Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6 Cali Handling

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

After driving around in this loan 204 DSG TSI for a month while waiting for the registration issue to be sorted with ours, I am getting much more used to the handling.

I do find that it does like to wallow and roll quite a lot, even when trying to just keep pace with normal traffic speeds round large roundabouts etc. I did the M40 to Northampton stretch on the A43 today and it was rolling around all the roundabouts just staying with the traffic.

Ok, I can drive slower and stay in the inside lane etc, but I do want to improve things if possible.

We've ordered the HD anti roll bars on our 204 that we have on order (haven't driven a Cali with them fitted), but I am also wondering about the 30mm lowering kit.

What is peoples experience in the improvements made with just the HD anti roll bars, vs the 30mm lowering kit?

I've seen all the threads re 'should I lower it' etc, so this is really aimed at how much difference the HD anti roll bars make, vs the 30mm lowering, rather than should I lower it or not.

Cheers

Hi there. As the name suggests, the HD ARBs really do tighten up the wallowing, I then added Bilstein B14s and some comfort was lost as the ride is quite a bit firmer but more akin to a hot hatch as opposed to crashy (its firm but plush if that makes sense). I was going to add the VW springs but went with coilovers as I was adding bigger wheels and thought it would be more comfortable. I drove mine for quite a while with just the HD ARBs before lowering and I’d advise you to do the same as I was pleasantly surprised with the handling improvement on those alone. It’s a big improvement for the money imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The main difference I found with the HD anti roll bars, vs driving the same model as a demonstrator without them, was flatter cornering - particularly on roundabouts.

The VW 30mm lowering springs we got later on made the overall ride significantly more composed with less body movement on undulating British roads, especially sat in the back.

I personally wouldn't have another California Ocean without fitting both of these options, but it's all down to personal preference. I held on to the standard springs in case the next owner wants the standard ride.

Hi iv just got the 30mm lowering springs on mine and that made it lots better, I can’t comment on the HDs as not fitted or driven one with.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I am best just taking delivery with the factory fitted HD anti roll bars and then seeing how I get on from there.

We've got exactly the same dilemma but think we're going to go for the stiffer springs as well as the hd arbs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I am best just taking delivery with the factory fitted HD anti roll bars and then seeing how I get on from there.

I would.

Mike

Hi Everyone

After driving around in this loan 204 DSG TSI for a month while waiting for the registration issue to be sorted with ours, I am getting much more used to the handling.

I do find that it does like to wallow and roll quite a lot, even when trying to just keep pace with normal traffic speeds round large roundabouts etc. I did the M40 to Northampton stretch on the A43 today and it was rolling around all the roundabouts just staying with the traffic.

Ok, I can drive slower and stay in the inside lane etc, but I do want to improve things if possible.

We've ordered the HD anti roll bars on our 204 that we have on order (haven't driven a Cali with them fitted), but I am also wondering about the 30mm lowering kit.

What is peoples experience in the improvements made with just the HD anti roll bars, vs the 30mm lowering kit?

I've seen all the threads re 'should I lower it' etc, so this is really aimed at how much difference the HD anti roll bars make, vs the 30mm lowering, rather than should I lower it or not.

Cheers

We hired T5 and T6 before ordering which gave me a better understanding of how I would like to improve the handling.

I ordered HDARBs and then as soon as it arrived from Germany had the 30mm VW lower springs fitted.

The ARBs give a flatter ride with much less body roll and the springs lower the centre of gravity (also improve the look) and give a better cornering performance on winding roads and roundabouts.

I much prefer a marginally firmer ride to gain better handling and stability which gives increased confidence...and much more fun. I'm not talking about throwing my California around but country lanes and town roundabouts are so much easier.

Some have commented that they feel the lower springs make the ride too firm but personally I dont agree at all.

So as others have suggested do go for the HD ARBs...then drive it forr a while and get lower springs to improve handling a little more.

I must say that I hated the rock and roll of the T6. The number of times poor old batman fall off the seat due to the pitching under breaking are countless. I had fitted Bilstein Coilover shocks and h&r roll bars. The pitching as gone along with the rock and roll ride. The van now drives flatter around corners, and know longer nose dives under breaking and batman keeps his seat. It’s the way the van should of came out of the factory and not be an upgrade much needed.F

Does anyone know the Vw part numbers for the HD ARB’s or where I would find them. VW parts dept have never heard of them!!!. Our is a Cali 204 DSG with no led lights.

Does anyone know the Vw part numbers for the HD ARB’s or where I would find them. VW parts dept have never heard of them!!!. Our is a Cali 204 DSG with no led lights.

Hi. I put mine on the original order spec. so I'm afraid I can't help.

They say that if you want to hide something forever then give it a dealer part number!

If your dealer can't help then I would get in touch with the parts dept. of one or two others.

Our cali is a 204 DSG too and I'm sure you would need to be careful about the load/stress rating to make sure the HD ARB's are correct.

The T5 rear ARB upgrade kit is VW part No. 7E5511407A. ~£180 inc club discount. I believe also fits T6. VW parts Dpt should be able to confirm it fits T6 with that part number. No kit for front as only need to buy the bar and the 2 bushes. Mostly people only do the rear as makes the most difference.

The T5 rear ARB upgrade kit is VW part No. 7E5511407A. ~£180 inc club discount
£160 at my VW Dealer - standard price. This is for rear arb, would bushes be included with the bar?

£160 at my VW Dealer - standard price. This is for rear arb, would bushes be included with the bar?
If that price if for the part number of kit then yes new bushes and brackets included. Was that a + vat price?

If that price if for the part number of kit then yes new bushes and brackets included. Was that a + vat price?
Yes, £133.47 + VAT. Same price as my local TPS.

Thanks. Just been quoted same price too. Total of £145 inc VIP discount. Comes with new bushes.
Where? Volkswagen Van Centre Lancashire?

No sorry, from SMG Cowfold.

I had a message from dealer (Liverpool van centre) that they can order the arb but will not fit it as “it may affect the handling of the vehicle”!

Anyone know what that is all about. I will certainly affect the handling, but in a good way.

Also, does the standard Cali have arb’s fitted and you can upgrade to hd Arbs or are there none fitted?

Can only speak for the T5 but my understanding is T6 the same on rear. Yes ARB fitted as std 24mm OD HD ARB is 28mm OD. On the transporter forums many say uprating only the rear ARB is the best single mod to do for handling. How about asking VW to fit HD ARB to both rear and front? Then your van would be the same as if you had ticked the HD ARB box when ordering new so shouldn't be a problem for them.

Afternoon ITGuy
I appreciate you only got your new van yesterday, but do you have any initial thoughts on whether you will use shorter springs as well as the ARB? Or are the ARB sufficient when c/p to the standard loan Cali204 you had?

Does the ARB kit come with clips to stop the cups flying around? ;):D

Afternoon ITGuy
I appreciate you only got your new van yesterday, but do you have any initial thoughts on whether you will use shorter springs as well as the ARB? Or are the ARB sufficient when c/p to the standard loan Cali204 you had?

Hi - we are very very pleased with the difference just the ARBs have made.

Before we collected it we were almost certain that we were going to want the lowering springs too but having had it now for a few days our minds are being changed.

Although we've done about 350 miles in it now, most of those have been motorway so today we are going out around cornwall just mooching around so we will be able to give a much better answer later tonight.

They do make a big difference.