fob) "Heat Continously" set on level 7 give or take should serve you well.

Thanks, unfortunately “Heat continuously” doesn’t seem to work for us only any level. It’s just switching off immediately (including the light on the control panel)

Thanks, unfortunately “Heat continuously” doesn’t seem to work for us only any level. It’s just switching off immediately (including the light on the control panel)

What a nightmare. Does sound like you need a trip to the van centre then I'm afraid.

You are not alone, same here. Heat continuously switches off immediatly. That got us some early nights, reading under our duvets...