Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New table or Vinyl Covering?

Wobble’s Mum

Wobble’s Mum

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Dilemma...

Our internal table in the sliding door is scratched right through the middle, due to it rubbing on the rear wheel arch. We took it in to our local Van centre (who we did not buy our van from) to be looked at under warranty, where they put some bolts in the door card, pulled it in and fixed the issue and polished up the arch.

They won’t replace the table though as they say that the Van Centre who sold the van to us, should have picked it up on a PDI and therefore should pay for a replacement.

I am really at the end of my tether with the ‘selling’ dealership (long story) so may just cover the table with something and avoid more angst.

I know some of you have done this already. What did you use? How good does it look really? Is it still practical? Do you have pictures?

I’m so tempted to give it the indivuality - just don’t want to look at it in a years time and wish I’d got a replacement!

Dilemma...

Our internal table in the sliding door is scratched right through the middle, due to it rubbing on the rear wheel arch. We took it in to our local Van centre (who we did not buy our van from) to be looked at under warranty, where they put some bolts in the door card, pulled it in and fixed the issue and polished up the arch.

They won’t replace the table though as they say that the Van Centre who sold the van to us, should have picked it up on a PDI and therefore should pay for a replacement.

I am really at the end of my tether with the ‘selling’ dealership (long story) so may just cover the table with something and avoid more angst.

I know some of you have done this already. What did you use? How good does it look really? Is it still practical? Do you have pictures?

I’m so tempted to give it the indivuality - just don’t want to look at it in a years time and wish I’d got a replacement!
You shouldn’t have to return to the selling Dealership to get the table replaced. The Dealerships don’t pay VWUK do. Phone VW Customer Service.

As long as it is under warrenty I‘d try @WelshGas way. Covering a table is an easy job and there are some good films out there or even printed maps (@Auberg-ine) and individual solutions

I used the recommendation on here for PIXERS vinyl covering, I havent fitted it yet but they have every design you can think of.

My table has a dent so after advise from Bob I'll be using car body filler to get it super smooth before covering.

My personal view is if the table is catching its a fault and should be rectified, VWCC should get you more traction than a dealer.

My personal view is if the table is catching its a fault and should be rectified, VWCC should get you more traction than a dealer.

I totally agree that it should be rectified, but anyone who read our original saga (which is still ongoing for poorly fitted window tints) will know that I have just about had enough of our dealer and VWCS. I’m all out of fight.

I love the board game ideas...

I contacted Pixers via facebook and they confirmed you can supply/use your own image/design.

I'm still on the lookout for a company to print a custom design as I'd like to have the Risk board game map on my table so we can play when camping.

Dilemma...

Hi Mum,
I've been experimenting myself on this issue; you can find a picture and further comments in here:
Fully equipped. My all-seasons all-purpose T6 Ocean interior :
I wanted a higher resolution image than what was on the market (300dpi to be able to see small villages with a magnifying glass), so I ordered a photo print and fabricated it myself. For the kitchen table I used a contact glue, which I improved for the picnic table by using double-sided carpet tape. (100% and no overlap!).
You can ask for laminated finishes which are more resistant to scratches than a vinyl. But for my next Cali I would invest in a digital printed HPL panel (e.g. Abet Laminati), which are also more heat resistant.

Last edited:
I contacted Pixers via facebook and they confirmed you can supply/use your own image/design.

Excellent, I just need to find a suitable high resolution file or get the camera and tripod out and get the right lightning to photograph my own board I guess.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think I'll extend the design around the edge a bit to give me room to cut the sticker to the shape of the table with the important bits a couple of cm inboard of the edges. Will update when I get around to it :)

Take a trip to your local wilkos. I picked up a roll of what is essentially sticky back plastic for about £3. It is a German brand and there are lots of different designs.
It is very easy to apply and you cut it yourself. There was enough on one roll to cover both tables and the fridge door and it looks fab. If you don’t like the result (but i’m sure you’ll be delighted) then you can simply peel it off. It is hardwearing and makes the van look a little less grey.

Hi,

After reading a recommendation in the forum, we ordered film cover for both tables from Pixers. Great quality, ordered specific size as close to the table dimensions as we could. Easy to fit and trim to size with a sharp knife. I’ll attach a couple of pics.

8702984B-1D1C-426A-8C1A-6D4FDC755E49.jpeg 776DCE3B-F021-43FB-8497-BD37C6F284B8.jpeg

Take a trip to your local wilkos. I picked up a roll of what is essentially sticky back plastic for about £3. It is a German brand and there are lots of different designs.
It is very easy to apply and you cut it yourself. There was enough on one roll to cover both tables and the fridge door and it looks fab. If you don’t like the result (but i’m sure you’ll be delighted) then you can simply peel it off. It is hardwearing and makes the van look a little less grey.
Always worth a look in Wilko...... their collapsible buckets and bowls are identical to the branded camping ones and half the cost.

Having read this thread I've ordered for my tables. Love the idea of adding some colour to my interior....

Anyone got any tips for fitting.... not much info on the Pixers site that I can see?

Thanks

You will need a sharp scalpel for cutting around the outline after sticking it on your table. It’s important to remove dust and grease before applying it. Lay it as flat as possible and work from one end and use something with a flat stiff edge to keep the air bubbles out.
Follow the instructions and you will be fine.

You will need a sharp scalpel for cutting around the outline after sticking it on your table. It’s important to remove dust and grease before applying it. Lay it as flat as possible and work from one end and use something with a flat stiff edge to keep the air bubbles out.

Great thanks for the advice.
:thanks

Few more examples here;
@Oldesmokie I did film a little of the application to show the process as we did it.

WIll try to put something out before we go away.

Last edited:
We used white spirit to clean the table before hand and ensured it was fully dry and clean before starting.

We used a felt edged squeegee to smooth it as we unpeeled the backing from underneath. Similar to applying a vinyl decal.

Last edited:
Hi,

After reading a recommendation in the forum, we ordered film cover for both tables from Pixers. Great quality, ordered specific size as close to the table dimensions as we could. Easy to fit and trim to size with a sharp knife. I’ll attach a couple of pics.

View attachment 40961 View attachment 40962
Actually even though my tables are in perfect condition I wouldn’t mind doing something like this anyway. We are always Uber careful on the tables and have a clear plastic cover we put on it every time we use it..... And of coarse I imagine you can actually take the material off if you want to revert to the original....brilliant idea.....

Back