Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6 Beach: Should Roof Be Difficult to Close?

X4 VWC

X4 VWC

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Picked up a new Beach recently and delighted with it! However, the roof is difficult to close at the last stage and I would like to understanding if this is normal. The roof pulls down fine and the passenger side almost reaches the latch, needing just a gentle pull to clip in. However, on the driver's side, I really have to pull to be able to close the latch. I'm ensuring that all the fabric is neatly inside the vehicle as I close the roof, so I am not aware of any obstruction. If I allow the roof to simply rest after pulling it down and look outside, the passenger side is more or less flat but the driver's side is an inch or two higher. I have an awning on the van and wonder if the brackets make closing harder. Is this normal?

We have a 2 month old T6 beach too. When pulling the roof down, there is some initial resistance to get it moving from the fully open position then it falls nicely down to a couple of inches from closed (just enough to recheck that the folds are all in the right place. It then requires a firm pull to close the last bit - same both sides on ours. This leave it close enough for the two pull down latches to finish the job. So, no, ours is same both sides. Has it seen much action? Perhaps it needs a bit more use to free up?

Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean by one last pull to bring it down and just after that is when I think I might have a problem ... one side is then easy to clip in but the other requires you to be keep pulling firmly on the roof to be able to clip it in on the driver's side. Is this normal?

there is a reassuring tightness when the roof clips engage. we use a mattress protector and a fitted sheet - if the bedding bunches to one side the tolerances are tight and this can cause enough of an obstruction

Thanks for confirming, Cali Fate.

And of course tripple check that the litte mattress at the far end hasn't become unseated and that the main mattress is pulled fully forward.

And of course tripple check that the litte mattress at the far end hasn't become unseated and that the main mattress is pulled fully forward.
If you have the Comfortz Roof Mattress Cover then both sections are in the one cover which helps to position it correctly for closure.

We found that a very thin smear of vaseline on the rubber roof seals made the roof easier to close and open.

We found that a very thin smear of vaseline on the rubber roof seals made the roof easier to close and open.
Petroleum based lubricants can cause cracking and/or swelling of certain types of rubber seals, also if to much lube is used it picks up dirt and turns into grinding paste. A silicon based lube would be better, if you use an aerosol, spray it onto a cloth first and wipe it on, the propellant in the can can also cause problems with rubber seals.
Whatever product you use try it on a small inconspicuous area first, and leave it to see what, if anything happens.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Loz
The closing action is reassuringly tight - like closing a golf soft top you feel like the seals are all depressed and doing their job - i wouldnt fiddle with it - its supposed to be like that

My T5 was perfect to begin with but over time seems to have got a slight lean to one side, although not visible this means the roof won't pull down on the drivers side .unless I pull it to the side slightly.

Be careful not to crease your roof if its offering lots of resistance. It shouldn't be a lot of force required to slot into place.

Back